Vesrah Pads......

noupf

I am looking to replace my RJL's with a new set. I like the RJL's, but I was thinking about trying the SRJL's for something a little more agressive. If I read them correctly, the RJL's are a solid pad for aggressive street riding or trackday's. The SRJL's have a bit more initial bite and stay linear throughout the breaking, even with heat build up. Persoanlly, I think i need to carry more speed and brake later to start getting my times closer to A pace ( currently high I pace )....meaning, I think i need more braking power. I am running stock brakes and master ( besides the RJL's ) on my 2006 R6r. I'm not really looking to spend $350 for a brembo master right now.......unless its really needed.

Anybody have or go from RJL's to the SRJL's ? They are about twice the price ( which i dont care about ), so there has to be a reason. Will i get more braking and better feel by upgrading?

Thoughts......opinions and ideas welcome !!

borislav

Control Rider
Lee get them,I switched from RJL to SRJL XX this year and they are soooo much better. They have soft initial bite (which I like)and after that nice and progressive with a lot of power to stop the train but very easy to modulate.
You'll love them!

motorkas

Lee get them,I switched from RJL to SRJL XX this year and they are soooo much better. They have soft initial bite (which I like)and after that nice and progressive with a lot of power to stop the train but very easy to modulate.
You'll love them!

Hey brother, do you think to take full advantage of them, you would need the stiffer side walls of a race tire? Should he do both at the same time, or brakes first, get use to them, then race tires, and get use to the additional stopping power, feel and traction of just the new rubber alone. . . or go race tires first, then brakes. . .?

noupf

Hey brother, do you think to take full advantage of them, you would need the stiffer side walls of a race tire? Should he do both at the same time, or brakes first, get use to them, then race tires, and get use to the additional stopping power, feel and traction of just the new rubber alone. . . or go race tires first, then brakes. . .?

see, this is why i like the forums.

Bo, thanks for the info, i was hoping somebody of high skill would chime in and let me know their thoughts of the SRJL's. However, you did become a CR riding the RJL's.......so it might not even help me that much, no?

motorkas, thanks for the info on the tires and brakes. I never thought of the "changing too much at once" scenario. I'm gonna need new rubber before my next rack day, i might start with the rubber, get a day on them and then change the pads.

motorkas

My favorite Bo line dude. . ."uhhhhh, dude, you think you can run a consistent race line for once. . .maybe?"

It's crazy, between Lenny's dance to help us set up with body positioning (among other things), Bo's constant hammering of all things technical, Dave's twist the throttle as your picking up the bike, Rob's "stop being a P*SSY", Kris' obvious favoritism of my brother and all the other CR's and riders great advice we received in the paddock, we were shocked at how much time you can drop with non mechanical improvements. Staying on the race line alone is worth a couple of seconds because you can carry more speed everywhere because you're using more of the track and making the turns shorter and faster.

I personally switched from Q2's to slicks at the end of B group and was amazed at how much more feel and stopping power just the tires alone provided. When I finally switched my pads in I group, I was AMAZED at how much more feel and communication I had with the front under braking compared to the stock pads. . .I honestly don't know if one is better than the other but I liked being able to tell (and push) the new found advantages of each component and don't know if I would have jumped as far as the combination of the two would let me if I had not (accidentally) put them on separately.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You can run an A group pace on any bone stock sport bike out there made from '05-ish and up with nothing but a set of Q3's on it. You're not going to be breaking lap records, but it's far from impossible. "A" group is about not coasting, holding a consistent line, and being able to execute clean passes. Everything else is just icing on the cake. As most will say, the learning just begins when you get into "A" group - And that's where the upgraded traction from slicks/ after market suspension/etc really starts to shine.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
You get faster by using LESS brakes, not more. Not to mention how much more expensive the XXs are. I switched from XXs to reg RJL because I was slowing down too quickly on corner entry. But YMMV.

Oh and the XX are more expensive because they're thicker and last forever. They're marketed as an endurance pad.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I'm running the standard rjl's. They have great feel with the brembo mc. I've yet to think I needed more. I think you would do better with the brembo

borislav

Control Rider
Why everybody want to spend shit load of money on GO FAST parts and then they want to save money on stuff that will HELP YOU STOP FASTER!!!???
Which one is more important!?

This sport requires constant thinking and adjustments that will HELP YOU improve your game so if you can afford all the stuff that you think will help you get there what is there to think about it!?

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I did it not to save money but to get used to the brembo mc first. I was already ruining the rjl's and didn't want to change 2 things at once and have found it works for me. I may but the super rjl's the next time, but I have never thought I needed more brakes as its quite easy to have the rear lift if I'm not careful.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I happened to ride another person's bike at Summit Main two years ago. He had a GSXR 600 with stock rotors, Brembo RCS, Vesrah SRJL XX pads and Goodridge -1 lines. The stopping power was incredible. I already had steel lines and Braking Wave rotors. I went home and bought the Brembo RCS master and SRJL XX pads immediately. I can't tell you how much a difference adding those two pieces improved the braking of my bike. All I can say is "Holy shit!" this thing now rocks. I still have the same original pads in the bike and they still look great. They work incredibly well and they last forever. Yes, they are more expensive up front, but they are actually cheaper in the long run because of their wear characteristics. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

borislav

Control Rider
People don't be afraid to change two or three things at same time (if you can) in this case tires,pads,master cyl. That's why you have those morning sessions to get the feel and get accustomed with characteristics of your new parts. After that you go an utilize benefits of those parts to improve your game.
I personaly changed many things on my
Suzuki and every change was positive which helped me to be a rider that I'm today + priceless help from CR'S.
Lee only you can make decision on this and is it worth to you,everything else are only opinions!!!
Cheers brother.

ekraft84

I ran the RJL and the XX's this past weekend at Road Atlanta. I prefer the standard RJL's. Price not factoring into it, the XX's brake almost too well. They could stop a train, but I can brake longer, to the apex easier and have that extra feel with the standard RJL's. Once adjusted to the XX's, they are really good and bite super hard. My personal preference is the standard RJL which is a great pad - and better than anything else I've tried out there recently.

YRMV.

Dave561

Control Rider
Personally I prefer the RJL pads myself as well.

I also prefer the one at a time improvement to fully understand what each change provides me. That way I know where my best value comes from.

Dave561

Control Rider
As an example, when I started I showed up on a stock 600. Rode in B got bumped to I. On a hot day going into one, soft lever. So I added SS lines. Problem solved.
Next problem spinning the rear, changed to DOT race.
Bottom the forks, added heavier springs
Found a good deal on a shock added that, gave me better drive and better tire wear.

Point is with each change I had a good idea o f the improvement gained

motorkas

As an example, when I started I showed up on a stock 600. Rode in B got bumped to I. On a hot day going into one, soft lever. So I added SS lines. Problem solved.
Next problem spinning the rear, changed to DOT race.
Bottom the forks, added heavier springs
Found a good deal on a shock added that, gave me better drive and better tire wear.

Point is with each change I had a good idea o f the improvement gained

I'm in this camp. . .Lee, for comparison sakes, it's been well documented that my brother was consistently 2 seconds faster than I last year (I was fully modified and he was bone stock on the same bikes - except for slicks). When we finally got to the pace where suspension really matters, I started to be 2 seconds faster than him (he was dragging hard parts and bottoming out his forks). He upgraded his suspension, brake pads and switched to GP shift and now he's consistently 2 seconds faster than me again. I did my suspension first, got use to it, then my tires, got use to it, brake pads, got use to it and for the upcoming weekend I've added a new chain and gearing, and will now again get use to it (as Dave wrote, it's easier (for us) to tell the benefits when your coming up and have a good idea of what each new part does). My brother on the other had, switched out his suspension, brakes, and standard shift all at once and he could tell the benefits instantly of all three. . .braking feel is so personal, as you've seen just in this thread, some people think you can have too much, others not (I'm pretty sure if we didn't run CL 60's, my brother would be in the XX camp and I'd be in the RJL camp based on our braking styles).

I got a question for everyone else in the thread and new posters on the subject - how much do you weigh? I know for a fact there's about 100lb difference between Jim and Bo and I can see how Jim would like having the extra stopping power on the brakes given he's trying to stop 100 more pound (Jim, you know how that's meant:). Curious if the others who felt the XX's had too much power were in light/normal weight (and height - just for you Jim:) ranges. Bo's just a crazy Central European so he's automatically an outlier. . .;)