Unfortunate news from Beaverun.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Good luck, PJ, you'll be in my prayers for successful surgery and recovery. Let us know how it goes when you can.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Good luck. Hope you heal quickly. My ortho dr told me you can lose up to an inch of your collar bone with no issues. Mine is now a half inch shorter. I don't have any issues except my shirts hang a little funny.

rk97

I didn't realize surgery was today.

I'm gonna go text you now and hopefully catch you before the anesthesia is completely worn off... :D

PJZOCC624

Hey guys! Well, the surgery is done, and man am I sore! Doc was happy how the surgery went, and I can (through the surgical pain) feel the difference in the stability of the bone. The clavicle was displaced 300% so I'm not terribly surprised that I can feel the change. Doc was awesome. I was a bit nervous in preop - not about the procedure itself, but undergoing general anesthesia. Doc got me calmed and laughing, and then the Versed hit! YEAH BUDDY!!!! Love me some anxiolytics!! Woke up what felt like 30 seconds later in recovery, feeling like I had spent the night partying in Tijuana all night - terrible dry mouth, wicked hangover, and sore throat. They brought Jill in to see me, and her face brought me comfort. :) They hit me with 8mg of morphine iv, and things started to seem right with the world again! After a bit of in and out of grogginess, the nurse brought me a couple of purple popsicles, and they were about the best popsicles I've ever had. About 130, they discharged me, and I was home around 215. (Surgery was 8am) I've been sitting in the recliner pretty much the whole time I've been home. I've been instructed to take it easy by doc, wife, family, and friends. I'm hoping today that the discomfort will continue to subside, and maybe tomorrow I will get up and about a little bit.

Thanks, Don, for stopping over last week to pull the bike out of the rv and onto the lift in the garage! It's really not in terrible shape for the tumble it took - bodywork is roughed up, broken clip ons, busted front master and clutch master, front wheel or forks MAY be bent, but I need to at least measure the tubes to get an idea. It certainly could have been much worse. No leaks, and the bike actually fired up first try. It'll be a work in progress, for sure.

I'm gonna start tricking out the Zuma next! Its got a big bore kit on it, LeoVince pipe (hoping the bbk is a LV also, but need to open the hood on it yet), but I want to upgrade the suspension and brakes, maybe some supafly rims and bling-bling! If anyone has suggestion, let me hear them!

I'll keep my body and bike progress updated as things go on. Tom, best wishes to you on your recovery as well. Keep me posted! For now, it's more oxycodone, ESPN, and NETFLIX on today's schedule. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts, folks. It really helps!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Glad surgery went well, PJ. I hope you can come to the Beave in July to hang out, it would be good to see you and trade microbrews! NJ brewery Flying Fish has an "Exit 16" a rice IPA that's delicious! Good therapy!

Randal03r1

Control Rider
Great News PJ!

I was thinking the duck crashed fairly well considering the crash it took. Heal up bro and eat some serious vegetables to speed the healing process!

PJZOCC624

Bored out of my mind! Relegated to sleeping in this friggin' recliner for the next couple weeks... sucks ass! Will need to call Stanley Steamer to rid my dead ass stank from this thing when all's done and said!

Speaking of STANK... Got the ok from ortho this morning to hit the shower! Gotta throw a Tegaderm on the surgery site, but at least I get to wash my bid'nes!

WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Kinda makes you wonder how some of the guys that race get back on a bike so quickly at such a high level after similar surgeries.

Colin Edwards comes to mind..he broke his collarbone a few years ago..had to have it pinned and he was racing shortly afterwards.

Pridmore broke his leg in T1/T2 at Road Atlanta in a high side about 10 years ago in a Formula Extreme race on his GSXR1000. Dr. Ting put like 21 screws in his lower leg..and six weeks afterwards, if I recall correctly, he won at Mid-Ohio.

I mean..I'm sure they get lots of private/extra attention from Dr.'s....but still the human body can only heal so fast.

Also tells you just how bad Spies shoulder is after his crash that he cannot race right now.

PJZOCC624

D-Zum;276009 wrote: Kinda makes you wonder how some of the guys that race get back on a bike so quickly at such a high level after similar surgeries.

Colin Edwards comes to mind..he broke his collarbone a few years ago..had to have it pinned and he was racing shortly afterwards.

Pridmore broke his leg in T1/T2 at Road Atlanta in a high side about 10 years ago in a Formula Extreme race on his GSXR1000. Dr. Ting put like 21 screws in his lower leg..and six weeks afterwards, if I recall correctly, he won at Mid-Ohio.

I mean..I'm sure they get lots of private/extra attention from Dr.'s....but still the human body can only heal so fast.

Also tells you just how bad Spies shoulder is after his crash that he cannot race right now.
Yeah, I was thinking about some of those guys the last couple days, how they get back on the ride so quick...

Couple things: They're in much better physical condition than I am (shocking, I know!), which allows their body to heal at a more accelerated rate (in terms of muscle condition, atrophy etc... bones heal at the same rate regardless of body type) post surgery. And yeah, they've got docs and pt's and trainers working with them daily. Those guys aren't sitting in a recliner, going through medical EOBs, trying to manage the balance between household/family and recovery, yadda yadda yadda...

But, I agree %100. Knowing the discomfort I'm in now, and seeing what some riders and athletes can do in a short time frame post injury is impressive to say the least. If CEIII had my injury, he'd be back on a bike by the 4th of July. Me, I doubt I'll be on 2 wheels by September... and that'd be on a scooter!

(Shower felt GREAT btw!)