VIR Dates ?????????????????????

JRA

Here is how track days are scheduled.

We tell tracks what our preferences and preferred dates are. For instance, we really don't want Barber in late winter, we want it in the spring. Or we'd like to a have weekend date on North that is in the spring or fall.

We see what dates we are offered by all of the tracks

We look for any conflicts and then make a decision on what to do based on past history.

We try to book the dates that make the most sense based on the above.

This isn't necessarily about scaling back one venue vs. another, it's about a schedule that includes events at Barber, NC Bike, and Road Atlanta too. We can't be a VIR based organization, and if something offered by VIR conflicts with something offered by another track then we have to choose.

There is always a good chance we can add additional dates at VIR. Based on past history of VIR calling NESBA and asking us to take the dates of other organizations who are cancelling I have no doubt that is likely to happen again. Also, for reasons known only to them, they have a history of shuffling their bookings around and then asking us to take a weekend that has opened up. One thing that is certain is that nothing is ever certain. Cryptic yes, but I'll just leave it at that. It is just February 2nd after all. In the past this schedule wouldn't even be out yet, but because of so many people getting so upset about knowing what the schedule is going to be, public pressure forces things to become public too early, and often that means events get added as the start to the season approaches.

Almost all of you guys are too new to remember the good old days when trackdays were like a filed of dreams. All NESBA had to do was book an event, any event, and large numbers of people would show up. Well those days are long gone. The number of people participating in trackdays has shrunk significantly due to the economic conditions. It isn't just NESBA either, it's across the board, and it obviously includes racing as well.

As mentioned above, last year we tried a different tact to attract new riders. We had aggressive pricing, great packages, and plenty of dates. From what I could see that didn't translate into any measurable increase in attendance. It's hard to know for sure because it was such a wet year. What I could see is that many people just don't care about elite memberships, package deals, or crazy pricing. Yes, we had quite a few who took advantage, but the majority of riders are still made up of basic membership and non membership riders.

We also literally had hundreds of cancellations because of the possibility of rain. Yes, I say because of the possibility of rain. In the South we only had maybe three wet days out of close to forty trackdays. We had dozens of people cancelling out of every weekend because there was a 50% chance that it would rain. Some would cancel the morning of the event, only to sit in the paddock and watch everyone else ride on a perfectly dry track. It really got to the point where it was ridiculous. We had one three day weekend event where it only rained one day (and actually didn't rain all day on the wet day), but we had over fifty riders cancel out of the weekend. Not just for one day, they cancelled completely and didn't make the trip. The we had others that made the trip and canceled one or more days at the track. The track doesn't give NESBA a break if it rains, just so you know. Every cancellation goes into the system as a credit and it affects revenue at a future event because credits are used and not money. Think about how fifty cancellations that cover two, or possibly three days could affect future revenue.

When I started riding with NESBA over ten years ago, you either rode or you didn't, the choice was up to the rider, but there was no credit given if you sat it out. The ability to cancel is a nice perk, but based on how significantly the cancellation policy hurt us last year I think policy needs to be revisited in the future. Its tough to take something away that people like, but at some point tough choices have to be made assuming everyone agrees that having trackdays offered by NESBA is a good thing, and they would like for NESBA to be here in another ten years.

The bottom line is we'll do what we can to enhance the schedule and base those decisions on what makes sense for the organization. As members, you'll make you own decisions as to what works for you, that's what almost everyone does anyway. I hope that everyone who values NESBA and the quality of our events, will support the organization as often as possible, and that even though this schedule might not be what works best personally for you, you'll understand we are trying to navigate through a difficult economic period, and hopefully you'll do what you can to help us do that.

motorkas

RADAR Magnet;299404 wrote: Moto, when a popular venue gets scaled way back like VIR has, it's normal for people to wonder why. Having a bit of background makes it easier to accept, and additionally, knowing how likely it is that more dates will be added makes it a little easier for some to buy a package. It's also normal for those involved in the decision to anticipate that people will be curious and speak to it...
Get it, totally do, and once again, everything I express(ed) is my opinion. With VIR, the draw is undeniable, my brother and I have it on our schedule as a mini pilgrimage of sorts because of what it is. What I don't agree with is the underlying assumption that Bob and Nesba are "losing credibility" and the apparent lack of "looking in the mirror " that we as members are committing when making those assumptions.

For me, credibility has, and always will be, based upon actions, not words (typed or spoken). Bob and NESBA don't have a credibility issue with me concerning pricing, scheduling, or putting my interests first because last year they didn't just say they were going to do it, they did it. Conversely, we as members say that if only you provide us with X, we'll do Y, and then when it's done for us, Y is not done. . .to me, that's pointing fingers in the wrong direction (about scheduling, pricing and putting our interests first - obviously VIR justifies more dates but I think it's naive to think that's there's not going to be collateral damage). Now, if after last season's schedule and pricing - attendance blew the roof off of the vast majority of events (and there were no cancellations because everybody was gorging on the abundance of track time. . .and then we got the schedule and pricing that we did this year. . .that to me would be Bob and NESBA totally shitting the bed on their credibility. But that's not the way it went down.

To me, the packages presented us with our opportunity to get OUR credibility back. The 1500.00 or 2000.00 dollar commitment is exactly that - our commitment. . .up front, known, quantifiable, and something that we'll have to work to honor - just as commitments should be (I personally went with the latter because instead of 99.00 Mondays, I want 99.00 everyday and I will get my 20 days in. . .granted I have no kids and am wrapping up a divorce so I have time on my hands:D. . . but if I did have kids and a wife - I'd be all over the 1500.00 10 day because it's still less expensive than all the other orgs. . .). I'm fairly confident that if a poll was conducted of all those that committed to those packages, the percentages would be very low for those who just had 1500-2000 lying around that couldn't be repurposed for something else.

Professionally, I make my living on the sales and marketing side of things. If a sales force says "hey, you need to give us X so we can do Y" and then you say OK - give it to them, and they don't do Y. . .that field force just lost part of their credibility. . .and their ability to be taken completely seriously the next time they say "hey if you give us X. . .". Same goes with clients, customers, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, children, pastors, rabbis, elected officials. . .ect, ect, ect. If a friend, customer, spouse, significant other, even a child says "Hey, I need you to do X so I can do Y" and then you do X and they give you excuses for why they couldn't do Y. . .
However, the guys and girls who find a way to way to do it. . .whether its colleagues, clients, customers, wives, husbands, girfirends. . .when they ask for X. . .they still get Y (like packages that can give you 99.00 TD's).

Once again, totally agree with you that VIR should have more weekend dates as a result of attendance last year. I don't agree with the assumption that it's Bob and NESBA not doing their responsibilites that caused that (based upon what is known about track rentals at VIR for the 2014 season and what they did for us for the entire 2013 season).

Once again, just my opinion, and since it is an opinion, I do not assume that it is correct or will work for everyone. . .

motorkas

JRA;299409 wrote: Here is how track days are scheduled.

We tell tracks what our preferences and preferred dates are. For instance, we really don't want Barber in late winter, we want it in the spring. Or we'd like to a have weekend date on North that is in the spring or fall.

We see what dates we are offered by all of the tracks

We look for any conflicts and then make a decision on what to do based on past history.

We try to book the dates that make the most sense based on the above.

This isn't necessarily about scaling back one venue vs. another, it's about a schedule that includes events at Barber, NC Bike, and Road Atlanta too. We can't be a VIR based organization, and if something offered by VIR conflicts with something offered by another track then we have to choose.

There is always a good chance we can add additional dates at VIR. Based on past history of VIR calling NESBA and asking us to take the dates of other organizations who are cancelling I have no doubt that is likely to happen again. Also, for reasons known only to them, they have a history of shuffling their bookings around and then asking us to take a weekend that has opened up. One thing that is certain is that nothing is ever certain. Cryptic yes, but I'll just leave it at that. It is just February 2nd after all. In the past this schedule wouldn't even be out yet, but because of so many people getting so upset about knowing what the schedule is going to be, public pressure forces things to become public too early, and often that means events get added as the start to the season approaches.

Almost all of you guys are too new to remember the good old days when trackdays were like a filed of dreams. All NESBA had to do was book an event, any event, and large numbers of people would show up. Well those days are long gone. The number of people participating in trackdays has shrunk significantly due to the economic conditions. It isn't just NESBA either, it's across the board, and it obviously includes racing as well.

As mentioned above, last year we tried a different tact to attract new riders. We had aggressive pricing, great packages, and plenty of dates. From what I could see that didn't translate into any measurable increase in attendance. It's hard to know for sure because it was such a wet year. What I could see is that many people just don't care about elite memberships, package deals, or crazy pricing. Yes, we had quite a few who took advantage, but the majority of riders are still made up of basic membership and non membership riders.

We also literally had hundreds of cancellations because of the possibility of rain. Yes, I say because of the possibility of rain. In the South we only had maybe three wet days out of close to forty trackdays. We had dozens of people cancelling out of every weekend because there was a 50% chance that it would rain. Some would cancel the morning of the event, only to sit in the paddock and watch everyone else ride on a perfectly dry track. It really got to the point where it was ridiculous. We had one three day weekend event where it only rained one day (and actually didn't rain all day on the wet day), but we had over fifty riders cancel out of the weekend. Not just for one day, they cancelled completely and didn't make the trip. The we had others that made the trip and canceled one or more days at the track. The track doesn't give NESBA a break if it rains, just so you know. Every cancellation goes into the system as a credit and it affects revenue at a future event because credits are used and not money. Think about how fifty cancellations that cover two, or possibly three days could affect future revenue.

When I started riding with NESBA over ten years ago, you either rode or you didn't, the choice was up to the rider, but there was no credit given if you sat it out. The ability to cancel is a nice perk, but based on how significantly the cancellation policy hurt us last year I think policy needs to be revisited in the future. Its tough to take something away that people like, but at some point tough choices have to be made assuming everyone agrees that having trackdays offered by NESBA is a good thing, and they would like for NESBA to be here in another ten years.

The bottom line is we'll do what we can to enhance the schedule and base those decisions on what makes sense for the organization. As members, you'll make you own decisions as to what works for you, that's what almost everyone does anyway. I hope that everyone who values NESBA and the quality of our events, will support the organization as often as possible, and that even though this schedule might not be what works best personally for you, you'll understand we are trying to navigate through a difficult economic period, and you'll do what you can to help us do that.
Posted my above post before I saw this - excellent post John! Looking forward to getting passed by you like I'm riding a 50 Zuma again this year. . .:D

Mike55

I just want to chime in and thank Bob and NESBA for doing the best they can, especially since everyone is basically running a business VOLUNTARILY. The schedule isn't necessarily the best for me all of the time, but I'm not the only member and I'm not paying $2000 for one track school weekend either so I'll make it work. The climate and organization both on the track and in the paddock are well worth it. Thanks again guys!!!

And now back to the regularly scheduled bitching :D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

RADAR Magnet

motorkas;299412 wrote: Get it, totally do, and once again, everything I express(ed) is my opinion. With VIR, the draw is undeniable, my brother and I have it on our schedule as a mini pilgrimage of sorts because of what it is. What I don't agree with is the underlying assumption that Bob and Nesba are "losing credibility" and the apparent lack of "looking in the mirror " that we as members are committing when making those assumptions.
Just to be clear, I've been interested in understanding what happened with VIR this year; not going down a credibility or pricing path on this. John has jumped in and given us a lot of good perspective. Hopefully VIR stays true to the past and calls us with some additional dates. Hopefully cancellations calm down too so we can avoid having to revisit that policy.

Anyway, from my perspective it feels like this horse has been beat to death. I want to get on with buying a package and prepping my bike!

Mike55

I guess I don't see how John's post was so enlightening, although it was very much appreciated. How else would someone assume they put together the schedule though? It seems like common sense to me and he shouldn't have to explain it. They can't only cater to people who live near one track and they can't afford to run at every track every week. What do people think they do then, put the names of the tracks in a hat then sit down in January and draw one for every day they want to run? Talk about beating an obviously dead horse. Wow...

Kruizen

Control Rider
So they tried drawing people in with more dates and lower rates last year, and by what JRA said it bit them in the ass with people canceling because of rain or the possibility of rain. So instead of changing the elite cancelation policy they decreased the total number of days available this year and majorly increased the prices this year for elite pricing.

This is what I took away from JRA's post, but that's just my perspective.

Mike55

I took away that NESBA wants to accommodate everyone and give them the opportunity to cancel if they're not comfortable on a wet track and/or can't afford to replace their bike if it causes them to crash. I know that's just part of it and we should all be good enough to ride anyway, but everyone calculates risks differently based in their situation. In order to offer that flexibility they've realized that they need to offset the strain of it on the bottom line. This appears to be an evolving effort and it might take a couple seasons of trial and error to come up with the best formula. Nobody can please all of the people all of the time. That means that at some point we're all going to be not pleased by someone just like we won't please them. I say be patient, find a way to make it work for you, then enjoy and be thankful for every chance you get :)

JRA

Kruizen;299433 wrote: So they tried drawing people in with more dates and lower rates last year, and by what JRA said it bit them in the ass with people canceling because of rain or the possibility of rain. So instead of changing the elite cancelation policy they decreased the total number of days available this year and majorly increased the prices this year for elite pricing.

This is what I took away from JRA's post, but that's just my perspective.
Nope, what we did was try a marketing approach that was focused on price, and circumstances beyond our control made it impossible to tell if that approach will work in practice. Theoretically it will work if the numbers are there. As it stands we just can't afford to try it again this year so we went back to the way things were in 2012. Elite prices are similar and benefits are the same as 2012. VIR is the same price across the board as it was two years ago. No wait, it has increased $4 per day. Road Atlanta and Barber have both increased because costs have risen there, and all organizations have had to raise their prices. As for cutting days, well that's been covered.

komodo_goods

John all this is fine and well but if you guys don't call us back how can you expect to sell season packages? I know three guys including myself waitning on a call back. Were literally waiting to give you $6,000 and can't even get a call back. This is after being told TWICE by on the the staff they would call. So I need to ask the question publically since I can't get a call back, what the heck is going on? Do you want our money or not?

moto1320

I bought the package. I showed up in the rain. I'll do it again. What I need is for the schedule to have as many VIR dates as the package contains. Or, if only 8 VIR days is what we have to work with, can you guys offer the 8 day package again? If more than 8 open up, I can buy them. I fear losing money more than spending additional bucks later. Many of us can only ride local and even though NESBA can't be VIR based, there are a lot of riders that only really make it to that track. Despite all of VIR's add-on BS there are a ton of SE riders that can make it there without needing a hotel room and burning 300.00 bucks in gas/diesel...it is the most affordable track to ride for many of us when you factor the exhorbatant cost of getting to the track these days.

I hope to ride with you guys everywhere I can when I'm done with my obligations in a couple of years, but as it sits now I am not able to travel that far to ride. This is my .02, I can say this represents myself and my friends. I know everyone can't have it their way, but I'm hoping NESBA wants feedback on their members needs as they try to find a financially viable middle ground. What is likely to happen is that riders will split their days up between different organizations that are using the track that they want before adding several thousand dollars a year in travel and lodging to their budget just to limit themselves to NESBA's availabilities. Also, thanks for explaining a little more John. It's hard to feel invested and like this is YOUR organization when the information is thin with responses cryptic. I'll keep my eyes peeled for good news and participate in as much as I can however it goes.Though, I was hoping to do more days this year, not less.

fitz

JRA;299409 wrote:

Hi John,

This is 100% correct from a certain perspective. On paper this is how it appears but there is so much more going on than a cancelation equaling less attendance, I’m sure for a certain percentage this might be true but I believe for the majority this isn’t EXACTLY what’s going on.

First because of the structure of elite membership I think most are signing up for a lot more days than they anticipate going to. So they sign up for a weekend in the hopes of going but any sign of rain they bail and attend the next track day but are still going to the same amount of track days just with more shuffling of their track days with signing up and canceling. It’s not necessarily money lost but just money moved.

Second, for me and others I know ended up attending a lot more track days with the elite membership. Think of it like when you buy an item from a store that takes returns, you buy it thinking if you don’t like it you’ll just return it, but 99% of the time you don’t. Successful retail stores know this.

Third, with the + $175 cost over basic, the Elite membership adds +1 track day in NESBA’s pocket without having the expense of renting a track. (Attending more than 12 for the Elite is obviously still a win for NESBA :))

And finally with the Elite membership you lock in those people that will try to attend only NESBA events to get the full benefit from their membership = more attendance.

From my perspective elite membership = win for me and NESBA. :cool:

devildogae

So last year was my first track day experience, started in May. I found out that NESBA members were proud to ride with NESBA, that they are safe and highly trained. The camaraderie is unparalleled to anything I've seen since my military days. The prices also attracted me to NESBA, since im just building a life with a new job, wife, etc... I don't have 2K to throw down ATM, but I knew I would be attending many more events. I bought the elite membership with the expectations it would cut my costs, and I could make even more events. I'm not going to go into detail about the additional expenses life has popped on me recently, but that with increased costs + less options for days I can attend, the formula = less track days for me! The opposite of what I expected to do this year. BtTW I'm one of those new members you attracted and I never cancelled any days, I showed up for every day I bought and even rode in the rain :). And I have three new people who want to ride with me, but for them they are in the same boat. We will ride with NESBA this year, I just hope all 4 of us can ride more than not...

CBRtist

JRA;299441 wrote: Nope, what we did was try a marketing approach that was focused on price, and circumstances beyond our control made it impossible to tell if that approach will work in practice. Theoretically it will work if the numbers are there. As it stands we just can't afford to try it again this year so we went back to the way things were in 2012.
While difficult to see if it would work in practice (obviously), cutting prices to compete or match a competitor (while believed to be the easy, short term solution), *usually* does not have long term results. What has long term results is VALUE.

Value is the difference between filet mignon and hamburger. People are willing to come for filet and pay for it, as long as the value and service is there.

If one maintains value, customer service, and integrity of product... that is formula that rises to the top. ;)

So it can not be undone, but perhaps now concentrating on value to justify reverting back to original pricing can :dunno:

shad0ws

I like many of you, am in the same boat. This years schedule has really disappointed me and has forced me to check with other organizations. During the summer, I normally don't get alot of free time from my job but when I do, I make sure it's at the track. I went to 8 Nesba events last year I think and was hoping to increase that more this year but as it looks now, I will not be able to.

I do agree with variety in your schedule as far tracks go but I also feel that more focus should be put on your main tracks where you get the most attendance. By the looks of this board, I would say NJMP, Summit, and VIR. I do understand that we, forum members, don't represent everyone that rides with NESBA but there has to be a trend.

I'll just work my way through this season all while keeping my fingers crossed for more dates to be added. Hope things are better next year.

Kruizen

Control Rider
[QUOTEV=CBRtist;299494]value is the difference between filet mignon and hamburger. People are willing to come for filet and pay for it, as long as the value and service is there.

If one maintains value, customer service, and integrity of product... that is formula that rises to the top. ;)

So it can not be undone, but perhaps now concentrating on value to justify reverting back to original pricing can :dunno:
Perceived value "The worth that a product or service has in the mind of the consumer. The consumer's perceived value of a good or service affects the price that he or she is willing to pay for it. For the most part, consumers are unaware of the true cost of production for the products they buy. Instead, they simply have an internal feeling for how much certain products are worth to them. Thus, in order to obtain a higher price for their products, producers may pursue marketing strategies to create a higher perceived value for their products"

Speaking on Value, the CR's have a lot of influence on the perceived value of the day. While I ride A, I hang out with a lot of B&I riders who voiced concerns regarding the lack of CR's at a number of events. Also I personally don't think that the Coleman days at Summit were a win for this organization(have voiced those concerns earlier). When you are hearing loud speaker calls that CR's are needed before they can let B out, then there are issues. Of the 12 days I did last year with NESBA, I think VIR was the only track that had a good ratio of CR's to riders.

One of the reasons I switched to NESBA a couple of years ago, was that the CR's in the lower groups of this organiation treated the lower riding groups as passing fodder, and didn't provide any instruction or assistance. Had heard great things about the way the NESBA CR's control the groups and provided instuction, and definitly saw that a couple of years ago.

With the fewer days this year, I hope that NESBA has a pluthera of CR's at EVERY event to make the experience a positive one that it needs to be.

Customer Service/communication is another reason that I made the switch, when I contacted the NESBA office, I had a call or email back typically the same day. We could expect a quick response on the forum with information/answer to the question from a NESBA rep. Now we have people trying to give them thousands of dollars and can't get a call back or return email or even a response on the forum.(I was lucky to catch Bob on one thread and got a response pretty quick-once my email actually made it to him) This does sound like a trasitional year and I really hope that the bugs get worked out of the system and NESBA returns to the organization it was a couple of years ago.

Teh_K

FWIW, I emailed Bob about the packages at the address he said (events@nesba.com), and got a reply within a day asking for a phone number to discuss details. We called each other, got it sorted out, and it was pretty easy and uneventful.

Maybe people are emailing some other nesba address? Replies getting lost in spam folders or something? :dunno:

komodo_goods

Teh_K;299539 wrote: FWIW, I emailed Bob about the packages at the address he said (events@nesba.com), and got a reply within a day asking for a phone number to discuss details. We called each other, got it sorted out, and it was pretty easy and uneventful.

Maybe people are emailing some other nesba address? Replies getting lost in spam folders or something? :dunno:
I'm pretty sure events@nesba.com and the username NESBA are the right addresses, especially if I've talked to Bob after contacting the above.

Let me state the facts as they apply to me.

1. I Called Bob last week (30Jan14) left message. Bob returned phone call, said its bad time and would call back at 6 PM.
2. Had friends, one (recovering from Hernia surgery 3 days earlier) drive to my house and wait for Bob to call.
3. 6:30 PM still no call from Bob.
4. PM'd Bob next day asking why no call, Bob states he got "swamped".
5. Bob then asks what would be a good time to call tomorrow (1Feb14)?.
6. I reply stating After 5 PM will work and that I will again have same Friends at house to also pay.
7. 5 PM comes and goes with no phone call, PM or E-mail.
8. Here we are today (4 days later) and still I have yet to receive a call, PM or E-mail.

So what would you do in this situation? Continue to wait by the phone to pay someone $6,000 that cant or won't return a phone call? We just want to ride at the track with NESBA how hard can this be???

joeyb

All I want to do is ride VIR SSN if it is going to be available. If nesba isn't going to offer ssn the first weekend in April, another org is riding there the weekend before. Can anyone tell us if there is still a chance that SSN is going to happen??? I would prefer to ride with nesba, I'm not even that concerned if its more expensive.

....never mind, just saw on vir's calendar that a car group is running vir s on April 5/6, no SSN in April this year :(

Nesba

komodo_goods;299543 wrote: I'm pretty sure events@nesba.com and the username NESBA are the right addresses, especially if I've talked to Bob after contacting the above.

Let me state the facts as they apply to me.

1. I Called Bob last week (30Jan14) left message. Bob returned phone call, said its bad time and would call back at 6 PM.
2. Had friends, one (recovering from Hernia surgery 3 days earlier) drive to my house and wait for Bob to call.
3. 6:30 PM still no call from Bob.
4. PM'd Bob next day asking why no call, Bob states he got "swamped".
5. Bob then asks what would be a good time to call tomorrow (1Feb14)?.
6. I reply stating After 5 PM will work and that I will again have same Friends at house to also pay.
7. 5 PM comes and goes with no phone call, PM or E-mail.
8. Here we are today (4 days later) and still I have yet to receive a call, PM or E-mail.

So what would you do in this situation? Continue to wait by the phone to pay someone $6,000 that cant or won't return a phone call? We just want to ride at the track with NESBA how hard can this be???
I did call you back a few times in fact.

Just an FYI i work full time a job that requires me to be focused while traveling, like this week ad last. I took vacation days for two days to try to accomplish taking care of everyone's needs. So i cant always answer the phone when you call during the day.

Did you get my message?