Tire pressure for Q2's at the track?

rk97

miticale;253757 wrote: How would you guys rate The Q2 longevity vs. Michelin Power Ones? Did a weekends worth of track days on power ones and the rear was cooked after the whole weekend (however, I did not and will not be using warmers). Sorry to resurrect and old thread, thought it'd be appropriate in here, thanks
Unfortunately they're not really comparable tires, so any comparison is going to have disclaimers attached.

I ran Q2's for a couple of years. At a fast "I" or slower "A" pace, I would get 4-5 days out of the rear (flipping it once to even out wear). It's definitely a harder compound than a Power One.

I mounted Power One's Sunday morning and did 6 full sessions worth of riding on them (in Advanced, if that matters) at BeaveRun. Honestly they wore a bit more than I would have expected, and I was running warmers between sessions. But the wear was even and uniform, so no complaints for the price.

I would bet that Power Ones are "good" for 3 days, and "okay" for a fourth, but they are MUCH stickier than the Q2's and seem to be a lot softer. I'm only talking rear tire wear here, and assuming you flip either tire to get maximum life from it.

A Q2 will definitely last a bit longer, but you'll sacrifice grip to get that longevity. Personally, I don't believe that I go any faster on Power Ones than on Q2's, but I can turn more laps at (near) maximum pace without the Power Ones overheating and feeling greasy.

Can I definitively say that I crashed on lap 3 of a race last year because I had overheated the Q2 and spun the rear? No. Can I definitively say that the fresh Power One i ran on Sunday gripped well for all 20 minutes of each session I rode? Yes.

So if you're a faster "I" rider, the Power One is probably the more appropriate tire. If you're not, then the Q2 isn't likely to overheat and will last longer with no real draw-back as far as the grip your pace requires.

Turbobusa311Hp

I tried 32/32 on my ZX10 with Q2's and it felt great. I tried 30/30 just to try, didn't notice an improvement, and went back to 32/32. I only got 2.5 days out of the rear without flipping. I'm using the Pirelli Superbike Pro's now.