Tip In

Shinobi

Greetings Everyone.......I am looking to decrease my reliance on cones for tip in. I feel my instinct for establishing my own braking markers surpasses that of my tip in points. Not that I am dismissing cones (they got me this far ; ) , but I am interested to know what you guys are using on the track for your own tip-IN markers??? Aside from marks on the surface, which in some instances can be hard to see when I'm moving a bit faster and trying to look through the corner......... I am working on it. Cant wait to read the knowledge. Thank You

Last edited:

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
That's just it. They are our tip in markers. They will be different for every rider and will be different for every speed and condition. What I can tell you is to try and find them within your consistent line of sight. You don't want to be moving your head around searching for that point. I moved mine from the outside of corners(where the cones are) to the inside making it easier to pick up the apex and exit. The cones are there just as a helpful reminder. Hope this helps.

Shinobi

That's just it. They are our tip in markers. They will be different for every rider and will be different for every speed and condition. What I can tell you is to try and find them within your consistent line of sight. You don't want to be moving your head around searching for that point. I moved mine from the outside of corners(where the cones are) to the inside making it easier to pick up the apex and exit. The cones are there just as a helpful reminder. Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve.....I like the "consistent line of sight" point that you make here. You helped me out because on a fast sweeper a cone on the outside of the turn can feel inconsistent. I am going to follow suit and move my tipIN markers to the inside of the corner while keeping those cones as a guide in my peripheral vision.

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
At YCRS, someone correct me if I'm recalling incorrectly here, but Nick teaches you that you find the entrance of the corner by finding the exit.

Essentially you logically work the corner backwards.

Find/Decide where you want to be when you're leaving the corner, look back at the corner and you'll find the apex, from the apex look back at the entrance and that will show you your ideal entrance point.

Now most tracks won't let you on the pavement to do a track walk, but you can always get a printed track map and use that to plan your strategy.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Every track has something different. TBolt I use the end of the curbing. Won't change. Some tracks I use the treeline, others a grandstand. Whatever you choose, test it especially if it's not a fixed marker cause you don't want to find out at speed that someone set your brake marker 10 yards further up. If you feel confident in identifying brake markers the concept will be basically the same.

Shinobi

Every track has something different. TBolt I use the end of the curbing. Won't change. Some tracks I use the treeline, others a grandstand. Whatever you choose, test it especially if it's not a fixed marker cause you don't want to find out at speed that someone set your brake marker 10 yards further up. If you feel confident in identifying brake markers the concept will be basically the same.
At YCRS, someone correct me if I'm recalling incorrectly here, but Nick teaches you that you find the entrance of the corner by finding the exit.

Essentially you logically work the corner backwards.

Find/Decide where you want to be when you're leaving the corner, look back at the corner and you'll find the apex, from the apex look back at the entrance and that will show you your ideal entrance point.

Now most tracks won't let you on the pavement to do a track walk, but you can always get a printed track map and use that to plan your strategy.

So Dave is there a particular place you are using the end of the curbing at tBOLT or most places?.......The track map method worked so well for me at Thompson Speedway which was new to me. It helps me make connections....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I was going to post exactly what D-ZUM did. That's what YCRS teaches. I'll add that you need to be an adjustable rider. Your entry may change if you've just passed someone; you'll be further on the inside of the track, for example. Your exit should be the same regardless of the entry. That's accomplished by trailbraking and ensuring you get your apexes.
Another thing to think about - if you have to roll off the gas on exit, you entered too low - fix it on the next lap.

I do need to find some reference points like Dave mentioned. Especially helpful for blind turns, like T7 at BeaveRun.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Luggageboy

at the YCRS day, there was also an emphasis at turn in RATE. if you begin to lean the bike slowly, the tip in point is farther back. If you initiate your turn quickly then the tip in is closer to the apex. As Judy and others have said the "tip in" point is extremely variable depending on where the corner is entered and how quickly the bike is turned in. However, the exit should be consistently the same every time and if set up properly the throttle is smoothly applied when you can see your exit. I like Nick's advice on when to brake, just brake when you get scared haha.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'm probably against the norm, and I actually don't like to use cones. Cones aren't permanent markets. Have they moved? Did they put them in the same spot as last time? I like to use fixed objects - curbing, marks/pavement transitions, etc. But at the end of the day, you are going to need some kind of reference point to start your turn in, otherwise you won't be as consistent as you can be.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
So Dave is there a particular place you are using the end of the curbing at tBOLT or most places?.......The track map method worked so well for me at Thompson Speedway which was new to me. It helps me make connections....

It doesn't matter so much what I do, as what you do and do consistently. For example, my tip in changed when I moved from a Honda 1000RR to a R6. It changed again when I moved to a SV650. In addition my line was slightly altered as well to accommodate the differences in bikes and power delivery.

Follow a CR or another rider. When doing so do not focus on doing what they do, but where they do it. Then you can see how that affects your line through a corner if it works you have a good reference. If not adjust accordingly. As your speed increases your lines and references will also need to be adjusted.

It doesn't matter so much what I do, as what you do and do consistently. For example, my tip in changed when I moved from a Honda 1000RR to a R6. It changed again when I moved to a SV650. In addition my line was slightly altered as well to accommodate the differences in bikes and power delivery.

Follow a CR or another rider. When doing so do not focus on doing what they do, but where they do it. Then you can see how that affects your line through a corner if it works you have a good reference. If not adjust accordingly. As your speed increases your lines and references will also need to be adjusted.

Dave:

You riding an SV now!? Interesting....:D

BZ

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I am. Of course, some people are not thrilled about that, i.e. liter bikes being passed by said SV. :D

I am. Of course, some people are not thrilled about that, i.e. liter bikes being passed by said SV. :D

Well maybe those liter bikes should learn about "cornerspeed" skills instead of "scream-n-park" skillz :eek:.(The emoticon is the face they make when the small bike goes by them LOL!)

Man, I wish you had that SV when I was out their! ARRGGHHH!

Is it stock or do you have it tricked out (motor I mean).

BZ

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Don't tell Sanders, but we disconnected a spark plug, so he's only running on one Cylinder, Dan. ;)

When you coming back????????

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Well maybe those liter bikes should learn about "cornerspeed" skills instead of "scream-n-park" skillz :eek:.(The emoticon is the face they make when the small bike goes by them LOL!)

Man, I wish you had that SV when I was out their! ARRGGHHH!

Is it stock or do you have it tricked out (motor I mean).

BZ

Just emulators and a Penske double. Plus the std build (bodywork, clip on etc.) Stock motor with a tune by Karn's performance.

Come back out and we can play

Don't tell Sanders, but we disconnected a spark plug, so he's only running on one Cylinder, Dan. ;)

When you coming back????????

Running on one cylinder eh? Well lets dump a quart of oil in his muffler and Dave can join John and I smoking up the pit area :).

God willing, I may come out a day or two next year. At some point I can fill you in but the hiatus has been a blessing and with more important stuff going on its hard to tell. I still have the TZ. The sale of it fell trough and my lovely wife said : "Don't sell that bike...just sit on it and see what happens in a couple years". I started it the other day and make ring-a-ding-ding noises when in the garage LOL!

BZ

Just emulators and a Penske double. Plus the std build (bodywork, clip on etc.) Stock motor with a tune by Karn's performance.

Come back out and we can play

Damn! You posted when I did.

As stated, God willing, John and I can both sneak out next year and both play with ya Dave. ;). Be gentle...I suspect we will be inconsistent, slow and/ or both LOL!

Oh man, running a stock motor, that could be fun for sure! Do you ride Jefferson ever? That new configuration looks like fun for us.

BZ

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I don't ride JC much so you may have me there. Hope all goes well for you and you are able to make it out soon. I'll punish a few big bikes for you till you get back :D