Race Bodywork

jbodtke

I'm in the market for some new race bodywork. Question is, which manufacturer do I go with? There are so many choices, Cheetah, Hotbodies, Sharkskinz, Attack, Armour, etc.

I have had a few Hotbodies kits in the past, they have worked, but fitment hasn't always impressed me. What's the better choice here?

BTW, this is going on an '04 GSX-R1000 this time around.

mike574

I had both Sharkskinz, Armour bodies. Can't go wrong with either one. Armour bodies mounted up real easy. Almost no need to test fit, You could just drill and mount it was that good in fit.

Twiztedjester55

I have E-racings on my 04 gsxr1000 and fit was real good and they crashed real well. E-racings is out of business now but i heard optimal racings are the same fairings and you can get em for like $330 shipped.

rcr14

I have hotbodies for the zx6r. looking back,got'em in'04,they crashed/repaired well,but fit&fin was s**t. I think they've gotten better. I would get sharkskins for a track bike,just so well made. But i think for a gixxer alot of companys make good stuff. nesba discounts with somebody.

rcr14

come to think now I have cheetah,bought off ebay already painted. how did i forget that.

meowculpa

my say..

hopefully this response won't stir up a storm. [ i write this so that future beginners like myself getting to the sport would also benefit]
disclaimer - i'm a newbie so i can always pretend ignorance!

i do believe that, of late, most of the body work fit, the bikes they are designed for, splendidly. if and when they do differ, it's in the composition/ weight/ flexibility and "crash worthiness" [mild lowsides]. these qualities, even collectively, do not merit a person shelling twice to thrice the amount required for a decent set [the shipping costs 40-60 $ extra, mind you !]. and then comes the issue of paint..oh! in the case of an R6 they might need after market exhausts as well [not applicable in your case] suddenly the costs acquire an astronomical feel. .:eek: [and you haven't crashed ..yet!]

Barring a slow speed lowside [in which the higher end body work fare better], all brands are essentially trashed necessitating further monetary investment.

it's worthwhile going for sharkskinz/ armor bodies/ attack/ hotbodies only when it's a used set [therefore cheap] with no accidents [ yes! you can still find them] and is also painted !! all other cases - go with optimal [

vanbreezy

I have cheetah on the same bike that you have. Mounts up very well and is very flexible. I have crash tested them a couple of times as well and they have held up. All i have to do is slight repairs to the mounting points after my last crash and back on the bike they go. And yes Nesba does have a great deal on armour bodies but the don't have a deal for this bike. :argh:

Twiztedjester55

I had a set of cheap Pit-Eck Ebay fairings early last year, had a mild lowside at Summit Main T5 and there was not one piece of the fairings that was salvagable everything pretty much disinegrated also original fitting and sanding to make it fit was awful.
Replaced with E-racings (which i think are now Optimal Racing branded) and had a pretty violent lowside at Jennings last month where the bike flipped and tumbled, this time though i only had a cracked upper fairing which i was able to temp. repair trackside to be able to get back on the track. Just finished fiberglassing the crack and they feel good as new.

D-Swens

meowculpa;35701 wrote: hopefully this response won't stir up a storm. [ i write this so that future beginners like myself getting to the sport would also benefit]
disclaimer - i'm a newbie so i can always pretend ignorance!

i do believe that, of late, most of the body work fit, the bikes they are designed for, splendidly. if and when they do differ, it's in the composition/ weight/ flexibility and "crash worthiness" [mild lowsides]. these qualities, even collectively, do not merit a person shelling twice to thrice the amount required for a decent set [the shipping costs 40-60 $ extra, mind you !]. and then comes the issue of paint..oh! in the case of an R6 they might need after market exhausts as well [not applicable in your case] suddenly the costs acquire an astronomical feel. .:eek: [and you haven't crashed ..yet!]

Barring a slow speed lowside [in which the higher end body work fare better], all brands are essentially trashed necessitating further monetary investment.

it's worthwhile going for sharkskinz/ armor bodies/ attack/ hotbodies only when it's a used set [therefore cheap] with no accidents [ yes! you can still find them] and is also painted !! all other cases - go with optimal [, but the cheapos don't seem to be in the neighborhood of fitting on the newwer gsxr's and r6's. If you don't mind spending an entire weekend cutting and drilling and stretching, bending, and cracking, only to end up with a sub-par fit that is a huge pain in the ass to take on and off everytime you change oil, or work on electronics (dozens and dozens of times per season) then by all means the cheap bodywork is worth the savings.

If your bike does a dozen cartwheels at 80+ mph then yes, all brands of bodywork, and probably even your forks and fame will be destroyed. However, as all of us know, lowsides and even moderate highsides happen all the time. Sharkskinz is very survivable in a lot of semi-serious crashes. I can often times repair sharksinz that has been down going pretty fast for about $100 - $150 including fixxing the paint, and then you just bolt it back up with the rest of your good stuff.
More importantly than that though, if you've already spent $1000+ to drive to Barber or VIR for a full weekend of trackdays and you crash early-on, its makes all the difference in the world if your bodywork is still good enough to ride out the rest of the weekend so you don't lose your whole weekend. Imagine lowsiding in the morning of your first day. Sharkskinz would probably have a little rash and maybe a small crack, which you could throw a piece of duct tape on and go full throttle for the rest of the weekend. If you saved $200 - $300 on the cheap bodywork which would've shattered like an eggshell, and then you miss the whole day and the day after watching your friends ride, and basically wasted a whole weekend, trackday fees, and all the money to drive down there, hotel, ect. Still think the cheapo bodywork was worth it?:notsure: And that is just an example of one weekend.

Its not just crashing that wears the stuff out as well. Right now I've got a couple hotbodies tail sections back from one of my AMA clients. The Superbike tails never crashed or down at all, but just the constant pressure/stress from ridding it all season has all the bolt holes completely ripped out and cracked up, and there are cracks all over the bodywork. I see bolt holes tripple in size, windscreen ears crack up, and most commonly the holes were the uppers and lowers meet wear through and drop the lowers off on the cheap stuff all the time on bikes that never crashed. That doesn't happen on Sharkskinz, Attack, Armour Bodies ect.

D-Swens

That being said, I understand how expensive this sport is and everyone has their own budget, and in the end you have to get what you can afford that will just get you out there on the track having fun:D

I just wanted to make it very clear that you do get what you pay for. If you can find a way to go for the higher-end brands such as Sharkskinz, Attack, and Armour Bodies, they give you a much better product what will pay you back in the long run. If lower-end bodywork is all that is in your budget and it gets you out on the track, then go for it and just make it work, I get passed by guys with cheaper bodywork on a regular basis:doh:

D-Swens

Pit-Eck is the worst crap ever:mad::mad::mad:

Hotbodies is the most overated bodywork in the history of motorcycle parts. It is super brittle, cracks soo easily, has tons of pinholes, and fit-ment is very sub-par for a major brand. I hate to say that because I think they have cool people that work for them, and they pay tons and tons of contingency in all club-racing and really really support the sport. On a good note, most of their street products I've painted/installed have been much, much higher quality.

E-racing seemed fair for the money, same with Optimal...I don't think its quite as good as some people would have you think, but in my opinion I think it is a fair product for the money they charge and definitely works, just doesn't look super pretty without a lot of primer/filler. It is very heavy and thick, imagine bedsheets soaked in resin, but fitment is decent, they mostly use molds from sharkskinz so I like most of their shapes.

Armour Bodies is what the company says it is. Good product, fits well, pretty good finish and takes paint pretty well, seems to crash well.
Attack Performance is very similar to Armour Bodies. I think the finish is a little better, but I think the overall quality of is very similar to Armour Bodies, both are geat products.

Sharkskinz is the best of the best in all categories, the ferrari of bodywork. If you can swing it there is nothing that really fits, finishes, and survives crashes/stress like this stuff. You can mount it up on your bike just like putting your stock stuff on, but less pieces. Look at what most of the top AMA teams were running...

Burnall4

Wow Drew thats the most I think I have every seen you say/type....you doing ok?!? So when is your first track day?:popcorn:

meowculpa

d-swens has the floor now!

"wow" is right!
there is something to be said for first hand experience and racers' insight.
mine certainly doesn't match Andrew's.. :adore:
thank you for a really informative thread.

S
B #47 [mid atlantic]
06 R6 [track]

D-Swens

Burnall4;36064 wrote: Wow Drew thats the most I think I have every seen you say/type....you doing ok?!? So when is your first track day?:popcorn:
haha...sorry guess the first track vacation can't come soon enough:dunno:

hopefully the SED day at VIR:D

D-Swens

meowculpa;36071 wrote: "wow" is right!
there is something to be said for first hand experience and racers' insight.
mine certainly doesn't match Andrew's.. :adore:
thank you for a really informative thread.

S
B #47 [mid atlantic]
06 R6 [track]
Sorry to rant man...

I really was just trying to help. There really isn't tons of information on bodywork for riders new to the sport, and the only way to learn the good and bad is to spend the time at the track and get burned by bad bodywork or know somebody who has...

I really hate to see people get screwed or throw their money away on stuff that doesn't work, esp when the track budget is so limited. This time of year I get several phone calls a week from people who are pretty upset with the bodywork they bought (from ebay or other places) without realizing what they were actually going to get, and most wish they could go back and upgrade, but its too late.

It is also frustrating when the "new" cheapo bodywork arrives at my shop for paint and it can't even handle being sanded or cleaned without cracking (that is my current frustration). The last new set of Hotbodies I painted for an '08 R6 took 12 hours of bodywork and repair before it was ready to paint. I actually documented the whole process and meant to start a buyer beware thread, but I do respect Hotbodies as a company for how well they support racing so I don't want to go out of my way to bash them too bad...

Everything is all good, I didn't mean those replies to sound as heavy as they did, just trying to put some helpful info out there:D:D:D

DB_ZX10r

D-Swens;36078 wrote: haha...sorry guess the first track vacation can't come soon enough:dunno:

Time Out Drew!!!! No trackdays for you until I get my bodywork back from you :D Then you can go and enjoy a nice trackday :D

Burnall4

D-Swens;36078 wrote: haha...sorry guess the first track vacation can't come soon enough:dunno:

You should come ride with us before hand, we are going in april I forgot where, but you should come with!