Tire flipping

gkotlin

You may also want to note. Everyone that said that they have flipped tires was and Advanced rider in their signature. As a newer rider, you need that extra safety buffer of good tires. If your not as smooth as can be, you can easily exceed the tires capabilities if you have a tire that is being used properly but capabale beyond your abilities, you have a buffer for those times when you ask more of the tire then your riding pace or skill may normally need. If your always changing brands or flipping them, you may be cheating yourself on actually learning what a tire might be saying. Yes, tires talk to you. But only if you listen. Through your seat of the pants, the clipons, foot pegs, there is all kinds of communication going on. Pick a tire, stick with it and give yourself a chance to learn it's characteristics. I'd rather see someone skip one track day so they can afford good tires that may last them a few days, then push a tire that was done yesterday and end up hurt, needing new tires and lots of parts to fix their bike.

crewnutz

gkotlin;53813 wrote: You may also want to note. Everyone that said that they have flipped tires was and Advanced rider in their signature. As a newer rider, you need that extra safety buffer of good tires. If your not as smooth as can be, you can easily exceed the tires capabilities if you have a tire that is being used properly but capabale beyond your abilities, you have a buffer for those times when you ask more of the tire then your riding pace or skill may normally need. If your always changing brands or flipping them, you may be cheating yourself on actually learning what a tire might be saying. Yes, tires talk to you. But only if you listen. Through your seat of the pants, the clipons, foot pegs, there is all kinds of communication going on. Pick a tire, stick with it and give yourself a chance to learn it's characteristics. I'd rather see someone skip one track day so they can afford good tires that may last them a few days, then push a tire that was done yesterday and end up hurt, needing new tires and lots of parts to fix their bike.

excellent points

greeny

Sklossmonster;53741 wrote: You can do anything you want, you just can't expect to be free of the consequences when you do.

Track/race tires are directional for a reason. They're constucted and designed to run in one direction. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You can play basketball in flip flops if you want, but I don't recommend it.

It cracks me up the way people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to risk their lives on the track, but won't put on fresh tires.

It's like people who live in a mansion, but eat out of the garbage can to save money.

Flipping race tires can result in "catastrophic failure" not to mention, totally different grip characteristics. If the rear fails, you might save it. When the front fails, you're done.

Think Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" Some things just aren't meant to come back to life, no matter how much you want them to.
wow... all that typing with just one hand? now that is dedication ;)

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I've flipped both front and rear, but flipping a front, in my opinion, is not worth the rist. You can save the rear sliding around but if you loose the front, well its tough to recover. when i flip a front i just loose all confidence and its just not fun anymore. Besides a front tire is cheap.

Revvin' Evan

I've flipped michelins countless times. Many more rears then fronts but like others said flipping a front is iffy and you have to understand that the traction level may be compromised and ride accordingly.

twin ty

I only run Diablo SuperCorsas and Supercorsa Pro's. Flipped them both (rear only) with no issues. When the fronts done it get tossed not flipped. Im not telling you to do it but I have and will continue to. :cool:

Ty

suzukigirl

My only thoughts to share...

I do NOT mess around when it comes to a front tire ; ) No matter if the risk is high or low... What do you do if things go wrong on the front end?? How do you save it?? I will not risk it- not worth it!

Meat

When you use 2 rears to 1 front, I feel as though that is more than enough heat cycles on the front to warrant tossing it. So, I haven’t flipped a front tire yet.

JohnS

I flipped a rear Dunlop GPA once and it split at the seam, was not good. On the other hand I have flipped more then few DC III rears and no problems.

John