Top Speeds at Road Atlanta (600cc SuperSport)

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Folks, let the history books prove you were witness to it here …

RUS invasion of UKR? Nope.

PRC invasion of TWN? Nope.

World War III started with an insult towards a DEU engineer about his math abilities.

In a US motorcycle forum for crying out loud.
It’s all fun and games until my American half forgets to carry the one, and I send ze missiles into @bmart ’s backyard.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Figured out why it's such a "rocket". It has 15 / 45 gears. Looks like its supposed to have 16/42 in stock set up. @MK3Brent gearing commander has me at a theoretical top speed of 130. I think it was set up for NHMS. Thank you guys for the criticism ;)

rpm894

Figured out why it's such a "rocket". It has 15 / 45 gears. Looks like its supposed to have 16/42 in stock set up. @MK3Brent gearing commander has me at a theoretical top speed of 130. I think it was set up for NHMS. Thank you guys for the criticism ;)
If it is like most 600s, factory gearing is too tall, but 15/45 sounds too short. If your chain allows it, maybe keep the 15 and try a 42 or 43 rear. You will find that you need taller gearing than you think you do as you get faster. So what might feel slow off a corner now with less gearing will end up putting you in the power at a higher rpm when you are carrying more speed.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Even if you do a gearing calculator you're only calculating theoretical top speed. You aren't accounting for pushing against the air and weight.

rpm894

Even if you do a gearing calculator you're only calculating theoretical top speed. You aren't accounting for pushing against the air and weight.
I was talking to Brent about this because apparently he does know how to count. The speed for any given RPM and gear is independent of power / air resistance, assuming you have the power to get there. So if you are on the limiter in 6th, the calculator should be correct.

I compared my GPS data (I use the R1 YEC data system in the R6) using multiple different gearing ratios to the calculator. I also compared data from my stock engine to my rebuilt more powerful engine. The calculator matches my data.

Make sure you enter the correct tire size info since Dunlop slicks are not stock size.