Sick of watching riders get hurt due to unsafe race tracks

beac83

ronhix;212466 wrote: I think some of you guys may be getting a little confused here, let's summarize where we are at in the discussion:

1. Blackhawk is an older track and is making improvements slowly over time as it is economically viable. We all very much appreciate those efforts and the ongoing work done to keep us safe.

2. No track is ever going to be 100% safe, to expect this is unreasonable.

3. Road racing motorcycles is inherently dangerous, we know the risks and still choose to participate.

4. We should do everything "reasonable" to reduce the risks, but still enjoy life.

5. Some believe in fate and some don't.

6. Bath mats are a good idea.

7. Most do not want to see me do a hot lap at Blackhawk while naked.

Did I miss anything?
Yea, you forgot that this life is guaranteed 100% fatal.

But there's no need to rush it.

To Fred's point:

Does anyone have a scale drawing of the track with all the walls marked on it? It would help if we have a common point to begin any discussion of specific changes.

Germany

noobinacan;212565 wrote: sorry, I edited my initial post..ya'll too fast.
but, if the air fence is already there..what's the problem then ?

good luck getting a track to move the walls...
unless you're got a direct line to the owners and they're willing to do it. and the massive cost of getting a surveillance crew and contracts. and cost of metrials. Going to be a steep hill to climb...

sorry never been to blackhawk. But I'd still contribute...cause one day I may visit.
some of the midwest guys are fast dudes.... ;)

I think the owner of the track would be all for it, but the cost are probably more than he will be able to come up with, we are talking about more money than he spend to buy the track and he already put a lot back in it.
I could bet if the track would be deemed unsafe for motorcycles by whomever, it would be the end of motorcycles at blackhawk.

The air fence is there, but with everything in safety, the fence helps, but does not totally take the risk out of it. I have seen people hit that fence with 100+ mph, and the fence will reduce the impact, but not make it as if nothing ever happened...

sorry for the uhm.... I did't look at your location until after I posted...

j_fuggin_t

jigs;212557 wrote: .the good news is turns one and seven are slated to get re-paved Nov. 1st so they'll cure nicley for next year....by the way I am not with management,or am employed nor do i reresent or speak for BHF...just a rider that loves our little track...:adore: this makes me very happy

racer23;212566 wrote:
It is called the "Nesba Blackhawk Farms Chili Cook-Off", every penny of which goes to Blackhawk Farms Airfence.
We, as a group, specify that it is to be used by ANY and ALL organizations that ride motorcycles at BFR. Prior to this year we had collected over $25,000.00 of which EVERY PENNY has gone toward Airfence for BFR. This year we set a new record and collected a bunch more. Details when the final check rolls in.

There are 7 sections due to be delivered this week from last years CCO, and a sizeable check will find it's way there later this week for more.

Nesbians ROCK!:adore:
don't forget to add that little bit that you did sunday about tracks refusing our money because they don't want to maintain it

JBZX6R

beac83;212569 wrote: Yea, you forgot that this life is guaranteed 100% fatal.

To Fred's point:

Does anyone have a scale drawing of the track with all the walls marked on it? It would help if we have a common point to begin any discussion of specific changes.
It's not a scale drawing but you'll get the picture.
Search for Rockton Bog Nature Preserve,
http://www.satelliteviews.net/cgi-bin/g.cgi?fid=2054041&state=IL&ftype=park

switch to maps and you see where that preserve boundary lines are, it will also show you the walls when you zoom in on satellite view.

I have a pdf i can upload ... I'm at the Rockford Memorial Hospital and just learned there were two air lifts that weekend. With that money the track could bribe the water table authorities.

eE jeremy

design-engine;212640 wrote: I have a pdf i can upload ... Im at the rocford memorial hospital and just learned there were two air lifts that weekend. Withe that money the track could bribe the water table outhorities.
Not sure about the second airlift cause I wasn't there but the first one happened on the front straight with no barriers at all.

Who is the contact person at the Army Corps of Engineers? He needs a letter or a bribe or both. I would donate a thousand dollars. Where do I send the check? Fred?

Meat

iamnotgreg;212461 wrote:

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
— Stephen Hawking
Excellent quote that I don't remember hearing before. Thanks.

gkotlin

Motorcyclists are just part of the tracks revenue. Just because we are vocal and willing to help, doesn't mean we'll be heard. Cars would rather have the inside guard rails in some areas. They spin out in a corner and can go inwards towards guard rails. How often does a car crash in turn 4? I don't know.

Cars also dislike gravel traps. Cars dig into the grave and then roll. So I don't know that the car patrons want gravel in all the corner exits.

Just some other things to think about.

I appreciate the discussion. But you all have to realize, this is not new news. The track has to balance where their time and money is spent. By no means should anyone think that the owner of the track is not aware of these issues and does not care. From what I hear second hand, he has been VERY receptive to the needs of motorcyclists at the facility since taking over ownership. He is a car racer and has been coming to to the track for a long time, so he is aware of our cause.

As with most things in life, we'll have a better chance of getting support and making changes if we present a solution, not just reiterate the problem. That doesn't mean say "move the wall back." But laying out a plan, taking time to research the issues and quoting a cost for the work. A LOT more time and money then I'm sure any one person wants to donate. We've come a long way. There didn't used to be a bus stop! SCARY. The track has done a great amount to make the track better and safer. Please remember that before you take your stance. We need to work with them to develop a long term plan. It would be terrible if they just closed the doors to motorcycles.

I'm glad to see this discussion. Let's keep in on track and focused and perhaps future fund raisers will be for improvements and not air fence. We've put the band aids on, now maybe we need to really work hard to keep from getting the cuts in the first place. (Figuratively of course)

Cyclepath

racer23;212566 wrote: There are 7 sections due to be delivered this week from last years CCO, and a sizeable check will find it's way there later this week for more.

Fred, Does it really take a year to get airfence delivered?

racer23

No, I just didn't word my letter correctly and that caused some confusion. Basically our donations went into the general fund until I corrected myself.

Thinkmoto

As a Trackday noob this year, I have never once felt in danger at BHF. I think the track is safe and greatly appreciate Nesba's efforts with the airfencing. In all honesty if someone feels its not safe, go home and don't ride there. Compared to some of the MX tracks around WI/IL its far safer at BHF.

Dead

I apologize if i offended anyone by starting this thread. I wasn't trying to talk smack. And Tom and the safety crew at Blackhawk do a great job. Were also doing an excellent job with the air fence. It greatly reduces injury. Maybe I should have worded what I was trying to say differently. I'm not a wall moving engineer, i just think it shouldn't cost that much to move a wall. They can repave an entire track for $100,000. I looked at Blackhawk via google maps and it looks like the nature preserve is on the outside of the track. The main 2 areas that concern me are Turn 2 & 5 which would require cutting down trees on the inside of the track. It just sucks that people have to get hurt because of walls. Thanks,

Kyle

JRA

Dead;213170 wrote: I apologize if i offended anyone by starting this thread. I wasn't trying to talk smack. And Tom and the safety crew at Blackhawk do a great job. Were also doing an excellent job with the air fence. It greatly reduces injury. Maybe I should have worded what I was trying to say differently. I'm not a wall moving engineer, i just think it shouldn't cost that much to move a wall. They can repave an entire track for $100,000. I looked at Blackhawk via google maps and it looks like the nature preserve is on the outside of the track. The main 2 areas that concern me are Turn 2 & 5 which would require cutting down trees on the inside of the track. It just sucks that people have to get hurt because of walls. Thanks,

Kyle
An average cost for repaving in my area with normal asphalt is about $2.50 per sq. ft. I would imagine that the special types of asphalt they use on a race track would be higher. Assuming a 35 foot wide track that's 185,000 sq. ft. per mile.

eE jeremy

Dead;213170 wrote: I apologize if i offended anyone by starting this thread. I wasn't trying to talk smack. And Tom and the safety crew at Blackhawk do a great job. Were also doing an excellent job with the air fence. It greatly reduces injury. Maybe I should have worded what I was trying to say differently. I'm not a wall moving engineer, i just think it shouldn't cost that much to move a wall. They can repave an entire track for $100,000. I looked at Blackhawk via google maps and it looks like the nature preserve is on the outside of the track. The main 2 areas that concern me are Turn 2 & 5 which would require cutting down trees on the inside of the track. It just sucks that people have to get hurt because of walls. Thanks,

Kyle
I've heard it cost around a million dollars per linear mile of 10ft wide section of racetrack.

j_fuggin_t

Kyle
if they could repave a track for a mere 100k i can tell you 100% it would be repaved every 2-3 years, unfortunately i don't know the cost & blackhawk was repaved i believe in 06, but when you do as many events and as many car events as they do the pavement will suffer (please see turn 1 & turn 7)

stkr

Wait! What the hell? There's a wall in T-2 at Blackhawk?! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk