Race Bodywork

Mounting your bodywork with zip ties dramatically minimizes crash damage and yes it passes WERA's "workman like manner" tech requirements. The zip ties break during a crash and allow the bodywork to move instead of shreading the mounting points.

I know it doesn't look as cool as shiny shit but it can make a huge difference in the amount of damage. An added bonus is how quikly you can take your plastics off and on. Snip, snip, snip---done.

mugenej8power

How many of you guys run Optimal race fairings? They fit my budget pretty well $500 and I'm not really looking to paint them.... atleast nicely paint them. hahaha

BigKid

There are two suppliers out there that you should consider. Sharkskinz if you can afford it and you want a show quality bike. Armor bodies if you want the strongest, best fit (next to sharkskinz), easiest paint ability, easiest to fix after a crash, hold up the best from day to day wear and tear (next to shark skinz). Anything eale out there is a waste of money. I have experience with all makers of body work and will only recommend armourbodies for a great track body and sharkskinz if you are looking for a show quality track bike. Do Not consider anything else. Not worth the time or trouble. If Armour Bodies does not get 09r1 bodywork made soon my new bike will have sharkskinz which will make 5 bikes in a row with sharkskinz. Matter of fact my paint guy charges me so much more prep when I bring him cheap body work that it is always cheaper to buy the best.

zangman

+1 for Rockwall Stealth series bodywork also. Got some for my 675 and it crashed well, as my buddy decided to show me at Roebling Road.

ronhix

Not only do they make a great product at a really good price point, Billy Solmes (the owner) is top quality people and really strives to continually bring an ever improving product to market while keeping costs down for all of us.

They are also distributed by Woodcraft. Eric Wood and the folks over there have absolutely awesome customer service. Anytime I need anything, they absolutely take care of me.

Armour Bodies also cares enough to sponsor a track day organization you may have heard of - NESBA!!!!!

In addition, they also support some of the NESBA Control Riders who go racing to continually hone their craft so they can be better instructors for you - that would be ME and others like me.

Sure, Sharkskins makes a nice product. It is true that cheap bodywork is a complete "pig in a poke" and you never know what you are gonna get.

But I suggest we think about the bigger picture and if possible, support companies like Armour Bodies. They make a very good product, but they also invest in and support you and me. :)

gkotlin

Wow! I've crashed Pit-eck. They were cheap and crashed like it. Higher end body work as stated holds up much better. Think of cheap stuff as potato chips, when they break, they kind of shatter. Instead of fixing an hole thats ground through, your laying layers of fabric and resin to get it to hold it's shape again. It's very hard to get a good bond to an original section when your laying layers on top of something that was made as one piece. So the next time you crash, your layer separates and you have new damage. Instead of fixing a spot for the new crash, you fix the new spot, the old spot, and everything in between. With good bodywork like Armour Bodies, your repairs are typically located at the area of impact or abrasion.

As for fit. The better bodywork is always much better. Many of the cheap sets are sold cheap becuase they cut corners and costs. Things like curing time, weather, humidity, resin mix and a million other factors all affect how the body work comes out of the mold. Cheaper brands don't spend the time and research to ensure their resins are working optimally. Lower end bodywork is typically made from copying better bodywork. Instead of making their own molds, they take bodywork and build their molds from that set. Now..... Knowing that. Have you ever played the game telephone? You tell someone, they tell someone, who tells someone else, etc. The message you get from the 6th person is never the same as what was told to person 1. Imagine how that method works in manufacturing now. The mounting tabs are close. Some times, not even close.

Then you can get into finish quality and resin release, mold prep etc. I agree. You get what you pay for. Armour Bodies FTW!