Wheel Change Tool!

benbiker

Hello everybody,

We are developing a device that helps you change the front and rear wheel, at the moment.
So far our product can grab the wheel and after you push a button, it lifts the wheel into the right position. That way the wheel, the swing arm, and the caliber (rear) are aligned and you can easily without any pressure or wheel wiggling get the axle in.

This way you do not have to sit on the floor behind the bike and lift the tire. You simply stand next to the bike and put the axle in. A rear wheel change takes about 40 seconds.

What I want to know from you is if you have any suggestions to improve it, how much you would pay for this, and if you would like a simple version for around $30 or a more expensive one with chain and wheel laser aligning and so on.

Thanks!

andykurz

If you make one that works as you say and is $30, you will sell roughly one bazillion of them. Possibly a cagillion, I don't know.

Everyone hates changing rears especially, I think you would be very successful with a simple, effective product at or around that price.

z064life

Just an FYI....I have aftermarket chain adjusters and an underslung brembo caliper...my rear tire needs to be "dropped" in, not lifted up.

andykurz

I never saw that, but this comment made me LOL.

Author: Chris Barr
Unless you are an octopus, there's no reason not to have this tool. Keeps everything where it should be while making wheel changes. A must have for your bike specific tools!

Never met a road racing octopus!!

avizpls

#11-A
TurboBlew;292113 wrote: but this Graves one is about as close as youre going to get...lol
http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Mot...ool-R1-R6.html

Or you can use a 2x4.
Ha Ive never seen that! Honestly, Im fine with the knee/chest 'trick'. Works for me on just about every bike out there. Some are more of a juggle than others, but its not impossible with a little coordination and a plan. Although I have used a 1x6 about 18" long with my toes under one end as a lifter for harleys that have non-captive spacers on both sides of the wheel and the brake caliper bracket from hell.

borislav

Control Rider
There was a guy on Wera classifieds forum who was making and selling these tools for $20.00 if I can remember correctly!
I have one and it works sweet holding caliper in place while you handle wheel and axle. I don't know does he makes and sell them anymore, do some research!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
borislav;292208 wrote: There was a guy on Wera classifieds forum who was making and selling these tools for $20.00 if I can remember correctly!
I have one and it works sweet holding caliper in place while you handle wheel and axle. I don't know does he makes and sell them anymore, do some research!
The white delrin one? Unfortunately, he is no longer is making them, I checked recently as I wanted another one. The Graves one looks like it'll work as well.

Between that caliper holder and the TrakJak, wheel changes are soooooo easy!!!!

benbiker

Thank you all for your input!
Our current product design holds the wheel and lifts it into the right position; freeing your hands to easily remove/install the axles. It also allows you to change the front wheel WITHOUT removing the caliper(s). Also, you would no longer have to kneel on the floor behind the bike, lift the tire, or struggle to install the axles.

Now we need input from you and your bikes, on the Yamaha R1 forum we got the tip that the 07 R1 has very bulky calipers. That information is what we are looking for, since we cannot buy every bike.

We are patenting our product, so public disclosure is a must. That is why we cannot show you our product yet.

Thanks for all of you taking the survey and keep up doing so!

surveymonkey.com/s/C8D68LV

benbiker;293216 wrote: Thank you all for your input!
Our current product design holds the wheel and lifts it into the right position; freeing your hands to easily remove/install the axles. It also allows you to change the front wheel WITHOUT removing the caliper(s). Also, you would no longer have to kneel on the floor behind the bike, lift the tire, or struggle to install the axles.

Now we need input from you and your bikes, on the Yamaha R1 forum we got the tip that the 07 R1 has very bulky calipers. That information is what we are looking for, since we cannot buy every bike.

We are patenting our product, so public disclosure is a must. That is why we cannot show you our product yet.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. Video please. The distance between the inner surfaces of my calipers is less than the width of my rim/tire.

TurboBlew

benbiker;293216 wrote: Thank you all for your input!

Um you must be new to this motorcycle game. Usually OEMs solicit local customers for their bikes to test fit in return for free product or schwag. Heck Ive gotten a few nice items this way.

Of course I cant imagine what this part/tool is going to look like at the $30 price point. Matter of fact I think folks would probably dismiss it as the pricing is so cheap.

avizpls

#11-A
benbiker;293216 wrote: It also allows you to change the front wheel WITHOUT removing the caliper(s).
I'm also going to call this one out. Claiming this makes you sound very new indeed to motorcycles. Unless you're pulling some endurance wheel change trickery (which at $30, you're not) the calipers are coming off on the vast majority of dual-disc bikes.

That said, if its a good product that does a good job, Ill buy one or more. But withholding your product claiming you're patenting it first is silly. Half of the things I own say "Pat Pend" on them.

Joe Vital

daddy and avizpls;
quick change front ends are nothing new. just really expensive. go search youtube and watch a daytona front tire/wheel change.

though i have no idea what this spammer is selling. the idea that one HAS to remove the calipers is not entirely true.

-joe

z064life

Joe Vital;293531 wrote: daddy and avizpls;
quick change front ends are nothing new. just really expensive. go search youtube and watch a daytona front tire/wheel change.

though i have no idea what this spammer is selling. the idea that one HAS to remove the calipers is not entirely true.

-joe
Aviz clearly said unless he is pulling some endurance trickery.....and he isn't for $30. Noone doubts that front wheels can be changed without removing calipers with the correct setup...but not an OEM setup

Joe Vital

actuall corvette driver, one can remove the front wheel with an OEM set-up without removing the calipers.
i'd tell you how, but i'm bored with this subject now.

carry on.

-joe