Ok, so what do you do when

snikwad

You know when youre doing some decent laps for your pace, and moving thru the traffic and you see that one dude ahead, and he looks like hes moving at about your pace, and you dive into the turn knee down, or almost knee down right behind them, thinking, ok at his pace, by the time he hits the apex, i'll be close enough that i can drive out by him/her but then, suddenly, youre leaned way the hell over, and closing on his/her rear tire WAAAYYY to fast.

what are you supposed to do, i think a few times i actually touched my brake when this happen, but im thinking its gonna get me in trouble of i keep it up.

i mean ive done it, but it is the right thing to do, to gently brake at a lean angle like that? Or am i getting fixated on their wheel and not looking to use the rest of the real estate around them?

snikwad

this is in a case where rolling off the throttle doesnt seem to help either.
Like, theoretically, in a race situation, if this were to happen and you were boxed in by another racer on your outside, what do you do.

vanelli56

I would say just ease to the outside, give him one of these...:flipoff:
and drive away like you just owned that guy! :second:

Nah.... I am no expert by any means of the imagination, but if it were me, depending on the track and the space available, I would most likely try to use some of the available real estate on the outside. Just maybe ease off the throttle ever so slightly, ease your line out a bit, and square him up coming off the turn to get a run on him. The main thing is not to over do anything to upset the bike mid turn.... unfortunatly sometimes we are forced too do that, so the only thing you can do is try not to hit the guy. :dunno:

Of course the best advise is to not get into a situation like that.... but it does happen, and there are so many scenarios that could play out depending on the conditions.... but when all else fails.... EJECT EJECT EJECT!!!! :doh:
j/k.... dont do that.

snikwad

hahah, no ejecting. i think the few times its happened it caught me totally off guard, i remember once at VIR -s i had to stand the bike up a bit and go wide and try again at the next corner.

i need to work on utilizing the entire track and stop obsessing about the perfect line so much, its like, in my head i dont want to get off my chosen line at all.

crewnutz

in a race this happens a lot when you try to go in for a pass and arent quite there

you just have to hold your line AND be steady with the brakes........or alter your line and proceed safely around the other rider..........it really depends on the situation

i think it has to be more in instinctual than anything......if its not something you dont have to think about then many less experienced riders will tend to panic and make a hairy situation turn into a bad situation

Cole

playing with the brakes at the apex leads to disaster
unless you were trailing the whole way there (and even after like some people i know, BigKid!)
you were looking to catch him anyway, right?
always look around him for that real estate he isn't using to put the pass on
then do a celebratory power wheelie proudly displaying who's #1

RCM78

You explained your problem in your third post. Practice alternate lines. Get proficient at entering turns from anywhere on the track. Don't ride DIRECTLY behind the rider in front of you, and ALWAYS have a way out... Remember it's a track day. Racing is different...

aowens2

I am no racer, yet, but all the information in the world about something like this can't always save you when your out there. Shit kinda goes out the window when your about to run somebody over when your both moving about 130mph. Experience and track time is probably key here.

Hazo

I agree with the responses above but would like to add my $.02...Avoid even looking at the rear of the bike in front of you. Try to look to the space around and in front the bike in front of you and to the spaces / bike in front of them ( What if there is some one in front of the guy in front of you that parks it in the turn. In the situation you describe, it happens fast and if you hold your glance at the rear of the bike directly in front of you for a second you will hit it. This also applies to every where on the track..When you are fixated on something very close and down ( rear tire of the bike infront of you, or Apex for that matter ) things move fast..but, raising your vision and awareness up and ahead ( few bikes ahead or turn exit or next turn in ) things will slow down and you will feel more comfortable making adjustments.

Hope this helps

Greg

Demps

aowens2;46467 wrote: I am no racer, yet, but all the information in the world about something like this can't always save you when your out there. Shit kinda goes out the window when your about to run somebody over when your both moving about 130mph. Experience and track time is probably key here.

130 MPH at the apex of a corner...ummmm...what corner are we talking about again. Very few of those around.

snikwad

guys this weekend, at Road atlanta, i found myself looking around the guy infront, and not at their tire, and the few people i did pass in corners, i found no matter how huge the difference in speed and how i was closing, i quickly found a way around them, because i simply was sizing up the real estate while closing, instead of their wheel.

nice.. thanks.

Cole

The old turn one at Brainerd!
I've heard stories of AMA pros leaning in at over 180mph
... that's a serious set of nuts.

Chad Dupree

don't forget turn 9 at Roebling Road in Savannah. To get a good lap time at Roebling you need to be going about 130-140 thru turn 9 with knee on ground.

aowens2

:wow:
Revvin' Evan;47066 wrote: Turns 2 and 12 at Jennings

First time at Rd ATL this past weeknd, and I guess its turn 9, my speedo don't work but my buddy said we were coming down the hill torward 10a doing 160, so yeah....

Meat

I think there was probably a bit more screwy riding at RA this year since it was most peoples' first track day of the year, including me. I was very cautious passing. I would follow a guy that is slower than me for a lap. Decide to carry more speed than him into T6, then suddenly he figures out he can carry more speed into T6 and I have to use the Snikwad corner braking drill. I had to do it 2 times pretty hard into T6 and the second time I felt much better and more controlled.

For me, it is just needing more experience to teach me how to pass a little better and how to correct when my pass isn't possible.