Tire flipping

psychocycle

I have a set of DC3's that are getting a little beat up on the right side. I heard of guys flipping tires, so I was wondering if this applies to all tires or just slicks. Also if the front doesn't need it you typically wouldn't do it, correct?
Thanks in advance.
Chris

JGardy_781

psychocycle;53730 wrote: I have a set of DC3's that are getting a little beat up on the right side. I heard of guys flipping tires, so I was wondering if this applies to all tires or just slicks. Also if the front doesn't need it you typically wouldn't do it, correct?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
Applies to all REAR tires. Don't use the flipped rear tire in the rain, and don't flip a front at all.

aowens2

I asked the same question awhile back, any tire can be flipped, do not flip a directional tire and ride it in the rain. I have never heard you couldn't flip a front tire, but I am sure I haven't heard it all.

That was the conclusion of about 30 replies.

Blaise

JGardy_781;53731 wrote: Applies to all REAR tires. Don't use the flipped rear tire in the rain, and don't flip a front at all.
Why can't you flip a front in the dry?

JGardy_781

Blaise;53737 wrote: Why can't you flip a front in the dry?
Those faster than I have told me not to.

I used a single front tire for 10 days last year, rotating forward the whole time, using 2 rears each for 5 days; 3 the correct direction, 2 reversed.

Sklossmonster

You can do anything you want, you just can't expect to be free of the consequences when you do.

Track/race tires are directional for a reason. They're constucted and designed to run in one direction. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You can play basketball in flip flops if you want, but I don't recommend it.

It cracks me up the way people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to risk their lives on the track, but won't put on fresh tires.

It's like people who live in a mansion, but eat out of the garbage can to save money.

Flipping race tires can result in "catastrophic failure" not to mention, totally different grip characteristics. If the rear fails, you might save it. When the front fails, you're done.

Think Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" Some things just aren't meant to come back to life, no matter how much you want them to.

Joe Vital

flipping a tire can also give you some odd wear patterns. you might think you have a rebound problem, when there is not one. just be aware of this effect when you do it and don't freak too much when you see it.

psychocycle

Guys thanks for the quick response. I will take the information given and come up with a solution. I do have a brand new set of tires sitting in the garage, but after the $325 price tag I figured I could get another day or two out of the existing tires, or tire. I understand what is being said about the front tire not being flipped. The front tire is fine and doesn't need to be touched. But the rear is getting a flat spot on the right side and I think I could muster another two days out of it. Thanks a bunch and I appreciate all the input.

crewnutz

Sklossmonster;53741 wrote: You can do anything you want, you just can't expect to be free of the consequences when you do.

Track/race tires are directional for a reason. They're constucted and designed to run in one direction. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You can play basketball in flip flops if you want, but I don't recommend it.

It cracks me up the way people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to risk their lives on the track, but won't put on fresh tires.

It's like people who live in a mansion, but eat out of the garbage can to save money.

Flipping race tires can result in "catastrophic failure" not to mention, totally different grip characteristics. If the rear fails, you might save it. When the front fails, you're done.

Think Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" Some things just aren't meant to come back to life, no matter how much you want them to.

ill be the first to agree.............unfortunately once you get up to a certain speed and you arent made of money not everyone can afford a new rear tire for everyday on the track

ive flipped plenty of rears, that said i dont get upset when i flip a tire and it starts to wear strangely, i just run it as long as i can

i only flip tires for trackdays............

i dont really notice any different grip characteristics for the rear tire on a Pirelli though to be 100% honest............usually when i flip a tire its nearly seen its last days so the grip sucks to begin with

Rick Johnson

+1 on what Marshall said. I know tires are not cheap but crashing and injuries are alot more
expensive.I have never flipped a tire and don't think I ever will.Maybe check on the Bridgestone
003 R/S.I've heard some good things about them for a trackday tire.I've seen them for $300 a set.
For about $350 you can get the 003 races and they are great tires.

psychocycle

crewnutz;53747 wrote: ill be the first to agree.............unfortunately once you get up to a certain speed and you arent made of money not everyone can afford a new rear tire for everyday on the track

ive flipped plenty of rears, that said i dont get upset when i flip a tire and it starts to wear strangely, i just run it as long as i can

i only flip tires for trackdays............

i dont really notice any different grip characteristics for the rear tire on a Pirelli though to be 100% honest............usually when i flip a tire its nearly seen its last days so the grip sucks to begin with
That was the answer I was looking for. I know its not going to be a brand new tire and it might feel funny at first, but I can get a couple of days out of it and not worry about it coming apart because of the way it is wound or something catastrophic like that.

psychocycle

Rick Johnson;53749 wrote: +1 on what Marshall said. I know tires are not cheap but crashing and injuries are alot more
expensive.I have never flipped a tire and don't think I ever will.Maybe check on the Bridgestone
003 R/S.I've heard some good things about them for a trackday tire.I've seen them for $300 a set.
For about $350 you can get the 003 races and they are great tires.
Awsome Rick. I have another set of DC3's I just bought from Chris Moon, so after I burn these up I might be looking for something else and I will consider the Bridgestones.

crewnutz

psychocycle;53750 wrote: That was the answer I was looking for. I know its not going to be a brand new tire and it might feel funny at first, but I can get a couple of days out of it and not worry about it coming apart because of the way it is wound or something catastrophic like that.
i dont know about a couple of days............

maybe i shouldve mentioned...when i flip a rear tire, to me that means the tire is damn near shot but i still want to get one more trackday or a morning practice session before throwing a new rear on
i run a flipped tire for MAXIMUM 1 trackday
i use DOT's though, not DC3's

Blaise

Sklossmonster;53741 wrote: Track/race tires are directional for a reason. They're constucted and designed to run in one direction. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
I was under the impression that the tires were directional only because of the direction of the grooves with respect to venting water? :dunno:

I guess a simple way to answer that would be: Are slicks directional?

JGardy_781

Blaise;53761 wrote: I guess a simple way to answer that would be: Are slicks directional?
My only experience is with Dunlop KR106/108s, and they have arrows on the side indicating the intended direction of rotation, if that's what you mean.

Sklossmonster

Brandon,

You're absolutely right, and don't misunderstand me ... I've flipped more rear tires than I care to confess. But as an industry professional I'm obligated to give people not only the official view, but also my personal opinion. And when people start talking about flipping fronts it makes me nervous.

I guess I should just tell them to flip fronts all day, especially since Turn One Racing sells all the crash repair parts they need anyway :D

Blaise

Marshall,

Thanks for the input. If the grooves have nothing to do with water, how come most word-of-mouth advice is just to not flip tires in the rain?

Andrei

motorcycle decelerates faster than it can accelerate. Front tire carcass is smaller while must still be able to support that stress adequately. Hence not surprising that design includes taking into account the direction of forces exerted on the contact patch.