New to the track. Advice please!

Caveman

Have the rules changed?

I was told to bring beer and food for all the CR's on my 1st day. I guess since he's 16 the beer would be out of the question, but what about the food?

Glad to have you with us. GS500rider. It's a RUSH!....

GS500rider

Bubba Zanetti;115131 wrote: Yes you can rent leathers AND hell yes you have to wear boots? You think flip flops or sneakers are going to pass tech? LOL!

NESBA has a strict "NO Squids" policy:rtfm:

I do believe boots and gloves can be rented as well.

What you want to do is e-mail NESBA at: info@nesba.com and ask for clarification on the boot/ suit rental and what date you'll be heading to the track. In addition, the information is in the NESBA manual here on the site somewhere...were is the link:notsure:

Have fun brother.

BZ
Haha, what i meant is do you have to have specific over the ankle boots. I'm selling my DR200 to put all of my money into this track day!! :eek: Oh and I can guarantee you I'm not a "squid". Although it is my first time on the track, so it will be an experience. But I've been riding forever. Started on a honda XR100, to a roketa scooter, Mini street bike, another mini street bike, Ninja 250, DR200, and now the GS. AND I wear ALL of my gear all the time! Anyways, you get the point. Thanks for the email address. I'll see what I can rent. BTW I'm only 5"5 so I'm not sure whether they'll have anything that small????

AU_R1

Renting is good an all, but I'd def check the NESBA, STT, and WERA forums for used gear for sale. You can often find some pretty basic stuff dirt cheap. It may be the bottom of the line gear but take it from a guy who wore the A-Star bottom of the line suit all last year AND crashed in it, start with the cheap stuff. I wouldn't argue that the high end suits don't protect you better in a crash, because they do, but the low end stuff does a pretty decent job.

Wink

Happy to help, I suppose one of these days, I should write some more stuff in there... LOL!

Southerly

That guide is very good. I wish I had read it before my first track day. It explains some things a lot better than the official NESBA manual, and is very readable. The sections on how to ride track help me see most of what I have been doing wrong. (which is probably most of what I have been doing)

I was disappointed to see that the "riding in the rain" section doesn't have a link yet. I think I need that one. Hopefully we won't need it at Road Atlanta.

GS500rider

ERB68;115018 wrote: Here is a pretty good list .....

TRACK DAY CHECK LIST

BRING TO TRACK

□ Bike key
□ Lock keys
□ Contact info
□ Sunscreen
□ Change of Clothes
□ Hat
□ Sunglasses
□ Ear plugs
□ Leathers
□ Raingear
□ Helmet
□ Extra Helmet Visor(s)
□ Gloves
□ Boots
□ Back Protector
□ Gas
□ Tools
□ Tire Pressure Gauge
□ Duct Tape & Zip Ties
□ Safety Wire
□ Loctite
□ Service Manual
□ Chain Lube
□ WD-40
□ Windex
□ Spray Polish
□ Hand Cleaner
□ Rags
□ Bike stand
□ Tire Warmers
□ Extra clutch and brake levers
□ Footpegs
□ Pedals
□ Chairs
□ Canopy
□ Camera
□ Cooler
□ Snacks
□ Water

BIKE PREP PRE-TRACK

□ Tire Condition (wear)
□ Brake Pads (wear)
□ Brake Fluid Level
□ Chain; Adjust & Lube
□ Sprocket Condition
□ Valve Caps
□ Check Bolts (loose?)
□ Oil Level
□ Levers Adjusted
□ Throttle Play/Snaps Closed?
□ Check for Leaks
□ Bodywork Securely Fastened
□ Mirrors/Turn Signals Removed or Taped
□ Taillight Disconnected or Taped
□ Coolant catch tank/bottle
ERB68, I just wanted to thank you for the check list. It will be very helpful tomorrow!

To everyone else, see you at Road Atlanta! I'll be there thursday night. Hopefully get to meet some of you guys!

Wink

JRA;115411 wrote: Great site Brian. We should promote this more to the new guys!

Thanks John, appreciate the thought.

Southerly;115587 wrote:
That guide is very good. I wish I had read it before my first track day. It explains some things a lot better than the official NESBA manual, and is very readable. The sections on how to ride track help me see most of what I have been doing wrong. (which is probably most of what I have been doing)

I was disappointed to see that the "riding in the rain" section doesn't have a link yet. I think I need that one. Hopefully we won't need it at Road Atlanta.

I'll make sure to write the Rain section next then. :) Thanks.

ERB68

GS500rider;117741 wrote: ERB68, I just wanted to thank you for the check list. It will be very helpful tomorrow!

To everyone else, see you at Road Atlanta! I'll be there thursday night. Hopefully get to meet some of you guys!
Glad to help.

The Apexjunkie site is very good too.

Enjoy!!

1st TD

don't forget that your tires need time to warm up EACH SESSION.

Also, you will have a lot less pressure in them than on the street. ask someone there.

between sessions, (and assuming you have stands) I put tire warmers on my tires (unplugged) to keep the heat in. it worked great. if you don't have t warmers, use a space blanket or something. it really helps with heat cycles.

HYDRATE. drink before you're thirsty.

find some videos of the track on youtube so you can have a feel. it helps.

ear plugs. use them.

Control Riders/Coaches. Use them.

GS500rider

zenpixel@yahoo.com;117830 wrote: don't forget that your tires need time to warm up EACH SESSION.

Also, you will have a lot less pressure in them than on the street. ask someone there.

between sessions, (and assuming you have stands) I put tire warmers on my tires (unplugged) to keep the heat in. it worked great. if you don't have t warmers, use a space blanket or something. it really helps with heat cycles.

HYDRATE. drink before you're thirsty.

find some videos of the track on youtube so you can have a feel. it helps.

ear plugs. use them.

Control Riders/Coaches. Use them.
Thanks for the advice. I have a rear stand but no front. No tire warmers. Bringing plenty of water. Although I've never ridden hard on road atlanta, I'm very familiar with the track. (AMA, track tour, iRacing, LeMans, ect.) As for ear plugs, I never thought of that. Thanks :)

front stand

if you pit next to someone in another group, you may be able to borrow a stand while s/he's on the track.
no big deal.

WATCH YOUR GAS! you will be very unpopular if you get red flagged for running out while on the track.

SIGNAL EARLY if you're getting off pace. do it several turns before the pit out.

have fun. it's a blast

GS500rider

Wow, So I'm back now (only went friday). It was AWESOME, LOL. Now I just need a faster bike. The GS did amazing in the turns, but as soon as I got to the back straight it was bike after bike after bike flying by. Wide open could only get the GS to about 103 on the back staright. :( (BTW I bought a membership so hopefully see some people at barber? Will be a much much better track for the GS.