VIR Dates ?????????????????????

Unbroken13

One of my customers is a instructor for a couple of the car groups that run at vir. From what he says vir pulled some of there dates too.. Something about catering to the racers... NASCAR and such... He said its funny cause they don't pay for days like groups do... You would think that they need money to pay for all that asphalt... Lol

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Unbroken13;299956 wrote: One of my customers is a instructor for a couple of the car groups that run at vir. From what he says vir pulled some of there dates too.. Something about catering to the racers... NASCAR and such... He said its funny cause they don't pay for days like groups do... You would think that they need money to pay for all that asphalt... Lol
Each track/racing org has different ways of doing business with the track itself, so money comes in to VIR's hand in other ways than just the riders/racers alone.

Tuono1000R

JRA;299409 wrote:
We also literally had hundreds of cancellations because of the possibility of rain. Yes, I say because of the possibility of rain. In the South we only had maybe three wet days out of close to forty trackdays. We had dozens of people cancelling out of every weekend because there was a 50% chance that it would rain. Some would cancel the morning of the event, only to sit in the paddock and watch everyone else ride on a perfectly dry track. It really got to the point where it was ridiculous. We had one three day weekend event where it only rained one day (and actually didn't rain all day on the wet day), but we had over fifty riders cancel out of the weekend. Not just for one day, they cancelled completely and didn't make the trip.
I see that we have identified a significant issue here. But, we haven't talked about how to remedy the issue of cancellations. NO OTHER TRACKDAY ORG PROVIDES MEMBERS CANCELLATION WITH ZERO RAMIFICATIONS as is afforded NESBA Elite Members. I suggest to remedy this. Don't give SO MUCH freedom with absolutely no re-course.

If other orgs have strict regulations such as minimum # of days to cancel, an extra fee for event protection, and don't credit 100%, WHY IS NESBA TAKING THIS RISK?

Even though I rode 12 days w- NESBA last year, I still also took full advantage of the cancellation policy. I feel I took more advantage of the policy than I should have been afforded in one situation, as I was one of the fifty cancellations during the 3-day VIR event John referenced. I should not have been permitted to play that game.

We, as members, have to share the weather risk. NESBA, I don't see how scheduling fewer dates fixes what seems to be a big contributor to NESBA's attendance woes. TPM and STT didn't need to schedule fewer dates this year, yet NESBA did.

John Allen, Thank you for taking the time to help us understand. I appreciate the open and constructive communication.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Tuono, you make some good points. I, too, occasionally took advantage of the Elite cancellation policy. Kinda felt guilty doing it, knowing nesba still had to pay for the track regardless.

It's a nice perk, but, like the extremely low Elite prices last year (that understandably couldn't be sustained), I also wonder if the cancellation policy is off-set enough by the price x number of folks pay for Elite? I'd say no, as other orgs that don't allow it also have similarly priced memberships.

Just thinkin' out loud. I'd like to see nesba stay around.

JRA

As I said before I think that maybe this policy should be revisited in the future, but Bob has been doing this a lot longer than me so I'm sure he better understands the real cost to the organization than I do. We did have a more rain than usual last year though, and I saw first hand how it really affected things at the last minute. We've had this policy for a while, so it's nothing new, but last year it was REALLY used. Much like you guys I just have to wonder if that's sustainable if we were to have another wet year in 2014.

I completely understand using the policy you signed up for when it suits you. What kills me though is the guys who cancelled the morning of the event based on a chance of rain sometime during the day, only to sit in their pit and watch everyone else ride on a dry track all day, or 90% of the day. I mean you are there, why not ride? Bring a set of rains and find out what that's all about. It's actually fun. I know one thing, don't come to me later in the day and tell me how you wished you had not cancelled, I might have to hit you.:D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
A couple years ago I cancelled at the last minute in the morning at Summit waiting for the rain to stop and track to dry...holding out to ride, but it didn't seem like it was going to happen. So I gave in and cancelled.

By lunch it was dry. I was kicking myself for bagging the day like I had.

I apologized to Kubricky...and humbly begged him to let me back in. He advised me I'd have to pay full for the day to ride...which I had NO problem with. I wasn't expecting to get a pro-rated price or any other BS. I got four sessions in and had a freakin' blast.

D-Zum;300421 wrote: A couple years ago I cancelled at the last minute in the morning at Summit waiting for the rain to stop and track to dry...holding out to ride, but it didn't seem like it was going to happen. So I gave in and cancelled.

By lunch it was dry. I was kicking myself for bagging the day like I had.

I apologized to Kubricky...and humbly begged him to let me back in. He advised me I'd have to pay full for the day to ride...which I had NO problem with. I wasn't expecting to get a pro-rated price or any other BS. I got four sessions in and had a freakin' blast.
Isn't it past your bed time? :)

joeyb

JRA;300396 wrote: As I said before I think that maybe this policy should be revisited in the future, but Bob has been doing this a lot longer than me so I'm sure he better understands the real cost to the organization than I do. We did have a more rain than usual last year though, and I saw first hand how it really affected things at the last minute. We've had this policy for a while, so it's nothing new, but last year it was REALLY used. Much like you guys I just have to wonder if that's sustainable if we were to have another wet year in 2014.

I completely understand using the policy you signed up for when it suits you. What kills me though is the guys who cancelled the morning of the event based on a chance of rain sometime during the day, only to sit in their pit and watch everyone else ride on a dry track all day, or 90% of the day. I mean you are there, why not ride? Bring a set of rains and find out what that's all about. It's actually fun. I know one thing, don't come to me later in the day and tell me how you wished you had not cancelled, I might have to hit you.:D

I am one of the people that cancelled a few times last year due to the rain or wet track, people can call me a pussy if you want but these are my reasons why:

I don't have rain tires (I might buy some this year and then hopefully it won't rain again :D) I have ridden in the rain/wet on DOT tires and I was scared shitless, the bike was sliding all over the place and I had to putt around like a grandma so that doesn't = fun to me.

I wrecked at VIR N last year because I was rushing around in the morning, went out on a new rear tire on a cold morning and I didn't take the time to put my warmers on. I was trying to get out of the way of a couple of faster riders on my out lap and lowsided, my bike slid to the outside of the turn and took out one of the other riders. It ended up costing me a lot of $ to fix it but luckily I wasn't hurt and I did not want to take another chance to wreck again. The worst part is that I took out another rider and felt horrible about it since I could've easily avoided it by sitting out a session and putting my warmers on.

People say "you can learn so much in the rain/wet"
I say the only thing I will learn is how much it costs to fix my bike when
I wreck or how far I can slide in the mud.

It sucks if the bottom line was affected (I'm sure it was since nesba has to pay for the track either way) and this is why the schedule is so slim this year, but I think the elite policy saved me and a lot of other people headaches, money and kept me safe because who knows what would've happened if I went out to ride simply because I didn't want to lose the $ that I paid for the day. It sucked big balls listening to people ride on a damp track while sitting in my pit but I still feel like I made the right decision for me.

I appreciate your responses John, and I'm hoping you and Bob will leave the Elite cancellation policy the way it is and add about 30 more dates to the schedule to include VIR-SSN, Barber, and NJMP because we all want to have our cake and eat it too :roll eyes::adore::cheers:

moto1320

Tuono1000R;300308 wrote: Even though I rode 12 days w- NESBA last year, I still also took full advantage of the cancellation policy. I feel I took more advantage of the policy than I should have been afforded in one situation, as I was one of the fifty cancellations during the 3-day VIR event John referenced. I should not have been permitted to play that game.
This isn't the first time I have seen the people that took advantage of the latitude suggesting it be taken away. I kept my rain dates regardless and cancelled a couple of sunny dates last minute (that were sold out anyway) due to school obligations. NESBA didn't lose a nickel on me. If you see a problem with your actions, remedy them. Your theory insists that I am inconvenienced and financially impacted so that you can address a problem that you found in yourself and I don't have. Voluntarily relinquish your own right to cancel rain days if you are concerned before you get so cavalier with my money.:dunno: Maybe one of the reasons some of ride with NESBA is because they afford us this courtesy?

bmrboy

joeyb;300477 wrote: I am one of the people that cancelled a few times last year due to the rain or wet track, people can call me a pussy if you want but these are my reasons why:

I don't have rain tires (I might buy some this year and then hopefully it won't rain again :D) I have ridden in the rain/wet on DOT tires and I was scared shitless, the bike was sliding all over the place and I had to putt around like a grandma so that doesn't = fun to me.

I wrecked at VIR N last year because I was rushing around in the morning, went out on a new rear tire on a cold morning and I didn't take the time to put my warmers on. I was trying to get out of the way of a couple of faster riders on my out lap and lowsided, my bike slid to the outside of the turn and took out one of the other riders. It ended up costing me a lot of $ to fix it but luckily I wasn't hurt and I did not want to take another chance to wreck again. The worst part is that I took out another rider and felt horrible about it since I could've easily avoided it by sitting out a session and putting my warmers on.

People say "you can learn so much in the rain/wet"
I say the only thing I will learn is how much it costs to fix my bike when
I wreck or how far I can slide in the mud.

It sucks if the bottom line was affected (I'm sure it was since nesba has to pay for the track either way) and this is why the schedule is so slim this year, but I think the elite policy saved me and a lot of other people headaches, money and kept me safe because who knows what would've happened if I went out to ride simply because I didn't want to lose the $ that I paid for the day. It sucked big balls listening to people ride on a damp track while sitting in my pit but I still feel like I made the right decision for me.

I appreciate your responses John, and I'm hoping you and Bob will leave the Elite cancellation policy the way it is and add about 30 more dates to the schedule to include VIR-SSN, Barber, and NJMP because we all want to have our cake and eat it too :roll
eyes::adore::cheers:

:agree: 100 % with you Joey !!!! I'm another one that canceled at VIR S.S.N. weekend it rained every day ... I wanted to
ride so bad !!!!!! But riding in the rain sucks ... PERIOD !!!! I won't ride my street bikes in the rain & riding on the track is
not going to happen , your equipment gets soaked & ruined.. never mind if you fall off !!! I'm THE ONLY ONE THAT PUTS FOOD
ON THE TABLE & pays my bills ... If I get hurt & out of work for a few weeks or months I'm in deep DO DO ......

So call it or me what ever you want , but foolish & stupid are words that don't come to mind !!! :D

gblack

I'll add to the disappointed. I live in MD so anything less than 2 days just isn't worth the drive. The two north days in a row I did last year were by far the best track days that I've done and what made me start going to only NESBA events. There's no doubt there would be a better turnout with consecutive north days than just one.

wallacew

bmrboy;300482 wrote: :agree: 100 % with you Joey !!!! I'm another one that canceled at VIR S.S.N. weekend it rained every day ... I wanted to
ride so bad !!!!!! But riding in the rain sucks ... PERIOD !!!! I won't ride my street bikes in the rain & riding on the track is
not going to happen , your equipment gets soaked & ruined.. never mind if you fall off !!! I'm THE ONLY ONE THAT PUTS FOOD
ON THE TABLE & pays my bills ... If I get hurt & out of work for a few weeks or months I'm in deep DO DO ......

So call it or me what ever you want , but foolish & stupid are words that don't come to mind !!! :D
Mike, when you say rain ruins your equipment, are you talking about adult diapers? Because, Your leathers, bike, and stands will be fine. But, diapers do swell when wet.

I'm just checking for clarity ;)

bmrboy

wallacew;300775 wrote: Mike, when you say rain ruins your equipment, are you talking about adult diapers? Because, Your leathers, bike, and stands will be fine. But, diapers do swell when wet.

I'm just checking for clarity ;)
William ............... I think you know exactly what I'm talking about !!!!!!!!

You sound like your speaking from experience , :haha: about the adult diapers swelling when wet ...............:D

wallacew

bmrboy;300776 wrote: William ............... I think you know exactly what I'm talking about !!!!!!!!

You sound like your speaking from experience , :haha: about the adult diapers swelling when wet ...............:D
just trying to add some happiness to such a sad thread.

BTW, i just stop drinking water the night before, #dontneedthem