PittRace "Red Flags" and the kink, questions?

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
While not a smart decision to attempt a pass at that moment... there was still track available to use and no need to run off and bury your stuff... geez.
I don't think it was a moment thing, it was just a bad decision. Why that decision was made is the question. Does the guy know or not know the track? If he does know the track he would know that people drift back to track left to open the radius for the high speed kink. With that 1k he should've waited half a second and then motored by on the camera bike's right side, not attempt a pass on the side the camera bike is going to drift to. Even better, he should've realized the pass was going to be made too late and should've just abandoned the attempt entirely. Also, it was the first session of the day.

After he dipped into the grass there was not enough pavement for him to get stopped imo.

Also lol at one of our N2 normal riders on an gen2 SV taking both of those bikes to school going down the hill on the back straight and then again into t3 and t4 and then disappearing out of t5.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I don't think it was a moment thing, it was just a bad decision. Why that decision was made is the question. Does the guy know or not know the track? If he does know the track he would know that people drift back to track left to open the radius for the high speed kink. With that 1k he should've waited half a second and then motored by on the camera bike's right side, not attempt a pass on the side the camera bike is going to drift to. Even better, he should've realized the pass was going to be made too late and should've just abandoned the attempt entirely. Also, it was the first session of the day.

After he dipped into the grass there was not enough pavement for him to get stopped imo.

Also lol at one of our N2 normal riders on an gen2 SV taking both of those bikes to school going down the hill on the back straight and then again into t3 and t4 and then disappearing out of t5.
I agree, its a tough call to say why but the speed difference was a lot and there isn't much track to work with at that speed. Watching the whole video there was quite a difference in speed in that group. Might be people that never rode there vs people that know it vert well, either way it sucks for the rider that didn't stay on 2 wheels. Hope they are ok.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
The endurance races on Saturday had no red flags (with the exception of the one due to lightning that ended the race early). Everyone made it through the 2-hour and 6-hour endurance races cleanly with several racers saying they actually like the change. With any change, it takes people a little while to first adjust to the news, then to adjust and figure out how to run the new configuration. We saw this happen at Road Atlanta when we used the chicane for our first event almost a decade ago. There was a lot of crying and complaining ahead of time, but in the end people figured it out and embraced the change.

This configuration is the one that pro-racing will be using and we have a lot of current and upcoming MotoA racers who attend our events. We will use this to be consistent.

This change was contemplated well in advance of the event, and input was provided by top pro racers and officials from several organizations. This permanent chicane (track configuration option) is a significant improvement from the temporary curbing MotoA has been using. We had a timing loop connected and cameras installed across the chicane and monitored it all weekend. Despite what several individuals were (falsely) propagating on Friday, using the chicane went quite well.
According to this post seems like going forward it will be the MotoA version.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have ALSO heard that the chicane is here to stay from my friendly neighborhood CR.

Point of inquiry, since we're on the topic of pitt...they do NOT allow track previews/walks on friday night, correct?

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Correct, you can't walk Pitt. At least they always lock the fence every night when the track goes cold.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm not convinced running the MA chicane won't create more problems than it potentially solves. We'll see. Maybe it'll work out. If not, I hope there will be consideration to not use it, depending on how it goes. If someone blows it, they are going to t-bone the rider exiting it.

I know we need to try something, that area has become problematic. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If someone blows it, they are going to t-bone the rider exiting it.

Yah that was my concern as well. A couple little flag football cones aren't much for people that are too "in the zone" to see bright red flags waving. I get that a fleet of endurance racers can manage it, but I have my concerns about the trackday heroes. Maybe string a piece of airfence across the track or something?

rpm894

Yah that was my concern as well. A couple little flag football cones aren't much for people that are too "in the zone" to see bright red flags waving. I get that a fleet of endurance racers can manage it, but I have my concerns about the trackday heroes. Maybe string a piece of airfence across the track or something?
Going through the cones shouldn’t be a safety issue if someone decides they are going too fast and has to go straight instead of turning into the chicane. The issues would arise from people turning in and then screwing up.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

It wasn't coincidence that Dunlop put their ginormous Dunlop inflatable right there at the chicane during the MA races.