Q2 rear with 209 or 211 front?

chaveezy

Mixing and matching tires is something a lot of riders are doing for some time now, but if I had to pick the grippier tire due to a financial issue, I'd go with a sticky front (ie: NTEC slick front/211GPA rear), that's about as "cheap" as I'd go as far as mixing and matching. If you were running Q2's, well then that about solidifies your pace. Honestly I believe that there are some riders that could outbrake, out corner and out-accelerate me with OEM Qualifiers but as has been said previously, nothing will make you slower than a mental lack of confidence in your tires.

Within reason, do what makes you feel the most confident :)

PS - link no worky :)

rk97

chaveezy;202068 wrote: Mixing and matching tires is something a lot of riders are doing for some time now, but if I had to pick the grippier tire due to a financial issue, I'd go with a sticky front (ie: NTEC slick front/211GPA rear), that's about as "cheap" as I'd go as far as mixing and matching.
Aren't the NTECs cheaper than the 211 GPA's? I also thought they were the same rubber compound.

This is just based on paddock chatter at a WERA event. There was some talk about allowing slicks in superstock, because the 211's grip just as well, but cost more.

rk97

There GP's are more expensive than the GPA's. I posted incorrectly above. I knew there was a difference, but guessed the wrong way on which was the better tire.

I'm seeing:

$418/set for GP's
$375/set for GP-A's
$428/set for slicks

and supposedly the slicks wear better, so they're functionally less expensive than the GP's.

chaveezy

So they were running the GP's in superstock? I figured they'd all run the GPA. Weird, I have heard the 211 wears much better than the 209 which is what I ran last year. Slicks might ultimately get you a few more days than the 211 so I guess you are technically right, I have no way to verify that statement though so I was just sticking to basic numbers for comparison.

2011 211GPA's have supposedly fixed that separation line thing when you flip them to though, I just wish they had them in a med/hard compound

j_fuggin_t

i'm running pirelli slicks now w/ a soft front & medium rear, i have 4 days on them and you'd never know it, i'm going to flip them sunday and should be good to go for quite a while until the CCS races where i have to switch back to a dot, and those slicks cost me about $390

92illpony

i guess i'm the guy that mixes and matches and i'm pretty happy. I'm running ntec slick on the front and power one on the rear. For no paticular reason than i ran at an stt date and needed a rear and they run Michelins. i picked up an ntec slick from a friend and fell in love. If i ever get enough bejamins i'll rock the rear ntec but i'm really happy with the current setup. At the last event while doing a tire change i threw on my spare rear with a q2 and beat it hard. It did do some talking but was very predictable but i was a seconds faster on race rubber. I was impressed to say the least about the quality of a hypersport tire like the Dunlop Q2.