New to N2

TripleN675

Thank you for all the responses. I'm in no hurry of being bumped just to be bumped I'm just here to learn and have fun and hit my marks lap after lap. I have no problem being in Novice and I actually may bringing a new to me bike so it would benefit me to be in the Novice group.
I look forward to riding with N2 for my first time. Once again thanks for the responses. Gonna be fun!

TripleN675

I was reading the track/riders manual and I'm curious to know if the 30 min classroom session for Novice is mandatory if you've been to the track multiple times already and know the flags, hand signals, and line?

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yes, it is. The morning class session is mandatory for all Novice riders. Don't sweat it. The Novice session doesn't start until 40 minutes past, so you don't lose any riding time. Just have your bike and gear all ready before the riders meeting, and if nothing else, it's a great way for you to meet the control riders and others at the track. Also, sometimes during that session there are other topics covered, like body position, etc. There is also a lunchtime "class" for Novice group riders (or anybody else who wants to attend). It's not mandatory but if you really want to progress, there are some really good CRs who have been through - and often instructed - at YCRS and they're the ones giving the instruction. It's all low key, and really intended to help you progress through the groups. Take advantage of it! After all, you paid for it!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I was reading the track/riders manual and I'm curious to know if the 30 min classroom session for Novice is mandatory if you've been to the track multiple times already and know the flags, hand signals, and line?

Yes, you attend the appropriate meeting for whichever group you're assigned to. Mandatory attendance for the general rider's meeting, then Intermediate group and Novice group split off and do their own group-specific meeting. Everyone attends the general rider's meeting, whether you are a first time rider or hold a Moto America license.

I will admit it can be tough at times when working with some guys that might have done a track day or two with another org then start in Novice with us. However it poses far more of a safety hazard to put someone that doesn't belong in Intermediate group than it is to put an Intermediate rider in Novice. An Intermediate rider will be able to safely set up passes and get by the majority of Novice riders. Unless we mutually know someone that can vouch for your ability, you'll more than likely start off in Novice. Trust me, it's abundantly clear if you're I group material.

We run it this way because if we had a dollar for every person that said they were Intermediate or Advanced material and were indeed not, well...I'd be a rich man.

TripleN675

Yes, you attend the appropriate meeting for whichever group you're assigned to. Mandatory attendance for the general rider's meeting, then Intermediate group and Novice group split off and do their own group-specific meeting. Everyone attends the general rider's meeting, whether you are a first time rider or hold a Moto America license.

I will admit it can be tough at times when working with some guys that might have done a track day or two with another org then start in Novice with us. However it poses far more of a safety hazard to put someone that doesn't belong in Intermediate group than it is to put an Intermediate rider in Novice. An Intermediate rider will be able to safely set up passes and get by the majority of Novice riders. Unless we mutually know someone that can vouch for your ability, you'll more than likely start off in Novice. Trust me, it's abundantly clear if you're I group material.

We run it this way because if we had a dollar for every person that said they were Intermediate or Advanced material and were indeed not, well...I'd be a rich man.
Lol I completely understand. Some people I know that are also going that have never been to the track asked me if they should sign up for intermediate or advanced. I told them Novice, so I can understand where you're coming from. Thank you for the other timely information and I look forward to being on the track for the first time with N2!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You'll notice we always err on the side of caution. I (and any other staff member) would rather have someone mildly upset because they were "held back" for whatever reason (group placement, CR told them not to pass, etc) but kept it upright than letting them do whatever and seeing them crash and ruin their bike and possibly the weekend over something that was easily preventable.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Another thing you'll notice is that the N2 groups on average are faster than most other track day organizations. Back what I was in intermediate I was running A with a bunch of other groups.

D2R6

"A" - nOOb
And when you are out learning all you can and having fun not even thinking about what group you are in... a CR pulls you aside and says, have you thought about a bump to the next group?
You may not think they see you but if you ride like you should be in the next group, they will let you know.

Get out there and have fun while learning = awesome!