The MotoGP Thread

Argentina was cancelled for 2024 due to economic turbulence.

Lots of tests sprinkled throughout the season and they can be seen on the full calendar on the www.motogp.com webpage.

Concessions this year for the Japanese manufacturers are a big deal.

The realignment of several riders to new teams will be interesting to watch. I'm definitely curious to see how AR42 does compared to FQ20. If AR42 has a streak of placing consistently higher than FQ20, then that'll probably be all Lin Jarvis needs to tell him "Best of luck next season with your new team." And that's the third big deal this season - Silly Season is going to explode this year with a lot of contracts expiring and seats opening up in 2025. I'm rooting for EB23 to do well and keep his factory seat over JM89 graduating from his purple PRAMAC gig to get the red factory bike.

1709090687704.jpeg

Which Aprilia? The factory livery is pretty conservative and tasteful. The Trackhouse livery is way over the top, like Evel Knievel and Brittany Spears got together in some alternate time continuum and had a love child.

In more serious news, I'm afraid the consolidation of HRC's two and four wheeled race programs has generated an organizational Mount Everest that will take longer to climb than anticipated.

The other complicating factor, IMO, is continuing to keep Alberto Puig as the Team Director. I don't perceive he's much use to either the racer or the factory engineers. His interviews during the MM93 era were all I needed to hear.

I am interested to see how LM10 does aboard MM93's old ride. I think he's going to be very helpful.

Meanwhile, Aprilia has Davide Brivio in their corner, an instant boost for sure.

In Moto2, JR16 is looking strong at the Jerez testing sessions and it’s not his best track. Qatar should be interesting given he scored the lap record there last season.

Yeah, still fresh news. I don’t think the racers are going to like it but I’m not sure we’ll be able to tell that much difference as spectators. Look at Moto3 and our own Junior Cup - those bikes are drastically slower yet loads of fans enthusiastically watch those classes. It sounds like a lot of DORNA’s motivation to do this is to set the conditions for their alternative fuel goals. If that rollout isn’t predominately successful, then I bet the new racer’s union pressures DORNA back to full liter bikes.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see the post-sale repercussions given the iron grip the Ezpeleta family exercises over the DORNA empire.

FM21 flew to Qatar. Hopefully he passes his med fitness test and is able to race. I think he still has some speed left in him despite languishing the past few seasons.

In other news, I see DORNA stripped the top speed records off the track maps. If they don’t highlight them in the broadcast (like years past) then I’m guessing they’re trying to get fans to forget in advance of the coming downsizing and downboring in 2025.

I think the rule changes won’t take effect until 2027.

Speaking of stripped features… the Roku app now has none of the previous video sections that you could search (past years etc). The only things that show up now are thumbnails for the dates that have been run in 2024 (at this point only testing). I wanted to go back and watch some moto2 from last year and it would not come up in their search. 2 steps backwards, and another 2 steps backwards.

I guess I should be glad this guarantees they don’t show the race spoiler on the front page :)

The iPad app still has all those old features. I emailed them and they told me to cast to the tv from another device or try to use the search (doesn’t work as previously mentioned), and that they are “working on it…”

Hard to understand how an org that sets the standard for video coverage can’t figure out the apps to display that coverage. Regime change might be a good thing, if it brings them into the modern world of consumer tech a bit.