VIR Info

matt2212

Otto Man;284872 wrote: Guess we'll agree to disagree. Some charges are just BS.

Paying for electric: Electric isn't free, nor should tracks give out free electric. Legit fee.

Paying $15 for camping: Costs VIR zero additional resources for somebody to pull out a tent and sleep in the paddock. None whatsoever. BS fee.

Paying the RV/toy hauler fee: Toy haulers are self sustained, and besides paying for electric if need be - what else is my toy hauler (If I had one) doing that justifies a charge over someone that brings an enclosed trailer and stays at a hotel? Toy haulers even have their own shitters and showers...they can't even pull the facilities card.

The $25 a year pit bike fee for this year. Again...why? I called VIR about it and got no honest answer, other than the normal "It's policy" BS.

Some people plan very well the money it takes to go to track days. With tracks continuing to add these hemorrhaging fees, people are going to be forced to start doing less track days per year - if not quit altogether. So how much money are they going to be making then if the rider just doesn't show up period?

In my opinion you are right and wrong

The electric I totally understand

VIR got sued because some Jack A$$ on his pit bike crashed it into a security car :argh: now the increase in insurance is passed on to us, plus they make us sign a special "waver / application" when you pay the fee. Everyone pays for stupid.

They own the property and can do and charge what they want, and there is 24 hour security involved. If you don't agree I completely understand ( I think camping is a bit high for those of us just doing 1 day and about right for a 3 day weekend) so the choice we have is do you patronize the buisness... that you have to answer for yourself but I am Riding North! Every campground, even ones in national parks charge $$$ and we own the national parks.

I also agree that at some point people will stop going or go less often to VIR because of the fees That will hurt all of us. VIR won't rent the track as often, NESBA won't be able to rent it as often

And a quick note I Just called the security office and asked about enclosed trailer vs RV, the response I got was that if you had separate sleeping quarters It was considered an RV

Unbroken13

I love vir!!! Oh wait it's the only track I've run... But still I love vir!!!! I hope that there is atleast one a month next year !!!!

denbsteph

matt2212;284880 said:

VIR got sued because some Jack A$$ on his pit bike crashed it into a security car :argh: now the increase in insurance is passed on to us, plus they make us sign a special "waver / application" when you pay the fee. Everyone pays for stupid.

They own the property and can do and charge what they want, and there is 24 hour security involved. If you don't agree I completely understand ( I think camping is a bit high for those of us just doing 1 day and about right for a 3 day weekend) so the choice we have is do you patronize the buisness... that you have to answer for yourself but I am Riding North! Every campground, even ones in national parks charge $$$ and we own the national parks.

I also agree that at some point people will stop going or go less often to VIR because of the fees That will hurt all of us. VIR won't rent the track as often, NESBA won't be able to rent it as often

I believe people will go less and less to VIR as well because of fee's. I only know a small portion of the story about AMA not going to VIR anymore, with that loss they have to TRY and make it up some where. Even if it's passed on to little ole TD riders. Stupid is as stupid does....................

matt2212

denbsteph;284909 wrote:
matt2212;284880 said:

I believe people will go less and less to VIR as well because of fee's. I only know a small portion of the story about AMA not going to VIR anymore, with that loss they have to TRY and make it up some where. Even if it's passed on to little ole TD riders. Stupid is as stupid does....................
Let us remember how cheep the mid week pricing is so these fees can be split with your friends and still have a reasonable outing especially if you do all 3 days

But if like me you run up Sunday night solo for Monday it can add up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otto Man;284872 wrote: Guess we'll agree to disagree. Some charges are just BS.

Paying for electric: Electric isn't free, nor should tracks give out free electric. Legit fee. I strongly disagree. VIR charges $25. Dom Power charges about $110/1000 KW hours. This is what a typical house might use. There is no one and I mean no one in the paddock using anywhere near 227 KW hours. I computed if my RV pulled max power for 24 hours I would use around 60 KW hours or about $6.65. VIR's mark up? About 375%. Still think it's a legit fee? Of course the longer you stay the cheaper the costs. Anyone feel free to check my math. I'm tired and doing quick calculating. :asleep:

Paying $15 for camping: Costs VIR zero additional resources for somebody to pull out a tent and sleep in the paddock. None whatsoever. BS fee. Maybe

Paying the RV/toy hauler fee: Toy haulers are self sustained, and besides paying for electric if need be - what else is my toy hauler (If I had one) doing that justifies a charge over someone that brings an enclosed trailer and stays at a hotel? Toy haulers even have their own shitters and showers...they can't even pull the facilities card. I agree with you here bro. It's like Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion charging for parking. How many times have those lots been paid for?

The $25 a year pit bike fee for this year. Again...why? I called VIR about it and got no honest answer, other than the normal "It's policy" BS. Personally I'd like to see no pit bikes or dirt bikes. This has got to be the poorest supervised and enforced area at track events. Whats wrong with using your feet? Park closer. No I don't want to see someones "cool" pit bike or hear it at 11pm. I'd rather avoid seeing someone's child run over. And yes I have seen near misses

Some people plan very well the money it takes to go to track days. With tracks continuing to add these hemorrhaging fees, people are going to be forced to start doing less track days per year - if not quit altogether. So how much money are they going to be making then if the rider just doesn't show up period?

In the end it is VIR's ball. If we want to play then we have no choice but to play by their rules. Don't like it don't come. I'll say it again - what we do is not cheap. There are other less expensive activities. Track days too expensive? Then find one of those activities. I have a good income and still feel the need to work overtime to cover these expenses.

What I would be interested in is knowing VIR's profit margin. How far are they in the black? Maybe they need these "BS" charges to stay operational. Who knows. As of now I can't afford to build my own track. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. End of rant.

Blipstein

kyle m;284866 wrote: Please excuse Matt, hes been drinking again. Which is why he responded to your question about dates and times with a link to the pit bike he just purchased.
:haha:

And on topic: Yeah...paying more money sucks....but I'm gonna be honest, I love this sport, and VIR, so much that if they said that in order to use our facilities you must hop on one foot and bark like a dog ...that's exactly what you'd see me doing all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfLEoCMO3c

Kruizen

Control Rider
Vir charges those fees to cover all of the paddock police that drive around on their golf carts checking cord tags.

I do have to give those police props tho the first time I set up my trailer awning the wind grabbed it while I was on the track and 2 of them came over and saved it.

$50 to camp in a trailer and another $25 for power is why I will never do 1 day there, will only do 2 or 3 in a row to get the bang for the buck. I guess it's pay back for when I used to sleep in the easy up;)

Sig

Pretty simple really, don't want to pay the power fee bring a generator and pour $3.50/gallon gas in it all day/night......the $25 fee gets cheap real quick.

Food is cheaper at the grocery store than it is at the restaurant but it's pretty easy to justify going out to eat once and a while isn't it? ;)

Irish01

Speaking of food, don't forget Saturday evening is the Meet and Greet! Rain or shine the grills will be fired up and ALL donations go to the Air Fence Fund Raiser, specifically in needed areas at VIR! :)

shad0ws

Anybody happen to know if VIR allow you to camp the night before your event and how late the gates are open?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

kyle m

shad0ws;285011 wrote: Anybody happen to know if VIR allow you to camp the night before your event and how late the gates are open?

Gates open at 5:30pm today (the day before the event) and stay open all night. Also you can camp tonight as well, so yes to your question.

Unbroken13

My GPS takes me right to the gate... But for a minute when your on that one country back road u start to question if there is a track anywhere near by lol

Irish01;285001 wrote: Speaking of food, don't forget Saturday evening is the Meet and Greet! Rain or shine the grills will be fired up and ALL donations go to the Air Fence Fund Raiser, specifically in needed areas at VIR! :)
Looking forward to it. My wife has her ingredients ready for a dish to bring. Anyone know any anti-rain dances?

afinepoint;285046 wrote: Looking forward to it. My wife has her ingredients ready for a dish to bring. Anyone know any anti-rain dances?
If you don't want rain, plant some grass or vegetables . . . :doh:

shad0ws

Loading up now. See you gents there.

eju6aze9.jpg