What flooring to use for gravel/dirt pit space?

cartmen34

Fo for those of you who regularly pit on VIR's north course or CMP what do you put down over the pea gravel/dirt to create a more suitable pit space?

I've noticed some put down indoor/outdoor carpet, some use a chunk of plywood, some others use that same fancy hard rubber mat flooring the AMA pro teams use. What are the pros/cons of each of these? Anything else people use?

Is whatever solution you use strong enough to park your bike on or do most of you park it between the edge of the asphalt and the yellow lines?

Meat

I used to use Swiss Trax and absolutely loved it. It is more than strong enough to put your bike on stands. I liked it more than Race Deck because it was tremendously easier to put together on uneven surfaces.

Also, when use use something like Swiss Trax or Race Deck the dirt and gravel fall right through. You can walk around in your pits in just socks.

The downside of the decking is storage and setup/breakdown. Doesn't take long but longer than a piece of thin plywood with thin outdoor carpeting on top.

cartmen34

Thanks for the input guys. Meat thanks for the brand name. Hadn't run across them in my searches.

Shenanigans, how do you transport your sheet of plywood? Up against the wall of your trailer? On the floor? How do you secure it?

Meat

What flooring to use for gravel/dirt pit space?

Here is the stuff I used:
http://www.swisstrax.com/motorcycle-pads-gallery.php

It is Swiss Trax the style/model is called Rib Trax.

I keep the plywood (doesn't need to be thick) up against the inside of my trailer for transport. It is always in the trailer and just pull it out at the tracks that need it.

dbakerpa

Tractor Supply stall mats work great and are durable and cleanable and dont roll the pits up when you go home. I use mine at home now and they are also easy on the knees in the garage.

The Stall mats definitely win on price. $2.08/sqr foot vs $7.00/ sqr foot of the Swisstrax. If the single color of black for the stall mats isn't an issue the choice is easy but you have to buy the 12' x 12' kit of 144 interlocking pieces for $300 or the 4' x 6' single piece at $37.00.

If you can get someone to go in on the kit then break it up and reduce the cost.

Hey, dbaker how do they handle rain regarding drainage and traction? I understand that horses are standing and sleeping on them.

dbakerpa

afinepoint;287021 wrote: The Stall mats definitely win on price. $2.08/sqr foot vs $7.00/ sqr foot of the Swisstrax. If the single color of black for the stall mats isn't an issue the choice is easy but you have to buy the 12' x 12' kit of 144 interlocking pieces for $300 or the 4' x 6' single piece at $37.00.

If you can get someone to go in on the kit then break it up and reduce the cost.

Hey, dbaker how do they handle rain regarding drainage and traction? I understand that horses are standing and sleeping on them.
Rain or oil they are fine. Rain and oil you need to find a handle. I had a leak then it sprinkled and I almost killed myself. It was probably pretty funny to watch.