Wakey, Wakey... Get in shapey...

CBRtist

I know this pops up from time to time, but what are you all doing to shape up this season. I know some of you with natural talent are just lifting beers... but would love to hear work outs from the other... (old and new) for variations and ideas.

I've been pretty serious this year with cardio, core, weights... some pole action for adductors/abductors, and heismans on balls of my feet.

Because if I can never acquire speed, might as well get a workout out of it :like:

haldavid

Yoga. Seriously. Hands down best thing I've done for my abused body. What type you do is personal preference, but I prefer the breathing/movement focused Vinyasa style versus the hot yoga or Bikram style stuff.

I'm like you, I do cardio and lifting 4-5 times a week just as normal practice. I lost about 40 pounds from July to December by fixing my diet. Adding yoga into the mix suddenly fixed a lot of the nagging stiffness or pain that I had gotten so used to that it was just internalized. Now, if I haven't done a session in a few days, I feel the burr in my left shoulderblade and the stiffness in my right hip and lower back start to creep back. I finally understand what they mean by "yoga is addicting." It's not hippy dippy crap, you just get addicted to the loose, limber feeling in your joints that lasts for days after a good session.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I've been running, lifting and rowing. Big effort this year on fitness. Dropped 15 pounds. At Jennings, I felt like a completely different person. Incredibly better stamina resulted in being able to really maintain body position and control through entire days, resulting in way better consistency, much better control - and WAY faster laps. Last year I had to measure and manage my sessions and effort. At Jennings that wasn't even a consideration. Especially for those of us that are a bit longer in the tooth, I can't emphasize enough how much fitness should be part of our training regiment.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
bicycling and swimming for fitness/endurance. Weight training just because I've done it forever.

mpusch

Micah
Finally made a solid effort this offseason to get into real shape. Went from 6'0 200lbs to 185 in about 3 months, while adding a good bit of muscle. In addition to a lot of basketball and cardio, I can safely same I'm in the best shape of my life. Looking forward to better endurance on the bike, as well as those crucial pounds helping me drive out of corners :D

sti2.5ldohc

I struggled with my physical fitness while on track last year. That's made me really work hard over the winter with calisthenics type training. I've also been running to keep up my aerobic level.

I also powerlift but that's mainly for fun.

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
I swim and bicycle. I swim a mile a day (4-5 days a week) and bike on the weekends, then when the days get longer through spring, summer and fall, I bike after work a few days a week as well.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
5 days a week in the gym:
Weight lifting-each muscle group 1x per week; 3 exercises, 3 sets pyramid
Cardio 4x/week
Yoga 1x/week

Sometimes do something on the weekend, walking, etc.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I read the forum 3 to 4 times a day. On heavy days I burn through 350 to 500 emails at work and can go 6 to 10 hours holding a desk chair down.

I watched this about 5 weeks ago:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

made a concerted effort on diet, cutting meat and dairy to once a week and have dropped 15 pounds in 5 weeks with no other change.

Ice hockey 2 to 3 times a week, hotel gyms 2 to 3 times a weeks, 15 minute work out from the lee parks total control book daily. If it ever warms up mountain biking and dirt biking!

I have said it before, Round is a shape so technically I am in shape!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Martini with 4 olives every day at 5:00pm....those of you who know me know this is the truth! Other than that I got rid of my full race bicycle and just bought a cross fit bike that I'm promising myself that I'll ride every day....The martini's are an easier promise to keep...we'll see how it goes! :eek:

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I just lost 9lbs. by exercise and diet in less than 1 month! 2 different body parts at the gym 3 to 5 days a week and 20 to 25 minutes of cardio every-time I'm at the gym. I fit into my suit a whole lot better! I think that the best thing for ME was portion control! 6 oz. of protein and 1 cup of a carbohydrate and all the green veggies I can eat plus salads! Olive oil and balsamic vinegar are what I like. I have cut out soda and most juices altogether and drink alot of water! No cold cuts or hot dogs for now. No added salt to my meals and cut added sugar out too! Fresh fruits are good also! Beer is considered a protein so I can still have that but not alot! LOL! You can always offer me a beer!:like:

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I just go to work. Mowing lawns for 60 to 80 hours a week will get you in some great shape. Right now my bmi is 25%. By April my bmi will 15% and I will lose 10lbs. All while eating 4000 calories a day. Too bad it is wearing my body out.

CBRtist

Yes! Portioning! I'm obsessed with the "Lose It" app and am constantly scanning and inputting food. Really holds you accountable (who knew FireBall was a zillion calories???) Also got a cool Weight Gurus scale to cross reference. I lost a total of 12lbs. in 6 weeks, BF is down, because I'm on a 1800 cal daily allowance, burn about 300 - 500 cals daily with working out. Much more to go though! Told myself I would reward myself with a new suit if I got to my goal :like:

Wonder everyone's ages? That affects things... I mean, I'm 47 and Judy is 48 :whistle:

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I think that I'm just lucky enough to have a fast metabolism. I'm 37 and heard all my life that the amount of food I eat will catch up with me. Looking on both sides of my family and how thin they are I don't have much to worry about. I know my job keeps me trim in the summer but I should be 400lbs in the winter.

I just can't stand to exercise for the sake of exercise. I need to be doing something productive. I have volunteered in the winter at a firewood lot. Splitting and pitching firewood for local families that can't afford to buy their own wood to heat their homes. Now that was a workout!

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Yes! Portioning! I'm obsessed with the "Lose It" app and am constantly scanning and inputting food. Really holds you accountable (who knew FireBall was a zillion calories???) Also got a cool Weight Gurus scale to cross reference. I lost a total of 12lbs. in 6 weeks, BF is down, because I'm on a 1800 cal daily allowance, burn about 300 - 500 cals daily with working out. Much more to go though! Told myself I would reward myself with a new suit if I got to my goal :like:

Wonder everyone's ages? That affects things... I mean, I'm 47 and Judy is 48 :whistle:

Wendy, the portion control is a very big reason that I'm loosing the weight! I would guess that I'm on less than 2000 calories a day! I also have a digital food scale. I do need the carbs though for the gym workouts though. I'm not looking to get big, just tone up and loose body-fat and get in better shape! By the way, I just turned 50!;)

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I just have my wife bake cakes and cookies for me to bring to the track to fatten everyone else up to slow them down. Not sure it's working yet but everyone seems to like it when I bring them! ;-)

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Seriously though, cycling 4-5 times a week with core and upper body on alternate days. The cycling was a huge help to my endurance last year.

I would definitely have to agree with the comments above about nutrition as well. It's a big part of not just weight loss but being sure to put the right kind of energy in your body.

mpusch

Micah
Agree with portion control. I never ever thought I'd be the guy to do this, but I track literally everything I eat in "My Fitness Pal" app. Only as good as your inputs, but it's been really helpful for me.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You are too kind, LOL.
Yes, age affects metabolism for sure. Despite all the working out I do, if I want to lose, I need to drop cals to between 1200 and 1500/day. And I can't eat much more than that to maintain. Portion control/calorie counting works for me. Twenty years ago I could eat more, guessing another 200-300 cals/day. No more.
Stay far, far away from the fad diets, they only work short-term. You have to change your lifestyle.