Ok, so what do you do when

snikwad

Hahah, yeah T6 makes for some sweet passing, you can kinda carry it into T7 also.
Cats were smoking me on the T3 and T4 chicanes all day, and also on T5.

Damn it, does anyone have footage or photos from T1. I love T1, its so sick, I wanna see me thru there.

Meat

snikwad;47333 wrote: Hahah, yeah T6 makes for some sweet passing, you can kinda carry it into T7 also.
Cats were smoking me on the T3 and T4 chicanes all day, and also on T5.

Damn it, does anyone have footage or photos from T1. I love T1, its so sick, I wanna see me thru there.
Well sounds like you were doing better than me because I was getting smoked everywhere but the pits. Very few people passed me in the pits ;)

nategrant1234

Biggest thing to remember is the guy in front has the line in this situation. You should be in enough control of your bike that if he does "park it" you can correct your line. Lets all remember that there is no reason to be on top of someone at these trackdays. To many time when we get out there we start thinking that this actually means something. If you follow the rules of how close you should be to someone else you will do alot to reduce the amount of these occurances. Well that is my humble opinion...what do I know. :popcorn:

PJZOCC624

I'd say give him the outside, REALLY lean the bike over, and take the inside, and if need be use the rear brake *WHAT???*.... I've gotten away from using the rear brake in turns, but I used to LOVE using the rear. People have talked me out of using it, but the rear shouldn't upset the steering or stability as much as using the front in a turn, and should allow you to slow up enough to let you find a better way around a slower rider.

Revvin' Evan

icebergmikey;49497 wrote: LOL...is that what you didnt do at Jennings?? LMAO..j/k!:dunno:
You bet!!! Would you like to school us on braking for the cops??????? I hear your good at that.:haha::doh:

crewnutz

you guys need to learn to use the front brakes to the max before messin with the rear..............i know guys who run 14's at summit main on a 600 who dont touch the rear brake

PJZOCC624

^Since the original question was about a specific situation, and not about how to improve lap times, I'm wondering what the point is? The rear brake can be used to assist the bike with turn in and scrubbing speed in situations like the original post. I'm not an "A" rider, racer, or fastest in the "I" group, but I've done enough track days over the past few years to know what works for me and what doesnt. And, yes, I do know how to get the most out of my front brake.

justariot66

REAR BRAKE.....REAR BRAKE is that the thing I have to line up with that bracket (which annoyingly falls off) back there by my rear tire? The thing with 8 year old brake pads, actually I dont know for sure if there are even pads in there.

As for the original question slow down so you dont run into him, match his speed entering the corner and apply speed mid corner and gun it on corner exit, however I do tend to spin the rear a little bit after 2-3 track days. So watch the high side.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Didn't read all of the responses but here is my 2c.

You need to make passes BEFORE or AFTER apex. Unless you are racing for position, this scenario shouldn't come up. To see this at a trackday would show a bit of poor judgment on the passer's part. So, the best solution is to not put yourself into this position.

I always leave myself an out when attempting to make a pass. I leave more room to lean over more, can run wide, can use the front brake.... At least one out has to be available for me before I will attempt to make a pass. If it's not there, I can wait for a cleaner opportunity. Too many people get wrapped up into "can I pass" they forget to think about " should I pass".

crewnutz

PJZOCC17;49690 wrote: ^Since the original question was about a specific situation, and not about how to improve lap times, I'm wondering what the point is? The rear brake can be used to assist the bike with turn in and scrubbing speed in situations like the original post. I'm not an "A" rider, racer, or fastest in the "I" group, but I've done enough track days over the past few years to know what works for me and what doesnt. And, yes, I do know how to get the most out of my front brake.
its not a matter of improving lap times............im not trying to talk down to you either

my point is if X rider can do X lap time in a race and not once touch the rear brake (even when working through traffic or having someone block his pass at the apex of a turn) it says something

most riders should be concentrating on other things rather than trying to use the rear brake....

sorry but most A riders dont even get the most from their front brakes.........no need to get defensive, its the truth

you can use the front brake at the apex of a turn.......you just have to be ever so gentle & smooth

A59

I still love the feeling I get when I come to the kink at Nelson, and I see the track narrow, and I anticipate the bump at the apex, I just got to stop hitting that cone with my elbow and keep my knee out of the dirt. Maybe I'll be able to keep it pinned this year? We'll see in June. But damn it's fast!

snikwad

crewnutz;49856 wrote: its not a matter of improving lap times............im not trying to talk down to you either

my point is if X rider can do X lap time in a race and not once touch the rear brake (even when working through traffic or having someone block his pass at the apex of a turn) it says something

most riders should be concentrating on other things rather than trying to use the rear brake....

sorry but most A riders dont even get the most from their front brakes.........no need to get defensive, its the truth

you can use the front brake at the apex of a turn.......you just have to be ever so gentle & smooth
This i agree with.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I agree with crewnutz on this. I never use the rear brake except to keep the bike from rolling when I am at pit out. I am not the fastest A guy but I do well and I don't even think about the rear brake, unless I go offroading, then it's a must. Until the front is squirming around on you, you haven't reached anywhere near the limit of front brakes. Once you do that you are forced to learn how to set your corner speed closer to the corner. Once this is learned then the rear brake can start to make an appearance. This would be my 4c now ;)