Update

Trent1098S

Didn't feel like diggin' back for the Chronicles thread, but wanted to post an update because a couple people asked me to. Been a couple of months since my off at RA, and I wish I could say things have improved, but for the last month, they haven't. Think I need to vent a little anyway so here goes. :)

I've got 90% of my range of motion back in my left wrist, but it still can't bear weight unless it's straight in line (e.g. pullups ok, and pushups are ok on the knuckles but not on the palms). Still totally numb (nerve dead) along the edge of the hand and the Scaphoid bone still noticeably displaced. I still can't carry things "thumb side up" because it puts pressure around that bone and it sends a jolt of pain that makes me drop things.

My ankle is still fooked. Have bad probs going up and down stairs, especially down. Can't crouch down to lift stuff up, etc. Can walk about 10 mins before I have to rest it, wants to roll under me when I turn, etc. Real pain in the ass.

Got a list of orthopedic surgeons that are covered by the insurance company sent to me this week, going to schedule a trip to see if it's possible to fix my ankle. They can repair some ligament damage with surgery, depending on where it is, so who knows. Sure as hell ain't right the way it is so I've gotta get something done.

Already dumped most of my credits, can't use them in time with only one event left in the MW.

Shameless plug time..

Going to patch up the GSXR 1000 and put it up in the classifieds in a month or so, if you're interested in picking up a fast literbike, keep an eye out around end of September, mid November... Gotta make it pretty and functional first. Will be some other parts going up soon too, got some new, unmounted NTEC's that need to get used before they go stale over the winter :), new in the box GPS timer, etc.

Depending on how things go with my ankle, I may be totally out, or maybe back again next year on a different bike.... I'm done this year for sure, but dunno what the future has in store yet.

Not saying goodbye to anyone because this ain't one, not yet anyway.

fitz

Trent you have added a lot to this organization, with your passion for the sport and your sincerity, hope you stick with us. (if I like Putnum I might be out "west" a lot more) :)

Having said that, what bike you going to buy next year, an R6? You know you want one! :D

fitz

kbonigut

Sorry your recovery is going poorly, hopefully the right ortho can help square some of this away for you. the right dr and the right procedures can do along way. hope to see you out there again next year.

j_fuggin_t

stick with it bud!!! when i broke my leg 2 years ago & the most recognized surgeon in Northwest indiana looks at you & tells you that you have a 90% chance of losing your leg, it gets hard to stay positive. But i did & yea i'm 1 1/4" shorter on my left leg now, can't run (i was a damn good runner) or play alot of the sports i used to i stuck with it.

Did you alter your diet to add minerals & nutrients for healing?? Have they tried any ultra sound treatments??

finny47

Hang in there. When I smashed up my hand with my highside in '08, it took a good 9 months before my right hand was 100%. Give it time.

xlink

Give it time Trent,

Ligaments take a long time to heal...you'll be back to normal soon (it is never soon enough though, we all know it).

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Trent,
Good to hear all is going well, just remember it only gets better!! Hang in there

clandestiny

Hang in there man.

Took me about 9 months to get full use of my right calf and ankle after my surgery. Keep up on the PT. It sucks some times, but it helps in the end.

iamnotgreg

Trent - If Midwest Orthopedics is in your plan I can make you some good recommendations. They guy who re-attached my leg and the other guy who did my knee are now both part of the same org.

A couple years later he used what he learned patching me back together to put DanO back together. The guy is putting his kids through school on us bikers, but he is good at what he does. I still have a right leg and can walk and run now. I was told there were 3 docs in Ill who could keep my leg and he was one of them. Get out here to the city and go to a research hospital.

The guy who put me back together is at Rush - Northwestern and UofC also have some fantastic docs - I can point you in the right direction of the best there is at Rush or Northwestern. One of the other members at CLSB is a doc over at Northwestern and he might be able to expedited your wait times to see someone there.

Don't give up

Domenic

Trent
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble recovering. I kind of enjoyed the drama in your posts. Like an Italian Opera. But, this time it went a bit too far. Hope you recover soon.

Trent1098S

Thanks for the posts guys, picked up my spirits a lot tonight. I know that others have been screwed up a lot worse than me, and I'm thankful it's not worse. Just seriously pissed off that I can't do the stuff I used to do. At karate, they have me teaching instead of working out, and I can't spar, which REALLY sucks. Gotta ask for help all the friggin time moving stuff or carrying things, which also really sucks.

Even simple shit like grocery shopping is tough. I was at WalMart the other night and almost got run over by a fat lady on the beep-beep-beep machine when I sat down in an aisle to get my foot/ankle unlocked so I could walk again. Something in there gets loose and binds up, and I gotta roll my foot around for a min to pop it loose again. She was rude.

Anyway I got a new respect for the guys who have recovered from worse injury and bounced back. Not being able to do stuff you normally do is really f'n depressing, especially when I'm surrounded by friends & family that say "told you so", or "saw that coming", or "are you done being stupid yet?" Not my wife, of course, but my mom, grandparents, etc.. all are very anti-riding. Normally got a thick skin and a hard head but both wearing thin lately. So has my temper, so I'm trying to keep myself busy doing stuff to avoid bitching at people in the house all the time. :)

fitz;150562 wrote:
Having said that, what bike you going to buy next year, an R6? You know you want one! :D
fitz
If I keep doing track days it'll be a used R6 or a used 848. The reason why I'd consider an 848 is I already got a ton of stuff I can move from my 1098 - bodywork, rearsets, tools, stands, etc. Either way I'm going with a smaller bike so I got more "room" to save a spinning rear a little better.. :)

j_fuggin_t;150564 wrote:

Did you alter your diet to add minerals & nutrients for healing?? Have they tried any ultra sound treatments??
Actually no, I haven't. I've noticed I've been craving more cereal and green stuff, but I still don't eat altogether healthy. It's probably part of why I might be healing slow. Didn't think about it till now, the nutrition and healing process are pretty tightly linked, come to think of it. I miss WAY too many meals. Been bummed out and haven't had much of an appetite for a month or so. Need to change that! Thanks for pointing that out man!

ERB68

Trent1098S;150742 wrote: Thanks for the posts guys, picked up my spirits a lot tonight. I know that others have been screwed up a lot worse than me, and I'm thankful it's not worse. Just seriously pissed off that I can't do the stuff I used to do. At karate, they have me teaching instead of working out, and I can't spar, which REALLY sucks. Gotta ask for help all the friggin time moving stuff or carrying things, which also really sucks.

Even simple shit like grocery shopping is tough. I was at WalMart the other night and almost got run over by a fat lady on the beep-beep-beep machine when I sat down in an aisle to get my foot/ankle unlocked so I could walk again. Something in there gets loose and binds up, and I gotta roll my foot around for a min to pop it loose again. She was rude.

Anyway I got a new respect for the guys who have recovered from worse injury and bounced back. Not being able to do stuff you normally do is really f'n depressing, especially when I'm surrounded by friends & family that say "told you so", or "saw that coming", or "are you done being stupid yet?" Not my wife, of course, but my mom, grandparents, etc.. all are very anti-riding. Normally got a thick skin and a hard head but both wearing thin lately. So has my temper, so I'm trying to keep myself busy doing stuff to avoid bitching at people in the house all the time. :)

Actually no, I haven't. I've noticed I've been craving more cereal and green stuff, but I still don't eat altogether healthy. It's probably part of why I might be healing slow. Didn't think about it till now, the nutrition and healing process are pretty tightly linked, come to think of it. I miss WAY too many meals. Been bummed out and haven't had much of an appetite for a month or so. Need to change that! Thanks for pointing that out man!
Trent, I know it is tough to stay positive. I have had 3 major back blow outs and narrowly escaped surgery. Then had to have a hip replaced cause that was bad and the cause of the back injuries. It was very scary when the doc's wanted to cut my back open but could tell me what they were going to fix, so I held off. They were very slow recoveries but well worth it in the end. Backs are still somewhat of a mystery to the medical field. The rest the seem to have a real good handle on. My hip replacement went excellent and I am back to living life and having fun.

Listen to the Doc's but use your best judgment cause it's your body!

Go to a good health food store and get a good multivitamin and order the the stuff I sent you a link for. Nutrition is everything when it comes to recovery/repair.

BTW none of my injuries were from riding motorcycles and if we listen to every negative person we would never leave the house. It's your live! LIVE IT!

sobottka

hang in there trent! go to the doctor and get all fixed up, dont make any decisions on riding now, just heal up.
here was my leg im 07 and i came back- you can too!
brokenankle007.jpg

brokenankle004.jpg

j_fuggin_t

Trent1098S;150742 wrote:
GREEEEEENS!!! eat the hell out of them, cut sugar, pops etc.. out of your diet, stay away from high sodium contents all of that stuff works. They put me on an ultrasound bone healing machine because i asked if there was a way to speed up healing (10 months on crutches gets old quick) and most of all CONFIDENCE, if you think its going to heal it will if you stress yourself out it creates a lengthier heal time. The FIRST thing i said to my surgeon/dr was "excuse me dr. i have ONE question, am i going to be able to move my foot up & down 3-4" either way when my leg heals??" he replied "sure i dont' see that being a problem you missed the joint barely but missed it. But can i ask why??" I replied "Doc.. I gotta be able to shift gears ya know!!" btw thats when my mom walked out LOL here's a few pics to let ya know just what you can walk away & still ride from

http://img528.imageshack.us/i/xray1.jpg/

http://img508.imageshack.us/i/xray2.jpg/

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/knee.jpg/

Hitman954

Sobottka: holy crap that looks painful. Please dont post anymore lol I can almost feel it looking at those pics.
Trent: I feel your pain. Seven years ago I slipped a disk in my back. Took me over a year to really start recovering. Now I'm back jammin again like it never happened. I still get pain from time to time, but nothing I cant live with considering how I did feel.