New Member w/questions

GSXR_K5rider

Thanks again for the welcome, I'll probably keep liability on it just because it will be going back and forth between street and track for a few years.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
This is just my two cents from my experience, so take it for what it's worth. But when I wanted to get into track riding, I was looking for a track ready bike that could also double as my street bike. Found it, and did the track fairing to street fairing swap for all of...I dunno, about 4 track days (I did 12 my first year, goes to show you how bad I got hooked). By all means I'd recommend trying a track day or two to see what you think...but to do it all over again, buy a track prepped bike already. Saves you a lot of money in the long run. I totally understand any sentimental attachment you may have with your bike, but damn is it awfully expensive to take a bone stock street bike to a modestly built track bike.

The 04/05 GSXR 600/750 is a common platform. No doubt you could score a decent 04/05 track bike already prepped, allowing you to keep your current bike in street form, possibly even allowing some easy part swapping if need be. Of course, this is all assuming you have the other resources (space to keep an extra bike, money, etc). However...if you're like the rest of us, you'll do a handful of trackdays and soon find your street bike collecting dust in the garage...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Are you happy with your decision to buy a brand new bike for track days? I have given the idea of a new bike for track days a thought or two. I think I might do that in a couple of years when my skills improve. But for now I have an older used bike.
Well, it's not the most economical way to do it, that's for sure. For less money, you can find a good used bike with all the goodies already on it, suspension, etc. But, there is something fun about taking a clean slate and putting on exactly what you want. Depends on budget, needs.....lots of factors. Not sure what I'd do next should I decide I want something different...but I'd check out used with the goodies on it before committing to another new bike.

1up5down

Control Rider
Are you happy with your decision to buy a brand new bike for track days? I have given the idea of a new bike for track days a thought or two. I think I might do that in a couple of years when my skills improve. But for now I have an older used bike.

My apologies to the OP as I don't mean the thread jack. I have two race/track prepped R6's that I purchased new and had built for the track only use. I was pleased and remain pleased with my decisions.

Nothing wrong with doing it any one way, just do it the way you are comfortable with and works best for you and your wallet. For me, I wanted to have a well built bike that was suited to my taste and preference. I wanted to have the history on the bike versus leaving it to chance. For that I had to pay a price and as with all things in life you pay one way or another. Lucky for me, I didn't have to pay top dollar for the bikes new as I bought year model left overs and when the economy was at it's low point.

I'll do it a 3rd time, if I decide on moving off of the r6.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
My apologies to the OP as I don't mean the thread jack. I have two race/track prepped R6's that I purchased new and had built for the track only use. I was pleased and remain pleased with my decisions.

Nothing wrong with doing it any one way, just do it the way you are comfortable with and works best for you and your wallet. For me, I wanted to have a well built bike that was suited to my taste and preference. I wanted to have the history on the bike versus leaving it to chance. For that I had to pay a price and as with all things in life you pay one way or another. Lucky for me, I didn't have to pay top dollar for the bikes new as I bought year model left overs and when the economy was at it's low point.

I'll do it a 3rd time, if I decide on moving off of the r6.
Thanks for your input. I am always interested in why people do things the way they do them. Especially when when the info comes from people who know what they are talking about. I almost went down the new bike road this year. My local dealer has a brand new 2014 R6 still sitting on the showroom floor marked way down. But I can't afford it :(

GSXR_K5rider

This is just my two cents from my experience, so take it for what it's worth. But when I wanted to get into track riding, I was looking for a track ready bike that could also double as my street bike. Found it, and did the track fairing to street fairing swap for all of...I dunno, about 4 track days (I did 12 my first year, goes to show you how bad I got hooked). By all means I'd recommend trying a track day or two to see what you think...but to do it all over again, buy a track prepped bike already. Saves you a lot of money in the long run. I totally understand any sentimental attachment you may have with your bike, but damn is it awfully expensive to take a bone stock street bike to a modestly built track bike.

The 04/05 GSXR 600/750 is a common platform. No doubt you could score a decent 04/05 track bike already prepped, allowing you to keep your current bike in street form, possibly even allowing some easy part swapping if need be. Of course, this is all assuming you have the other resources (space to keep an extra bike, money, etc). However...if you're like the rest of us, you'll do a handful of trackdays and soon find your street bike collecting dust in the garage...

I wish I could afford to buy a second bike or even a new bike as a track ready bike, but at this point in time I have neither the space nor the money. As far as parts go my bike is extremely common as you said, I just didn't want to deal with replacing bodywork if I happen to crash the bike.

1up5down, no worries! Luckily for me this bike was purchased from the 1st owner with about ~1,200 miles in 2012 (it's a 2005 K5 750) so it was barely used and its been with me since then so every service has been completed and I know how its been treated in general (I'm very meticulous with my bikes). I think, personally, I'd rather just invest some money into making this a street/track bike where I can go back and forth between each trim. Thanks for all the input for everyone, it was very helpful.

Last edited:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Alternating between street and track duty is time consuming and tedious.

You'll also find you end up "enjoying" your street riding much less than you enjoy your track time.

GSXR_K5rider

Two more questions hopefully someone can answer:

1. I have a Sena SMH10R fitted to my helmet, am I allowed to keep this attached to the helmet while riding at the track and use it, or is it something I need to remove?

2. My exhaust has been shortened and I do not have an exhaust hanger bracket, it is secured with four bolts to the mid pipe which is subsequently bolted to the headers, do I need an exhaust hanger to comply with tech?

Please let me know! Thanks!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Two more questions hopefully someone can answer:

1. I have a Sena SMH10R fitted to my helmet, am I allowed to keep this attached to the helmet while riding at the track and use it, or is it something I need to remove?

2. My exhaust has been shortened and I do not have an exhaust hanger bracket, it is secured with four bolts to the mid pipe which is subsequently bolted to the headers, do I need an exhaust hanger to comply with tech?

Please let me know! Thanks!

GSXR,

1. I would pass that helmet through tech, I don't see a problem with it. Your focus will be riding.
2. As long as your exhaust is secured you should be fine.

See you out there!