Rain Policy

kris223

Sure I felt safe its my pace, and I'm all for running if they are ... but I'll tell ya if it came down to it I would take an exit ramp off the freeway at a higher clip than Summit Main in the rain and feel safer. As soon as I exited some turns and was ready to get on the gas there was a stream and ya don't usually get that joy on the streets. The straights were fun! Thats the problem with the word insurance. Its subjective. Can we run at race pace ... wet race pace? I have no idea what that is cuz I'm a green NUB, but I'd take the streets over Summit Main as far as road conditions go. Did I have fun? Hell ya! But insurance is insurance. So you have a twisted frame on that car? ... can you get to the store for beer? Hell ya! ... no need to pay that claim. Beer pace has been achieved screw the paint we can get some Old Milwaukee in the can :) Its a push and a pull. I did have fun that day.

sternsi

Control Rider
ummmm, it takes a ton of rain for us to cancel beaver. it has some of the BEST wet traction out there. it has never been canceled due to a slight mist. It may have been a mist, but there was prob lightning associated wirth it, and that we wont run in.

for all the people that dont ride in the rain, how do you feel about riding in 90+ degree days? I think it is more dangerous, since most people dont stay hydrated and make lots of errors on those kinds of days. Maybe we will start to cancel those days to since they may be to hot for some folks to ride.:banghead:

sternsi;61007 wrote: ummmm, it takes a ton of rain for us to cancel beaver. it has some of the BEST wet traction out there. it has never been canceled due to a slight mist. It may have been a mist, but there was prob lightning associated wirth it, and that we wont run in.

for all the people that dont ride in the rain, how do you feel about riding in 90+ degree days? I think it is more dangerous, since most people dont stay hydrated and make lots of errors on those kinds of days. Maybe we will start to cancel those days to since they may be to hot for some folks to ride.:banghead:
Exactly why I felt safer in the rain! More riders out there just happened to be paying extra close attention to more detail and it made for a comfortable day.

The following two days were filled with a lot of riders hitting other riders both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday my race got red flagged twice, the following race was also red flagged.

Practices and races where red flagged all day and I knew about 5-6 riders that crashed and or got hit that weekend. THE WEATHER WAS PERFECT Saturday and Sunday!

BigKid

Far more crashes on 95+ degree days. Personally, I have never seen a helicopter transport on a rain day, plenty on nice hot days.

kris223

But ... Nesba doesn't offer 95+ degree insurance .... just playing devils advocate here :) If they did maybe there would be a point here, but there isn't :) The only thing I wonder is what is race pace in the rain? Thats how ya get your $$ worth isnt it?

BigKid

WOW, I will go back to my mid-central region. Sorry for you east coast guys. We have not had a single weekend without rain this year and none of us bitch like our old ladies on the rag. I digress, it is about safety, lightning, a flood across the path, deep standing water, tar snake patches that act like ice when water is applied. Apparently some of you need to find a better hobby like indoor soccer, indoor basketball, PLEASE STAY AWAY from any indoor sport that involves a beer like bowling, pool, etc. I would hate to have to see your newly instituted government ban some of my favorite off season sports. I have done the math, if everyone is willing to spend $10,000.00 per person, per weekend, I can have a plane on the tarmac ready to fly to the track of our meteorological choice. BTW, did anyone watch the Indy MotoGP last year. I was there and I was pissed off that Nicky Hadden was not a big enough pussy to raise his hand at the half way point while leading, 75 mile per hour gusts, 3000Lb tents ripped from their anchors, rules say, reach half way, if you feel conditions are dangerous, raise your hand, race gets called, race is over in that finish order. Nicky tried to stick it out, Rossi passes him then they call the race. Props to Nicky for trying to stick it out during hurricane conditions.

xr1owner

BigKid;61019 wrote: WOW, I will go back to my mid-central region. Sorry for you east coast guys. We have not had a single weekend without rain this year and none of us bitch like our old ladies on the rag. I digress, it is about safety, lightning, a flood across the path, deep standing water, tar snake patches that act like ice when water is applied. Apparently some of you need to find a better hobby like indoor soccer, indoor basketball, PLEASE STAY AWAY from any indoor sport that involves a beer like bowling, pool, etc. I would hate to have to see your newly instituted government ban some of my favorite off season sports. I have done the math, if everyone is willing to spend $10,000.00 per person, per weekend, I can have a plane on the tarmac ready to fly to the track of our meteorological choice. BTW, did anyone watch the Indy MotoGP last year. I was there and I was pissed off that Nicky Hadden was not a big enough pussy to raise his hand at the half way point while leading, 75 mile per hour gusts, 3000Lb tents ripped from their anchors, rules say, reach half way, if you feel conditions are dangerous, raise your hand, race gets called, race is over in that finish order. Nicky tried to stick it out, Rossi passes him then they call the race. Props to Nicky for trying to stick it out during hurricane conditions.

you need a cig.. hehe

kris223

In the end I have an attitude of just showing up and taking whatever track time I can get. I still got a great camping trip out of it, I got track time, and the I got to bullshit with people that share the same interest. When I pay my money for a ticket I don't expect a dime back. If I can't afford to loose 175 clams over some rain, I shouldn't be in this sport. Then everyone started talking about insurance ... the concept seems to be subjective and misleading. I'm really happy that I got 50% credit, but I sure didn't expect it and wouldn't of thought less of the club if I didn't get it. Now talking about Summit Main's rain conditions is fun because the run off is really funny. Standing water and streams HA HA. It looks like VDOT should of fired that engineer. It is a great track, but its pretty funny in the rain I think. But what do I know because I'm just a beginner. I had fun and I would of done it all over again.

JGardy_781

BigKid;61019 wrote: Sorry for you east coast guys. We have not had a single weekend without rain this year and none of us bitch like our old ladies on the rag.
BigKid;61019 wrote:
Apparently some of you need to find a better hobby like indoor soccer, indoor basketball...

:congrats:

Joe Vital

Just to be sure, WERA cancelled because of lightening not rain last August.

Summit in the rain is not for me, a wet Beaver however is a whole lot of fun.

NESBA's rain insurance is not the reason I ride with this club. The other members are. And I agree, the club has changed over the last few years-some for the good and some not so good. Overall a day like this past Friday was a great time at the track for me, even though I chose not to ride. I was still at the track with my best buddies telling lies and drinking/stealing beers.
Try that with indoor soccer...

Nesba

The Rain Policy currently reads(As Geoff stated):
" Rain Policy
If we do not roll a wheel on the track and the event is canceled due
to rain, you will receive a 100% credit to be used at another NESBA
event. Rain credit is only good for one calendar year from the time
of the cancellation. Credits can be used via your online profile.
If we get rained out after an event has started, there will be NO
credits or refunds issued. If you choose not to show up and we ride,
you will not receive any credit. If you choose not to show up and we
cancel the event, you will receive a 100% credit for another NESBA
event, to be used within one calendar year. Credits will be applied to
your account within two weeks of the event.
NESBA will ride on a wet track. However, there may be circumstances
when we feel it is not safe enough to ride and cancel the event. This
will be determined only on the day of the event.
NESBA reserves the right to adjust this policy at anytime without
notice."

The new Rain Policy is this:

If we do not roll a wheel on the track and the event is canceled due
to rain, you will receive a 100% credit to be used at another NESBA
event. Rain credit is only good for one calendar year from the time
of the cancellation. Credits can be used via your online profile.
If we get rained out after an event has started, there will be NO
credits or refunds issued. If you choose not to show up and we ride,
you will not receive any credit. If you choose not to show up and we
cancel the event, you will receive a 100% credit for another NESBA
event, to be used within one calendar year. Credits will be applied to
your account within two weeks of the event. NESBA will ride in the rain and all wet conditions. NESBA reserves the right to adjust this policy at anytime without notice.

So be forward, come prepared to ride in the rain.

Joe Vital;61060 wrote: Just to be sure, WERA cancelled because of lightening not rain last August.

Summit in the rain is not for me, a wet Beaver however is a whole lot of fun.

NESBA's rain insurance is not the reason I ride with this club. The other members are. And I agree, the club has changed over the last few years-some for the good and some not so good. Overall a day like this past Friday was a great time at the track for me, even though I chose not to ride. I was still at the track with my best buddies telling lies and drinking/stealing beers.
Try that with indoor soccer...
Well said Joe!
I had a lot of fun and didn't even know NESBA had rain insurance! I just joined to RIDE... crazy eh?!?!

I had a good time as well and as said before it is the attitude you bring. I was a bit grumpy in the morning because I woke up a little wet in the tent. Then i had to replace both my levers or I would not ride so i got more grumpy. I got a nice donation from Russell for a clutch and bought a brake lever from Moon and started to get excited about riding instead of moping around. I was laughing under my helmet as the bike was sliding all over the place. I wish I had enough money to put my rain tires on but the levers changed that budget. There was plenty of grip and I felt comfortable riding around, but like I said, I'm just a NEWB!

ridelater

sternsi;61007 wrote: ummmm, it takes a ton of rain for us to cancel beaver. it has some of the BEST wet traction out there. it has never been canceled due to a slight mist. It may have been a mist, but there was prob lightning associated wirth it, and that we wont run in.

this could be the day when dirt(they say its like a slit) got washed over t9(final turn) and dutch deemed it to danger and called the day at about 3. it was either 2 or 3 yrs ago

rk97

Joe Vital;60916 wrote: why would you have someone else decide what is safe? In other words, let's say NESBA decides the conditions do not warrant a cancellation. Would you then ride based only their decision deeming the riding to take place under to be 'safe' conditions?
right on, Joe.

I ask myself 3 questions before I turn a wheel:

1) are the conditions safe? (if yes, am I willing/able to ride in a manner where the answer stays "yes.")

2) am I going to have fun?

3) how much is this going to cost me?

i get hung up on number 2 and 3 a LOT more often than 1.

when it was 40 degrees and rainy at NJMP, i could have ridden - but i would have been cold and wet. My leathers would have been miserable to wear the next day. not fun.

if that weren't enough, it was my first event of the season, and I asked myself "do i really want to start the year off with a crash? How much is that crash going to cost?" crashing once in the rain is almost ALWAYS more expensive than eating the fees for the day.

of course it sucks, but you decide what risks you take. NESBA just decides whether or not you have the OPTION to ride.

crewnutz

RollieManollie;60988 wrote: It's very confusing if you've been around nesba for the past 5 years watching them call events due to a slight mist at beaver and not with a down pour at Summit Main?

Seems pretty simple to me when comparing the two.....

And for what's it's worth, wera didn't run main last August when it rained during their national. Maybe the track's grip has changed since that, i don't know.
WERA didnt run due to lightning in the area

Dutch

Safety is subjective and completely dependent on the conditions AT THE TRACK on the day in question. There is no set forumla as it is rarely ever as black and white as we all would like it to be. Yes, there are some tracks we will definitely not run in the rain because of established, well know situations that ensue when the track gets wet. I cancelled Beaver a few years ago prior to the grass coming in due to rivers of mud running accross the track after a down pour and not enough time in the day to get it cleaned up. For the first year at Beaver that was the norm, until the grass came in. Now that is not an issue and unless there are other mitigating factors Beaver is no problem in the wet. Like Joe said, everyone needs to determine their own thresh hold for risk and stick to it regardless of what NESBA decides is safe. If you as a rider feel that the conditions are not safe enough to ride then I would highly suggest you NOT put a leg over the bike and go out. Riding scared is a sure way to f up a perfectly good day. NESBA still has the absolute best rain policy out there. Tell me of anyone else in this business who would give you a 50% credit for Friday without you having to pay an extra fee?

riddler

deanbosch11@mac.com;61069 wrote: Well said Joe!
I had a lot of fun and didn't even know NESBA had rain insurance! I just joined to RIDE... crazy eh?!?!

I had a good time as well and as said before it is the attitude you bring. I was a bit grumpy in the morning because I woke up a little wet in the tent. Then i had to replace both my levers or I would not ride so i got more grumpy. I got a nice donation from Russell for a clutch and bought a brake lever from Moon and started to get excited about riding instead of moping around. I was laughing under my helmet as the bike was sliding all over the place. I wish I had enough money to put my rain tires on but the levers changed that budget. There was plenty of grip and I felt comfortable riding around, but like I said, I'm just a NEWB!
Can I thread jack for a minute? I don't think anyone will mind...
What was the issue with your levers?
Cause I know this guy :rolleyes: that is scheduled for a track day this weekend... and he had an off last year. The levers work fine, but one is a twinge out of place...

bigkaley

Control Rider
Twiztedjester55;61178 wrote: He didn't have the ball on the end of his levers, per the manual you must have a ball on the end of levers.
Yup, make sure when you show up at the track that both your balls are intact!! :eek: