Was Wondering.....

kawijay

New to this
Hey guys...I wanted to ask a question about rider gear. I know we have to wear SNELL approved helmets and CE-2 suits. I want to know which suit are you wearing or own. What's your take on it? Would you buy the exact same suit again? What about boots? This isn't a question about price or being in the latest trend. Just wanna see if there is a consistant brand or specific suit that everyone is sorta using. Doesn't matter if you just started riding or been ride all your life. I am looking to pick up a A* Motegi 1 (hope I spelled it right) next month. I am 6'4" 230lb 44" chest. Just bought the SIDI Cobra boots and the Speed and Strenght Twist of Fate guantlet glove. What do you guy wear? What's your favorite set up?

buzz-06

AXO custom suit
Supertech R boots
Held phantom gloves

I can tell you that after 6years of road racing and trackdays a custom suit was the best thing I've ever purchased. Price was fair and its survived 4 crashes. It's being retired now and a heroic custom will be my next suit. But customs are the way to go if you can afford it.

JakeSizzle

"Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard approved, with eye protection. No flip up helmets allowed."

Just FYI, SNELL isn't required.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Proper fit is more important then brand...in my opinion. Any top line suit that is too big has the potential to cause snagging or twisting problems in a crash. I'm not sure I would go "bottom of the barrel" regarding safety gear but most mid-line stuff is pretty darn good. This time of the year many shops are selling off last years models and it's a great time to save some dough. Try very hard to get a suit and helmet that sized properly for you. Try it on if possible, with an experts help is even better. If not possible make sure the return policy is up to snuff.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Hi kawijay, I am like you just starting out. I know you can go crazy with gear but this is what I where. I have Teknic suit one piece, Cortech gloves, S

Hi kawijay, I am like you just starting out. I know you can go crazy with gear but this is what I where. I have Teknic suit one piece, Cortech gloves, S
Sedici boots, and an Icon helmet. I bought each item because they fit me well and I am confident that they will protect me in a get off. Next season I'm getting a back protector. They are cheap and well worth the money. I know I spelled wear wrong.

rhill

+1 for fit being most important. You should be comfortable and confident in your gear. If you are uncomfortable physically or mentally because of anything, it will detract from your experience on track.....along with your pace.

I had two Spidi suits, both were 44/54; one fit me perfect, the other was so tight on my chest I couldn't breathe on track and the knees were so tight it was difficult to get my feet onto the pegs. Tried to race with the tight one.....5 laps felt like 15 and I coudn't even come close to my normal pace. Switched to the normal suit for the next race and knocked 3 seconds off immediately.

Custom suits have an advantage BTW, I chopped nearly 2" off the sleeves of my Spidi to be comfortable....just picked up an RST to replace it and I'm going to have to do something similar.

kawijay

New to this
AXO custom suit
Supertech R boots
Held phantom gloves

I can tell you that after 6years of road racing and trackdays a custom suit was the best thing I've ever purchased. Price was fair and its survived 4 crashes. It's being retired now and a heroic custom will be my next suit. But customs are the way to go if you can afford it.

Where did you get your suit made?

+1 for fit being most important. You should be comfortable and confident in your gear. If you are uncomfortable physically or mentally because of anything, it will detract from your experience on track.....along with your pace.

I had two Spidi suits, both were 44/54; one fit me perfect, the other was so tight on my chest I couldn't breathe on track and the knees were so tight it was difficult to get my feet onto the pegs. Tried to race with the tight one.....5 laps felt like 15 and I coudn't even come close to my normal pace. Switched to the normal suit for the next race and knocked 3 seconds off immediately.

Custom suits have an advantage BTW, I chopped nearly 2" off the sleeves of my Spidi to be comfortable....just picked up an RST to replace it and I'm going to have to do something similar.
Who did the work when you had your sleeves shortened. I feel I need about an inch off of mine.

kawijay

New to this
Proper fit is more important then brand...in my opinion. Any top line suit that is too big has the potential to cause snagging or twisting problems in a crash. I'm not sure I would go "bottom of the barrel" regarding safety gear but most mid-line stuff is pretty darn good. This time of the year many shops are selling off last years models and it's a great time to save some dough. Try very hard to get a suit and helmet that sized properly for you. Try it on if possible, with an experts help is even better. If not possible make sure the return policy is up to snuff.

what gear do you use?

Also get some under armor for under your suit. It might seem obvious to most people but I didn't think of it until I started reading about track suits.

kawijay

New to this

Ok so custom is definatly best. If I got a suit that was too big in some areas, and took it to a tailor would that work just the same as a custom suit?

kawijay

New to this
Also get some under armor for under your suit. It might seem obvious to most people but I didn't think of it until I started reading about track suits.

I have bought separate back, hip, thigh, tailbone parts to fit under my suit just in case.

I have bought separate back, hip, thigh, tailbone parts to fit under my suit just in case.
That's fine but what I meant by under armor was the skin tight compression clothes you wear beneath your suit. I hope I am describing it well enough for you to understand what I mean. Think of under armor the name brand. Hopefully someone who is reading this might be able to describe it better.

rhill

Who did the work when you had your sleeves shortened. I feel I need about an inch off of mine.

Did it myself, really wasn't bad at all. Picked up a sewing awl and went to town.....helps to have for any seam repairs as well.

Ok so custom is definatly best. If I got a suit that was too big in some areas, and took it to a tailor would that work just the same as a custom suit?

I'd say custom>customized>off the shelf. Not too sure how capable a tailor would be with leather....worth a shot though, if not I've heard good things about Barnacle Bill http://www.racingleather.com/about.html

+1 for under armor heatgear and some compression shorts

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Barnacle Bill does all my alterations. http://www.racingleather.com/

Custom would be optimal, but Custom is also expensive. Hell, suits are expensive. But, they're necessary and worth it when you need it, I say that hoping you never ever NEED your suit if you know what I mean.

We're all different shapes and sizes. Suits are all made with subtle differences to their dimensions. Personally, A-Star suits fit me best. I'm 5'9/240. I need room for my big fat ass, so their size 48 generally works well for me. The two that I have fit as close to custom as I'll get off the rack. I suggest you shop around, try on different suits, different brands to find what might work best. And best within your budget.

For gloves, I'm a very loyal fan of Held's gloves. They're a little pricey, but I like to be able to count to ten, and I like to be able to type here on the Forum to all you nice people. So, I don't mind paying a bit to protect my hands.

Gloves A-Star and Sidi are both great boots. Sidi's are a little more for narrower feet, and A-stars are friendlier to wider feet in my opinion.

The Under Armor or any other undersuit makes taking your suit off and on when you're sweaty. Otherwise, even with their liners, sweat can almost act like glue for getting your suit off.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Sedici boots, and an Icon helmet. I bought each item because they fit me well and I am confident that they will protect me in a get off. Next season I'm getting a back protector. They are cheap and well worth the money. I know I spelled wear wrong.

Mike, I have a A-Star back protector in my garage I believe I've never used. It came with one of my suits, and I wear a vest with back and chest protectors in it under my suit. Where are you located?

Mike, I have a A-Star back protector in my garage I believe I've never used. It came with one of my suits, and I wear a vest with back and chest protectors in it under my suit. Where are you located?
Greeneville TN 37745 Wish I had known about those under suits before I bought my under armor. O well maybe Santa will bring me one.