Turn 5 Crash Sunday I group

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Blaise;17373 wrote: Luckily I've never gone through it, but I hear that these processes to get full motion range back are extremely painful.
the more you do for yourself, the less the therapist has to do....and that's a good thing

GhostZer0

They have me on a machine right now at home 2 hours at a time 2 times a day. It bends my knee for me. And yes it is very painful. If anything I'm going to know a lot about pain at the end of all this. I don't think i tore all that stuff you mentioned just two of em. I'll post it when i know exactly what happened.

The Dr did say i may have some stability issues on the inside of my knee. What does that mean exactly? How will it affect my riding? I'm getting my PT setup today and will be attending soon. I get the staples out on next Tue. I'm looking forward to that.

I figured there isn't really a knee guard for happened to me. I figure its a 1 in a million wreck. And i just got screwed.

Landshark

Control Rider
You may be able to get an asterisk knee brace under them. I could when i first switched from dirt. Just remove the knee cup.

meanstrk

Control Rider
Last year, I almost lost my left leg at the knee due to a dirt bike wreck. I had a new ACL and PCL installed and have a hard time with range of motion, but it does not stop me from doing track days or ride daily. PT is a bitch as you already know, but do everything you can to tolerate it.

Best of luck.

adictionbass

Todd, I have the video and will post it up on youtube at your request. After watching it again, its not "graphic", but its definitely a bad wreck. Good luck with PT and hope to see you out there next year.

Folly1

Todd,

I have frequent flier miles with knee operations. My wife, son and dog have all had ACL replacements also.
2 big points: Do the physical therapy for range of motion and give it time to heal. I doubt that you will be back to full strength before 6-9 months.

Hope all goes well for you.

Ben.

GhostZer0

Hey guys i got back from my first PT session, all went well. I have about 57 degrees of motion in my knee now. The PT guy "Craig" said 6-9 months sounds about right for a full recovery. I'm just looking forward to being able to drive again, and get around with out crutches. But any way i have the video of the wreck from my POV on my profile on myspace just give it some time to load it takes a minute. www.myspace.com/tuonotodd is the link. Let me know when you have a link to that other movie. Thanks again for all the support guys, take care.

P.S. I tore my MCL and dislocated my knee cap officially along with some other minor muscles.

FrostyFire

Does the video also stop playing at 3:35 for anyone else?????? I tried to refresh a couple times and same result.

Folly1

Todd,

I watched the video. If you don't mind posting what you remember of the events leading up to it, others might be able to avoid a replay.

Again, good luck with the recovery. Being a "good patient" is something I have aspired to, but rarely achieved.

Ben.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
GhostZer0;17657 wrote:
P.S. I tore my MCL and dislocated my knee cap officially along with some other minor muscles.
get the F#CK outta here?!?!?! that's actually much better news than I thought.....

Anyways...keep up the therapy and you should be back in no time (no time being 9 months)

Yank 521

Control Rider
todd, good to hear u will be ok. i came over to turn 5 on the pit bike and seen it was u. i also talked to kenny and he told me about your card from work. wow, them guys are tough on u. lol.. heal up and see u next season.

GhostZer0

Thanks for the support. Has any one got the link to that other vid yet? All the guys from work are like that, not just to me either. You get used to it, its like a big joke, just never really take any of em seriously.

What did you mean by card? like my biz card?

Did some more PT today got up to 62 degrees of movement. This range of motion stuff sucks bad. But it'll be worth it in the end.

beevan217

To the people involved the crash,
I'm glad you both are ok or recovering. to Todd:

I had two knee surgeries November 1st & 20th of 2007. I had to use the same machine you are referring to. I tore my ACL (complete tear, allograft from cadaver achillies? tendon) & my meniscus. I would say that I am about or near 85-90% recovered lacking only in strength in some movements mainly one legged squats. I used the machine 3 times per day at least 2 hours each time. I was back on the track for my first track day of the year at VIR July 7th weekend. I was in worse shape mentally than my knee was physically...lol

The knee was fine. Once I got my confidence back (1) from being back on the track and (2) trusting that my knee was actually ok to ride, I was fine. I was able to scrape a few turns the first day of the weekend but, was a lot more confident on North.

My point in posting is that the PT is going to be mainly how YOU aprroach it. If you BS with it, that's what you'll get out of it. If you put your all in to it, you'll see the results of your hard work & dedication to YOU. I can't stress enough how important it will be to CONTINUOUSLY ICE YOUR KNEE! Ice will be one of your best friends & biggest tools so to speak on your recovery. If you received a cryo cuff, use it. If not, get a small to medium sized cup or round plastic container & fill with water. Use that to ice knee. Either way, I pray for your complete recovery & that you are mindful the next time you ride.

All the best,

Barron

GhostZer0

After seeing that video I honestly feel lucky to still have my leg, let alone no broken bones. I got sucked up and whipped around like a rag doll. I'm also really lucky I didn't hurt any thing else. All though i can thank the Arai fpr saving my head I'll have to post some pics of it and my gear.

Thanks for the Vid, I linked it to my myspace so if you could leave it up on youtube for awhile that would be great. Thanks again.

Just wondering, for future reference what do you guys think i could have done different to either avoid the wreck or make it less traumatic?

I would say don't follow so close again for number 1.

pmrmusic26

That was the 2nd lap out...so I was still getting my tires warmed up... I dont have tire warmers....So I would say a few of us are not riding as hard the first few laps...So I would say maybe do the same next time lol...You can see your front brake lock up and smoke up.

Marcmcm

GhostZer0;18039 wrote: After seeing that video I honestly feel lucky to still have my leg, let alone no broken bones. I got sucked up and whipped around like a rag doll. I'm also really lucky I didn't hurt any thing else. All though i can thank the Arai fpr saving my head I'll have to post some pics of it and my gear.

Thanks for the Vid, I linked it to my myspace so if you could leave it up on youtube for awhile that would be great. Thanks again.

Just wondering, for future reference what do you guys think i could have done different to either avoid the wreck or make it less traumatic?

I would say don't follow so close again for number 1.
Try being a little less agressive on passing...it's a trackday after all not a race.

Dave561

Control Rider
Looking at both vids looks like you grabbed a handful of throttle without looking far enough ahead. Both of you passed a slower rider down the hill but another was too close. The first crashed rider saw him, but you didn't. Always be aware of the rider in front but also keep your attention further ahead. Another thing is don't follow the wheel tracks of another rider into a hard braking zone. If you were staggerd a bit you could have had more time to react. Unfortunately these are two small clips and I don't know all the details but that's my opinion.

Jiggy

Control Rider
slow_honda;18049 wrote: ...Another thing is don't follow the wheel tracks of another rider into a hard braking zone. If you were staggerd a bit you could have had more time to react.
Unfortunately, not following that advice has harsh consequences. Heal up brotha, hope to see you out here next year. Even after reading the details in the thread, i didnt expect the wreck to look that bad on video. It did. I still have a knot in my stomach. Heal up fast!