Vesrah Pads......

borislav

Control Rider
You see Dave you were trying to solve the problems and in that case YES one thing at the time!
Lee DOES NOT have a problem he just want to improve his brakes!
I totaly agree that RJL pads are awesome but srjl-xx are better imho.
There are many much faster guys than me out there that will agree and disagree but in the end it is personal preference and what you fell it works for you.

noupf

You see Dave you were trying to solve the problems and in that case YES one thing at the time!
Lee DOES NOT have a problem he just want to improve his brakes!
I totaly agree that RJL pads are awesome but srjl-xx are better imho.
There are many much faster guys than me out there that will agree and disagree but in the end it is personal preference and what you fell it works for you.

Yes, Bo is spot on here. I am not trying to correct a problem, I just feel that when i grab a shit ton of brake, i could use some more. I'm carrying higher speeds, deeper into the ends of straights and i think i may need more braking power. I'm 6'4, 225 lbs, the bike has stock brake components besides the steel lines and the RJL's. I have ohlins internals in the front forks and a ohlins in the rear. So, for my level of riding ( high I at this point ) i am set up pretty good and its all dialed in. I'm just wondering if better pads will help my big ass on this tiny bike brake harder in a shorter amount of time, meaning i can carry more speed.

Sorry if i wasnt clear. Perhaps its the 225 lbs that i'm carting around that makes me feel like i could use a little more stopping power.....

Also, i just purchased my first set of Race tires....Power cups. Perhaps ill start out on those and see what race tires have to offer in terms of stiffer side walls and all that jazz. Then maybe i'll dabble with the brakes. Dont get me wrong, the current set up isnt bad, theres just times where I am carrying a lot of speed and i feel like i need to let off a hair earlier than i'd like because i feel like i have to brake too hard otherwise. Maybe the XX's would be too much.....maybe with my big ass, its just what i need.

Last edited:

noupf

I did it not to save money but to get used to the brembo mc first. I was already ruining the rjl's and didn't want to change 2 things at once and have found it works for me. I may but the super rjl's the next time, but I have never thought I needed more brakes as its quite easy to have the rear lift if I'm not careful.

so the brembo made the difference, not the pads is what you are saying. I dont think i could get the back tire up unless i was in 90%+ grab.

USMC_10

Anyone have experience with Carbone Lorraine C59 pads? I've been running those for 2 years and am considering trying out the XXs. C59s are great pads so I hate to change what's working, but like everyone else...any help I can get from my machine..I'll gladly take it!

Always appreciate everyone's insights...

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Yes, Bo is spot on here. I am not trying to correct a problem, I just feel that when i grab a shit ton of brake, i could use some more. I'm carrying higher speeds, deeper into the ends of straights and i think i may need more braking power. I'm 6'4, 225 lbs, the bike has stock brake components besides the steel lines and the RJL's. I have ohlins internals in the front forks and a ohlins in the rear. So, for my level of riding ( high I at this point ) i am set up pretty good and its all dialed in. I'm just wondering if better pads will help my big ass on this tiny bike brake harder in a shorter amount of time, meaning i can carry more speed.

Sorry if i wasnt clear. Perhaps its the 225 lbs that i'm carting around that makes me feel like i could use a little more stopping power.....

Also, i just purchased my first set of Race tires....Power cups. Perhaps ill start out on those and see what race tires have to offer in terms of stiffer side walls and all that jazz. Then maybe i'll dabble with the brakes. Dont get me wrong, the current set up isnt bad, theres just times where I am carrying a lot of speed and i feel like i need to let off a hair earlier than i'd like because i feel like i have to brake too hard otherwise. Maybe the XX's would be too much.....maybe with my big ass, its just what i need.

I have no idea on your pace and how you ride, but you're only 25 pounds heavier than me. Granted, an extra 25 pounds at 150 MPH trying to slow down is a lot more noticeable, but the OEM system should still handle it just fine. I'm not saying you're having the same problem, but when I was in "I" group, I thought my brakes were never good enough. Long story short, I was going into the turns fast, but I was still carrying low "I"/fast "B" group speed through the corner. I didn't need better brakes at all. I just needed to go through the corner faster.

One last thing - what kinda levers are you running? If they are not OEM, ditch them and get OEM levers. I JUST experienced this at Road Atlanta. Not a whole lot of confidence in the brakes, mushy lever. Bled the brakes a ton. Did nothing. With a friends suggestion, I put on my OEM lever I kept as a spare and it was night and day difference. Chinese made levers aren't real exact in their tolerances. Sounds really stupid, but it's definitely worth trying if you don't have stock levers on your bike.

Dave561

Control Rider
I catch liter bikes on the brakes now with a shitty stock oem master and two piston calipers on a SV650. Granted I do have Vesrah RJL pads, but perception is not always reality and sometimes better application is better than spending money.

prplppleatr239

Anyone have experience with Carbone Lorraine C59 pads? I've been running those for 2 years and am considering trying out the XXs. C59s are great pads so I hate to change what's working, but like everyone else...any help I can get from my machine..I'll gladly take it!

Always appreciate everyone's insights...

I've been running them the past 2 yrs as well.

The brake system is one of the few things that I've changed on my bike (06 ZX10), although it came with notoriously terrible brakes from the factory. OEM everything was scary after about 3 laps, even at B pace. Adding stainless lines and Vesrah RJLs seemed to help, but they still faded pretty badly by the end of a session. Then I switched the calipers out from the stock Tokicos to a set of Nissins from an 08 ZX6, which made a world of difference. I now use the C59 pads, along with RBF600 brake fluid. I also use one of the MityVac pump thingies to bleed them, which is super easy and definitely helps.

With my current system, it takes about 2 laps for everything to warm up, but after that they're consistent for the remainder of the session. No problems with lifting the back wheel if you're not careful. They're cheaper than the RJL-XXs as well at ~$140 vs ~$200 for a set.

motorkas

I catch liter bikes on the brakes now with a shitty stock oem master and two piston calipers on a SV650. Granted I do have Vesrah RJL pads, but perception is not always reality and sometimes better application is better than spending money.

He's not exaggerating. . .sad to say I've been a victim of it. . .more than once. . .

Then again, I've also given him a rear slick that I ran for 5 days, lost confidence in because I swore it was almost done. . .that he ran for another 6-7 days on his R6. . .My purchase habits for this sport are pretty simple, if I think it will give me more confidence. . .I buy it. If I was 225, I'd get the pads just so I could stop worrying about it, have the confidence that the brakes are always going to be there when I need it, and then start focusing on them less because I'm no longer worrying about them. . .such is the nature of testosterone. . .I accept it. . .:)

BTW Lee, I have a Dunlop take off front slick if you want to give it a try at the next day. . .has 6 days on it (4 10-12 min sessions each day). . .nowhere NEAR done. . .and since you're use to Q2's, the transition will be really easy (as to the above, I usually change my front with my rear - just so I'm not worrying about the front - which gives me the confidence to push it more. . .).

Dave561

Control Rider
You are going to go through a lot of front tires with that strategy. But, to each his own!

Yep. I'm going to padlock your front wheel and make you use your tires more. :D

I should have only taught you how to change the rears out. Hahaha

I have no idea on your pace and how you ride, but you're only 25 pounds heavier than me. Granted, an extra 25 pounds at 150 MPH trying to slow down is a lot more noticeable, but the OEM system should still handle it just fine. I'm not saying you're having the same problem, but when I was in "I" group, I thought my brakes were never good enough. Long story short, I was going into the turns fast, but I was still carrying low "I"/fast "B" group speed through the corner. I didn't need better brakes at all. I just needed to go through the corner faster.

One last thing - what kinda levers are you running? If they are not OEM, ditch them and get OEM levers. I JUST experienced this at Road Atlanta. Not a whole lot of confidence in the brakes, mushy lever. Bled the brakes a ton. Did nothing. With a friends suggestion, I put on my OEM lever I kept as a spare and it was night and day difference. Chinese made levers aren't real exact in their tolerances. Sounds really stupid, but it's definitely worth trying if you don't have stock levers on your bike.

I totally agree on the OEM brakes when it comes to the R6 . I rode a stock R6 at YCRS and the brakes were amazing. My 2011 GSXR 750 is a different story. When I got to mid "I" pack speed and tried to slow down and it became more difficult every time out so I started asking about brakes and a few people said you need better. Well I went with a Brembo MC SS lines and RJL's and wow did it stop and stop good. Just to be clear I am 315lbs with gear on and would like to think that it has to make a difference that I'm a gret big fat guy !

motorkas

You are going to go through a lot of front tires with that strategy. But, to each his own!

Yep, it's totally irrational and not based on any empirical evidence what so ever, but when the pace got to the point where my bars twitch at triple digits, it makes me feel better. . .:)

"Yep. I'm going to padlock your front wheel and make you use your tires more. :D

I should have only taught you how to change the rears out. Hahaha"

You're one of the major reasons the bars started twitching in the first place so really, you're partially to blame. . .:)

Kwick

Control Rider
As an example, when I started I showed up on a stock 600. Rode in B got bumped to I. On a hot day going into one, soft lever. So I added SS lines. Problem solved....

I am going to have to +++1 the SS lines. From a personal experience that I had, I would suggest that anyone that tries track day riding, likes it and plans to continue doing so should add SS lines BEFORE they actually need them to go fast. I noticed "soft lever" as I got more and more comfortable with heavy braking. Unfortunately, my comfort level elevated very quickly in one particular track day weekend and I went from "soft lever" to "lever to bar!!!" after really hard braking going into turn one at thunderbolt. It resulted in an offtrack excursion the next time I wanted braking at turn 4. Bike stayed upright and everything, so all was good.

I was lucky enough to have a vendor at the track with the SS lines I needed for my bike, but had he not been there, the second day of the weekend would have been less fun as I would not have been able to push. not to mention that it simply sucks to loose functioning brakes Lol :eek::D

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I bet those brakes are SCREAMING for mercy:D!