New Member / Tech. Inspection for chain

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Hey everyone, I'm Dominick. I'm new with N2 and track days. I'll be riding next Sunday at NCBike and want to make sure my chain tension is right. Right now, I've got a bit under 2 inches of slack, unloaded, on my 06' SV650. Chain is in good condition. I figured this may be a bit much travel but I figured i'd ask anyway. Not trying to fail tech on my 1st track day of the season.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Don't fret about it too much. That is easily adjusted. The idea is, you don't want your chain too tight which results in not allowing your suspension to use its full range of motion.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, what Tim said. We usually find them too tight. I would put it on the looser side of the adjustment range listed in your manual, which it sounds like you've done.

bmart

Control Rider
Sounds like you're on track.

I set mine so that it is 1-3mm from touching the bottom chain guard (under the swingarm) at it's tightest point, using my finger pushing it up with some force.

If you like geometry...here's why it changes when you ride, the front chain pivot and swingarm pivot aren't the same.

1682017978591.png