Q2 rear with 209 or 211 front?

rk97

I'm still going strong on Q2's, but i'm thinking it's about time to get a little more serious about grip, and invest in some warmers, etc.

Would it be a dumb move to run a Q2 rear ($130) and a 211 front? I figure every time I use a Q2 rear instead of a 209 or 211, I'm saving at least $50.

Is it an asinine idea to try it? I had heard of STT coaches doing something similar with a DOT race michelin up front, but a standard pilot power in the rear. Right now I replace the front tire every second time I replace the rear, so that could be $150-$200 a season. Probably more if i want to be competitive racing.

thoughts?

LOrtega

Control Rider
A new set of body work cost $550, + possible medical bills + loss time at work + pain and suffering + clipons, levers, ETC ETC ETC ....
It will work till you end up on your head and say I should have spend the extra few bucks and bought a matching set...

Maybe your not at the speed now which mixing and matching tires makes a differance, however anyone who has riding on Q2's or 209's will tell you they have a great way of letting you know they are about to give out....

Its called a concussion

Get your self a good set of tires dial in your suspension and you can still get 2 rears to a front...nothing will make you slower than not having trust in your tires and as soon as you get a few good rear slides your going to slow yourself down and not progress

noobinacan

What he said ^
Just get fresh set...same tire.
The Q2's are different profile and carcass stiffness vs 211's or 209's.

Its not worth experimenting.

rk97

tell me how you really feel, Lou!

But that does answer my question. I rarely feel my tires slide unless i do something dumb (like chop the throttle at apex...), but I suppose more expensive rubber is inevitable if I'm going to try to keep up with faster riders.

I've just never really been afraid of losing the rear nearly as much as I have worried about losing the front. my next Q2 might be my last :(

Fastguy

rk97;201642 wrote: tell me how you really feel, Lou!

But that does answer my question. I rarely feel my tires slide unless i do something dumb (like chop the throttle at apex...), but I suppose more expensive rubber is inevitable if I'm going to try to keep up with faster riders.

I've just never really been afraid of losing the rear nearly as much as I have worried about losing the front. my next Q2 might be my last :(
:D

Are you sliding the front with your Q2's at all?

rk97

not that i can tell. The only time I have pushed the front was in T10 at BeaveRun. I was running a little wide right after apex, and had already picked up the gas a little. I panicked and chopped the throttle instead of rolling off. I felt the front move sideways the slightest bit due to my own stupidity.

Otherwise, no. And that includes 4 races without warmers. I was nervous the first lap, but the tires never rationalized my fears. I'd like to keep it that way :D

rk97

Landshark;201652 wrote: Chris, when are you going to NJMP?
maybe not at all this year :(

if there is another I/A day some time in the first 3 weeks of August, that would be my best shot. I'll have to look at the schedule though.

I've only done T-bolt.

Rydell

Q2's can still benefit from warmers. Though they're street tires, they still need atleast two warmup laps before you got full stick. I went down after 2 laps of warmup on Q2's, it came to getting warmers or going d211. It was my fault, was too much throttle coming out of a turn still leaned, but I lost confidence in those tires. I was running about 1:40-1:50 pace at VIR North with a bit of predictible sliding. Personal opinion, if you're running less than 1:40 I'd go with D211's. My pace did improve to sub 1:40 after that, but I was paying for it. Never had front sliding problems, and the rear would slide first, probably a form difference, but at the same time I was on a 600.

borislav

Control Rider
I can only speak for myselfe!Q2's are very good tires but when I tryed GPA's and GP's confidance I've got from those tires was very inspiring to try to go faster and faster!Q2's could NEVER do that after certain point!
I still get one front to two rears and rear tire last me two to three days depend is it GPA or GP!

LOrtega

Control Rider
rk97;201642 wrote: tell me how you really feel, Lou!

You will never really slide a Q2 front to much the tire does not like to slide and when it does most of the time you will lose it ..... Ask Matt H. How his great let me go cheap and get Q2 mix and match experiment work .... Ryan do you have that video? Please post it :)

rk97

borislav;201689 wrote: I can only speak for myselfe!Q2's are very good tires but when I tryed GPA's and GP's confidance I've got from those tires was very inspiring to try to go faster and faster!Q2's could NEVER do that after certain point!
I still get one front to two rears and rear tire last me two to three days depend is it GPA or GP!
This is kind of what I was expecting. I'm not at Matt H's pace, but I guess i don't want to be until I get some better rubber mounted :D

I have a fresh Q2 rear in the garage. that will go on the bike at the end of hte month, and then I'll likely move to a DOT race tire thereafter.

(who wants to sell me a quiet-ish generator for cheap?)

PJZOCC624

(Not Dunlops, but...)

FWIW... For a season or two, I ran a Michelin Power Race (MED) front with a PP 2CT rear with zero issues on my GSXR600. The grip on the front was awesome, and the rear was predictable and stable.

rk97

^ I've heard STT coaches do the same. That's the effect I'm going for.

Not married to Dunlop either. Actually, after looking at the pricing and contingency money (i can dream, right?), I'm considering a move to Pirelli.

I don't need the absolute best tires, I just want/need a solid step-up from the Q2 if I'm going to start out-pacing their capabilities. I know I'm not there yet, but i might finally be starting to get close.

JohnS

PJZOCC624;201905 wrote: (Not Dunlops, but...)

FWIW... For a season or two, I ran a Michelin Power Race (MED) front with a PP 2CT rear with zero issues on my GSXR600. The grip on the front was awesome, and the rear was predictable and stable.
Well again not Dunlop but when DCIIIs were in, I knew a CR who ran a DCIII rear and SC2 front. He told me a few CRs were using that set up. I don't see why this would not work for Dunlops unless the profiles are totally different, If you go Pirelli maybe a Diable Rosso Corsa rear and a SC2 front?

j_fuggin_t

personally i'd never mis match tires, its $380 for grip you'll never outride and confidence that will be there, quit being a cheap ass :D

borgNSR

LOrtega;201861 wrote: You will never really slide a Q2 front to much the tire does not like to slide and when it does most of the time you will lose it ..... Ask Matt H. How his great let me go cheap and get Q2 mix and match experiment work .... Ryan do you have that video? Please post it :)
So this HAS been tried before with Dunlop Q2s. Summon the witnesses Matt H. and Ryan!

I only ask because I'm headed down this road too, pushing Q2s to the edge, to learn to detect those limits in a less capable tire, before I upgrade to race rubber, and then learn those limits. As already noted, that plan is cheap as hell (so far anyway). I'm going kinda fast already, making up most of my time on riders by having faster entry speeds, and now I'm thinking some one already knows more about this story than I do, and I don't think it turns out like I was hoping it would...