New Member w/questions

GSXR_K5rider

Hey,

I'm new here, interested in participating in some track days during Summer 2016. Anyways, the questions:

1. I'm trying to understand how the membership program works, from what I've read it seems like the membership package allows for a certain set of benefits, but is not the cost to enter the track for a track day I've registered for. Correct?

2. Does a membership allow for certain discounts when registering for track days?

I'm assuming membership is yearly and the cost is one time, but if it isn't please let me know.

That's really all I have right now, I've heard a lot of good things about this organization so I'm really looking forward to attending some track days where I can push myself and learn in an environment that carries less risks than street riding.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Ravi S.

Motofun352

Control Rider
membership is for the whole year...there are several levels, basic membership and elite membership...also specials for servicemen(women).

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
1) Correct. The two different membership levels (Basic/Elite) offer certain set of benefits. The Elite membership offers everything the basic does, and more. You don't have to have a membership to register for a track day (at least was the case last year), but the non-membership prices are higher. If you run the numbers, it only makes sense to buy the basic membership, even if you only did two track days a year. You'd save more money.

2) Yes. The Elite membership has other benefits over the Basic membership. One of those benefits being the track day is cheaper for an Elite member over a Basic member. As far as which one is best for you, that's totally up to you and how many track days you plan on doing. To be honest, if you're doing more than 3-4 track days for the year, the Elite membership is totally worth it.

3) Membership is yearly - and it's from when you purchased it. So if you bought your membership in June 2015, it will still be valid until June 2016. It does not go by calendar year, that way you don't get cheated if you bought the membership later in the season. You can always renew early too if you like - again, using June as the example. Say you can't make any track days in June, but you do a track day in May. You can renew your membership in May and it will still expire that next year in June.

Track riding is a blast. I know you'll love it. What tracks are you looking at riding?

GSXR_K5rider

1) Correct. The two different membership levels (Basic/Elite) offer certain set of benefits. The Elite membership offers everything the basic does, and more. You don't have to have a membership to register for a track day (at least was the case last year), but the non-membership prices are higher. If you run the numbers, it only makes sense to buy the basic membership, even if you only did two track days a year. You'd save more money.

2) Yes. The Elite membership has other benefits over the Basic membership. One of those benefits being the track day is cheaper for an Elite member over a Basic member. As far as which one is best for you, that's totally up to you and how many track days you plan on doing. To be honest, if you're doing more than 3-4 track days for the year, the Elite membership is totally worth it.

3) Membership is yearly - and it's from when you purchased it. So if you bought your membership in June 2015, it will still be valid until June 2016. It does not go by calendar year, that way you don't get cheated if you bought the membership later in the season. You can always renew early too if you like - again, using June as the example. Say you can't make any track days in June, but you do a track day in May. You can renew your membership in May and it will still expire that next year in June.

Track riding is a blast. I know you'll love it. What tracks are you looking at riding?

Ah, I see. I'm thinking 1-2 track days in the summer so I'll probably go with the basic membership for now. Wow, it seems like the program is flexible to an extent regarding renewing, which lines up with a lot of the positive things I've heard about N2. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a whole lot more than street riding, especially after I was rear-ended in August of 2015. I'm hoping to ride VIR (full course), NC BIKE, and maybe a track in NJ.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Ah, I see. I'm thinking 1-2 track days in the summer so I'll probably go with the basic membership for now. Wow, it seems like the program is flexible to an extent regarding renewing, which lines up with a lot of the positive things I've heard about N2. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a whole lot more than street riding, especially after I was rear-ended in August of 2015. I'm hoping to ride VIR (full course), NC BIKE, and maybe a track in NJ.

All of those tracks are a blast to ride! Be sure to read over the Rider's Manual ( http://www.n2td.org/manuals-and-forms/ ) and ask away (Both here and at the track) if you have any questions in getting you and your bike prepped for the day. While you don't *have* to have your bike 100% track ready (lights taped, numbers, etc, all covered in the rider's manual) when you show up to the track, it sure makes life easier. It's just one less thing you have to worry about once you get there. But even if you're not 100% ready, we almost always have what you need to get your bike track ready.

CBRtist

I've heard a lot of good things about this organization so I'm really looking forward to attending some track days where I can push myself and learn in an environment that carries less risks than street riding.

This ^ makes me very :)

You won't be disappointed. Welcome to the N2 Family. :like:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! The other guys answered you questions very well, so all I've got right now is a big welcome to N2!

GSXR_K5rider

I just thought of this, is any form of vehicle insurance required for a track bike? I had liability while I was using the bike on the street, full coverage just doesn't make sense on what is now an 11 year old bike as replacement parts are everywhere.

Additionally, and perhaps I'm several steps ahead of myself here but I am working on a plan to "prep" the bike for track use over the next few months (bike will be used for both street and track), so I'm looking at doing the following:

- Basic track prep (safety wire where necessary)
- Sharkskinz Race fairings (Upper/Lower/Tail)
- Remove headlight, tail light, and mirrors

I'd rather not have to worry about potentially damaging expensive to replace OEM bodywork, and with all that gone I think it would be easier for me to focus on improving my riding.

GSXR_K5rider

***Edit: My insurance company advised me to maintain liability coverage as I normally would. So that answers that...

mpusch

Micah
Not an expert here, but I believe it's fairly common to keep comprehensive as well, mostly to protect you if it's stolen.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Who do you have your insurance with? State Farm won't cover damage during track days or so I was told. So I am building a track only bike.

GSXR_K5rider

Who do you have your insurance with? State Farm won't cover damage during track days or so I was told. So I am building a track only bike.

Had insurance with Progressive, they wouldn't say upfront if any damages on track would be covered, the representative said it would be at the discretion of the adjuster. I thought about making my current bike track only and purchasing another bike for street riding, but that is several years in the future.

CBRtist

Had insurance with Progressive, they wouldn't say upfront if any damages on track would be covered, the representative said it would be at the discretion of the adjuster. I thought about making my current bike track only and purchasing another bike for street riding, but that is several years in the future.

I used my street bike for mostly track when I was married and I was told the loophole in regards to that is that track days are not "a timed event", so it was covered. Maybe that's why your representative was squirrelly ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I used my street bike for mostly track when I was married and I was told the loophole in regards to that is that track days are not "a timed event", so it was covered. Maybe that's why your representative was squirrelly ;)
Totally depends on the carrier and state. State Farm in NJ used to cover non-timed events at the track. My understanding is that they no longer do. Best thing is to check with your agent on a yearly basis, things change. Every carrier is different, and the same carrier may have different rules in different states. Check so you don't have any surprises.

GSXR_KSrider, agreed that full collision coverage on an 11 year old bike doesn't make sense. But yeah, as far as I know, if you ride on the street, you need a minimum of liability, which usually isn't that expensive.

I bought my 07 GSXR track bike new. I registered and insured it (liability only) for about a year or so. I did that because getting the title was important to me, and so I could ride it on the street for a bit. Once I turned it into a full-on track only bike, I dropped registration and insurance. I don't think my company will do just theft only, but at this point the bike is 9 years old so I haven't bothered to check.

As is always said, don't bring anything to the track that your not willing to throw in the dumpster. It doesn't have to happen all that often, but on occasion it does. Welcome again!

mpusch

Micah
I pretty much wouldn't count on insurance covering anything on the track unless you have it in writing.

And I agree that most companies (all?) will require you to have to have liability to get comprehensive (theft).

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Totally depends on the carrier and state. State Farm in NJ used to cover non-timed events at the track. My understanding is that they no longer do. Best thing is to check with your agent on a yearly basis, things change. Every carrier is different, and the same carrier may have different rules in different states. Check so you don't have any surprises.

GSXR_KSrider, agreed that full collision coverage on an 11 year old bike doesn't make sense. But yeah, as far as I know, if you ride on the street, you need a minimum of liability, which usually isn't that expensive.

I bought my 07 GSXR track bike new. I registered and insured it (liability only) for about a year or so. I did that because getting the title was important to me, and so I could ride it on the street for a bit. Once I turned it into a full-on track only bike, I dropped registration and insurance. I don't think my company will do just theft only, but at this point the bike is 9 years old so I haven't bothered to check.

As is always said, don't bring anything to the track that your not willing to throw in the dumpster. It doesn't have to happen all that often, but on occasion it does. Welcome again!

Are you happy with your decision to buy a brand new bike for track days? I have given the idea of a new bike for track days a thought or two. I think I might do that in a couple of years when my skills improve. But for now I have an older used bike.