Tire pressure for Q2's at the track?

Consciouspilot

I run my bike on curvy public mountain roads and on the track during track days with Q2's.
What pressure ranges would you recommend at the track vs. on curvy mountain roads.
I have only gone as low as 33 front and 33 rear at the track.

rk97

I believe the 32/32 recommendation by Dunlop is accurate. That said, I did 30/30 or slightly lower for sprint races (no warmers).

You'll be close if you start in that range and adjust to suit the feel you prefer.

Wawazat

I have had good luck with 30/29. Experiment in that range and see where that gets you. This many people can't be wrong.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

beac83

I've had extremely good behavior with 31 front / 29 rear COLD temps. I get 5-6 days out of a Q2 rear at mid-I pace, running 5 or 6 sessions/day.

RADAR Magnet

Lonewrench;228266 wrote: 32/32 hot
I'm not smart enough to post a link to the other thread but Steve B says 32/32 is cold in post 26 of the Q2 FAQ thread. That said, everyone tweaks to suit their own preference but 32/32 cold is the starting point.

BigBird

madriders86;228423 wrote: 30-32 COLD is stated by the dunlop officiando's all over the place...
all depends...felt like ice skates at those pressures.

my setting 31/28-29 hot!

But I suck, so take it for what it's worth. it was also suggested by a CR.

hufflepuff

Shouldn't running lower pressure allow the tire carcass to flex and conform more to the track, maximizing the contact patch, and therefore, traction?

i only have two events under my belt and i was running crappy street tires, but my bike felt good at 30-30 psi HOT.

rugbydawg13

32/32 cold is the recommnded starting point. Its a guideline. Need more grip? Drop a couple psi. Need more stability, raise it a couple. Chuck probably came to that hot number because it gave the grip he or others wanted wanted on the tracks we run.

Sent from my DROID2

madriders86

hufflepuff;234055 wrote: Shouldn't running lower pressure allow the tire carcass to flex and conform more to the track, maximizing the contact patch, and therefore, traction?
Yes, to an extent. Running them too low has its own problems though. Also, some tires have a more flexible carcass than other, thus they do not need to be run at as low a tire pressure.

DUNLOP-RTS

Consciouspilot;228111 wrote: I run my bike on curvy public mountain roads and on the track during track days with Q2's.
What pressure ranges would you recommend at the track vs. on curvy mountain roads.
I have only gone as low as 33 front and 33 rear at the track.
We recommend 32f/32r cold. 34f/34r hot.

IF you wanted to get a little bit more grip you could go down 2 psi in the rear. but the trade off is stability and tire life.

Our factory test riders have put down all their fast laps and control laps using 34f/32r. varying more the 2 psi from this is diminishing returns and is more a mental thing than an actual performance issue.

I am sure I am going to get those that disagree with me, but I am basing this on the best lap times put down by our control test riders and the feedback they give when adjusting PSI. All I can quote you is the facts. Going lower than 32 on the front is not recommended because the stability and steering drops off. Lower than 32 on the rear and the stability and tire life drops.

Some may be happy with lower PSI, but as they increase in lap times, stability becomes very important. As the rider progresses he will likely move to higher pressures or to a race tire.

miticale

How would you guys rate The Q2 longevity vs. Michelin Power Ones? Did a weekends worth of track days on power ones and the rear was cooked after the whole weekend (however, I did not and will not be using warmers). Sorry to resurrect and old thread, thought it'd be appropriate in here, thanks