New old guy

rmadursk

Howdy,

I have been riding 2-wheeled vehicles for over 40 years. Mostly sports oriented but a couple of cruisers and lots of dirt in the younger days.

Just recently picked up another bike and I am looking forward to getting it on the track for familiarization. It is a Sport Touring bike used mostly for commuting but I want to ride it better and more confidently. I am hoping you guys can help me out with that.

Once my suit arrives I'll be making a reservation for PIRC on the 25th. I want to make sure it fits before I commit :)

Have fun,

Ron

matt2212

Welcome to NESBA Ron,

You are about to have the time of your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Read through the riders manual and don't hesitate to ask any questions on the forum or at the track!

rmadursk

Might need a helmet...

HondaGalToo;272201 wrote: Welcome! Read through the riders manual and don't hesitate to ask any questions on the forum or at the track!
Yup, did that. That's how I knew I needed a suit (that zips). I usually wear leather or mesh overpants on the street but there is no zipper.

I'm a little concerned that my helmet may not pass tech. It has 2 or 3 nicks in the shell but has never hit the ground. I think the nicks are from bouncing around in my truck :doh:. I might try to figure out how to post pictures and get some opinions on it. I didn't see anything in the manual that indicated loaner/rental helmets were an option.

Have fun,

Ron

matt2212

rmadursk;272204 wrote: Yup, did that. That's how I knew I needed a suit (that zips). I usually wear leather or mesh overpants on the street but there is no zipper.

I'm a little concerned that my helmet may not pass tech. It has 2 or 3 nicks in the shell but has never hit the ground. I think the nicks are from bouncing around in my truck :doh:. I might try to figure out how to post pictures and get some opinions on it. I didn't see anything in the manual that indicated loaner/rental helmets were an option.

Have fun,

Ron
Post a pic but it should be fine

Last Week

Welcome to Nesba. The CRs are great and they will get you to where you need to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Dave561

Control Rider
rmadursk;272204 wrote: Yup, did that. That's how I knew I needed a suit. that zips). I usually wear leather or mesh overpants on the street but there is no zipper.

Have fun,

Ron
A nick or two shouldnt be a problem depending on what you consider a nick. If you have any question on helmet integrity best to replace it.

Welcome to the addiction.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree small nicks shouldn't be a problem, but I'd put it in a helmet bag and not let it roll around the back of a truck. Also, how old is it? If it's over 5 years it should be replaced.

mike_21

Control Rider
Welcome Ron!. I did my first track day on a Hayabusa. Had so much fun I bought a track bike the very next week.

rmadursk

Helmet pics

matt2212;272208 wrote: Post a pic but it should be fine

20130503_074506_resized_zps68455f3c.jpg

20130503_074534_resized_zps6ae92b21.jpg

These are the 2 worst ones. I plan on a purchasing a new helmet before the season is over but the suit took away too big a chunk of the saved funds for that right now.

I thought about moving this off to a new thread but it seems relevant to noob issues.

Have fun,

Ron

mike_21

Control Rider
Ron, Those nicks are not a problem but you should check the date stamp on the helmet. NG after 5 years (like Judy said)

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Welcome, and don't worry about being an old[er] guy... There are plenty of us out here, some more gray than others!

Kidding aside, the biggest problem you'll have is trying to wipe the smile off your face. First track day takes about a week or so.

Enjoy.

stkr

Welcome aboard :cool:

The track has no maximum age, so you're good to go. I'm 47 and I have no plans to quit riding any time soon. Oh, that helmet is just fine.

The date code is either under the liner on the shell, or it's etched onto the d-ring for the chin strap.

Just have fun and relax out there.

rmadursk

Never too old, I hope

Not worried about my age, yet :D

The lid is definitely more than 5 years old (Did I miss that spec in the riders manual?). It is an M2000.

Sounds like my budget is going to be blown :doh: Looks like I might need to be nice to the wife for a much longer time.

Have fun,

Ron