Sick of watching riders get hurt due to unsafe race tracks

lplonske

Germany;212148 wrote: this:

but in all honesty, if you don't think it's safe - don't do it.
I never saw anyone with a gun or anything else on the track making you DO something...
maybe if someone where chasing me with a gun i could lower my lap times??
OK, that was stupid. how would they steer?
and, back to the safety thing...

Hitman954

I've seen some nasty crashes at Jennings. You ever been there? The run off is fricken huge. You could go a country mile before you hit anything. Yet I've watched people get bussed and birded outta there too. You wanna make things safe where noone gets hurt? Try golfing, but be careful you might pull a hammy. Your fricken nuts, and not in a good way. You can't stop a crash or fully predict how a crash will happen. Take the what ifs, what if a throttle locks, what if a guy dumps oil out on the track, what if a bird shits, hits your visor, and blocks your view, what if a fricken frog hits your wind screen and you target fixate on it? Want me to keep goin? The variables are extreme, huh guess thats why they call it an extreme sport. You might want to even look into fishing, but careful those hooks are sharp. Bottom line if it has wheels and a motor, hell some of us don't even need that, your gonna get hurt. To what extent is up to how hard you want to push.
I really hate these conversations. The folks at Blackhawk are awesome!! They work really really hard, and for what, someone to say they ain't doin it right. Get a clue, some really fast guys have already stated thier opinions, and they don't coincide with yours, not that your opinion doesn't count, but it's wrong.
Thank you Tom & your crew, I love what you do for us and really appreciate ya'll!!

I was mowing a golf course on a summer job and my lawn mower got hit by a golf ball. Poor lawn mower. Could have been me. Of couse you can hurt yourself walking across the street going to the bank. I read most of the posts and many made me laugh.

And about that T10 at Putnam, did you know if you run off before T10 there is a grassy knoll you can jump off. And who in the F*ck moved that wall back only that far? They should have moved it back 3x further.

In all fairness its true. Don't ride there if you don't like it. Blackhawk was built in the 60's and it's not going to change much more over the next 10 years. I for one will look to race WERA next year to avoid two things. Doing the same track each race weekend.... and BHF.

Every time I crash the BHF crew was right there telling me what to do. Hats off the the crew. God Save you if you crash in T2 - You need wings if you crash in T4... to fly over the tires - you need a come-a-long ratchet hoist to get your ass out of T5 tires .....

ronhix

TRUE STORY:

Miguel Duhammel's Mom was dead set that she would not let him go racing. It was too dangerous.

That winter, little Miguel walked out the front door of their home and a huge amount of snow fell off the roof top onto him. He came very close to dying before they could dig him out.

His Mom let him go racing after that, understanding that she could not keep him safe from every possible danger.

One of my favorite sayings, "ALL DIE, NOT ALL LIVE".

Of course we try to do the best we can to avoid risks and unnecessary dangers, but at the same time ... "When it is your time to go, it is your time."

We have to keep a logical perspective on these things guys. We can't go too far with either extreme.

fitz

ronhix;212400 wrote: "When it is your time to go, it is your time."

We have to keep a logical perspective on these things guys.
I have to disagree, there is nothing "logical" about that perspective, fate is a belief, nothing more. It is often used as a justification to do something dangerous.

fitz

rk97

faith is a belief, but chance is still chance, and odds are still odds.

riding fast increases the odds of crashing. Crashing increases the odds of injury or death.

Showering more often, or for longer stints would increase your chances of slipping and falling in the tub too...

In my mind, the air-fence is like using a bath-mat. It's a no brainer.

Being aware of the risks we take while riding is important. Dwelling on them will just drive you crazy though.

ronhix

fitz;212407 wrote: I have to disagree, there is nothing "logical" about that perspective, fate is a belief, nothing more. It is often used as a justification to do something dangerous.

fitz
Perhaps, you should read what I said again. I said exactly what I meant and I don't feel the need to justify or explain it further.

And since I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, I am gonna choose to not make remarks like "you choosing to NOT believe in fate or God or evolution or whatever, takes just as much faith as me choosing to believe in God."

So, let's keep the topic on point shall we? :)

ronhix

You guys and your bath mats. If your fate is to fall in the tub, you have no hope. Stop fighting it! LOL. :D

Derick

ronhix;212439 wrote: You guys and your bath mats. If your fate is to fall in the tub, you have no hope. Stop fighting it! LOL. :D
my bathtub has that rough stuff on the bottom, i feel it would be pointless to use a mat also

fitz

ronhix;212415 wrote: So, let's keep the topic on point shall we? :)
First, the topic is about walls at tracks not about your belief in fate which you brought up.

Second I'm also gonna choose not to make remarks...BUT not go ahead and say it anyway. :)

fitz

rk97

ronhix;212439 wrote: You guys and your bath mats. If your fate is to fall in the tub, you have no hope. Stop fighting it! LOL. :D
Put your money where your mouth is Ron - let's see some hot laps without leathers or a helmet!

On second thought, DON'T. We've only met a couple times, but you're clearly a nice enough guy that I don't want to find out what happens if you're wrong.

cooker1

LIFE nobody gets out of it alive ! I myself am gonna have as much fun as I can while Im here and the funnest thing I have found is wringing the shit out of my SV on every track I can get on ! I dont think about the consequences of what might happen to me when I am on the track ( unnecesary distraction ) I just do what I've been taught by the greatest CRs in the world :adore: If I happen to die more than likely I'll never know it anyway but I do know that I went with a smile on my face !

Dead

So we have faith that we won't get hurt. So when 2 guys crash in front of you and you have to brake and stand your bike up so you don't run them over, which ends up making you run off the track and get hurt from having to lay your bike down before you plow into a wall. If the wall wasn't there you still would have gotten hurt?

iamnotgreg

Ron I think you make some incredible points and I don't want to step into the religious debate either. That said something you said reminded me of a good quote by a brilliant man that I think is very appropriate in this discussion.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
— Stephen Hawking

Hitman954

Dead;212456 wrote: So we have faith that we won't get hurt. So when 2 guys crash in front of you and you have to brake and stand your bike up so you don't run them over, which ends up making you run off the track and get hurt from having to lay your bike down before you plow into a wall. If the wall wasn't there you still would have gotten hurt?
That's not a faith issue, you stated a what if. You have faith that things will work out for the better when presented with a what if.

iamnotgreg

rk97;212444 wrote: Put your money where your mouth is Ron - let's see some hot laps without leathers or a helmet!

On second thought, DON'T. We've only met a couple times, but you're clearly a nice enough guy that I don't want to find out what happens if you're wrong.
I agree - Ron is a nice guy. I can also speak for most when I saw I do not want to see him do blazing naked laps. I am sure we have some NESBIAN's that wouldn't mind (we have a very varied group here) but I'd just like to check off my vote as a "Nay" on the Hot Blazing Naked Hix Lap..

Unless of course it's for a good cause or something then - have at it brother! :D