Which leg to push with??

Matt Gephart

So there are those out there who put weight on the outside peg?

Does this mean that you have more weight on the outside peg than the inside peg? Does it matter where you are in the corner, are you shifting your weight from one to the other?

For me, the further over I hang the more pressure goes to that peg.

Seriously, physics aside, I'm trying to improve my technique so anybody with first hand knowledge please keep posting!

Thanks!

moto_mx131

On entry and mid corner I have my weight on the inside peg but as I start to accelerate out of the corner I start to weight the outside peg it help's me keep from pulling on the bars to. I am not saying this is the way it should be done but this way seems to work for me.

jas0336

To me it seems like "weighting" isn't necessarily the right word. When I'm in a full lean my body weight is on the inside of the bike and that transfers to the peg/bike but I think my outside leg exerts more effort because I'm using it to hang on and preparing to stand the bike up upon exit.
When it's time to get the bike stood up, then I transfer my weight to the outside peg but that is after the apex.
Maybe everyone is saying the same thing but describing it differently.

stkr

lemondrop;132514 wrote: the third
This is different than Nick described it, huh?

Simplicity: Whether it's weight on the outside peg, or you're pushing the bike up, the end goal is to get back on the meaty part of the tire (less lean) so that you can add power.

...and yes, the CG is shifting as you do this, or we would all fall off. ;)

barry38

This arguement recurrs every year or so. Freddie Spencer says weight the inside. I weight the inside, and PRESS on the outside from the apex to veritcal, but the WEIGHT is still on the inside peg. I truely don't understand how anyone can put weight on the OUTSIDE peg when the are hanging off the INSIDE of the bike.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

sobottka

as with many things, theres different schools of thought on the matter. the bottom line is at our level it doesnt make a whole lot of difference. :rolleyes: its just a fun conversation.
if you wanna see riders of a different discipline weighting the outside peg see speedway GP or flat track.

Meat

brn6604;132838 wrote: Meat, maybe you left some moments out of your equations.
When talking about a rider staying on the motorcycle, you only have centripetal acceleration on his lower body and his CG, which is going to be above the seat for us, is trying to go in a straight line. So the overturning moment of the rider about the axis of bike travel is the only one that applies to the rider staying on the bike. The moment transverse to the direction of travel has no relevance in this situation as you would not use a pivot point behind the CG to react a forward overturning moment, if that pivot point only allowed a pushing action (foot on peg).

brn664, what moment are you referring to?

Now, if you are talking about motoGP lean angles, then that may be different as the lean angle of the bike won't be as close to the resultant force for the combined rider+bike.

I know for certain that I can support all of my weight on my inside peg. I was at Rd Atl, last year and had my outside foot out (as I often do) in 10B to come in on the checkered lap (nesba) and I also threw my outside hand up in disgust as someone tried to pass me right before the pits. I did this while dragging a knee.

As many people that have cameras on their bike, surely someone can shoot a video as I have described so many times. That would settle this once and for all.

sobottka

well dont take a video for my benifit, i can weight either peg if i choose to. why this is so difficult for you (meat) to understand is kinda funny.

Meat

sobottka;132873 wrote: well dont take a video for my benifit, i can weight either peg if i choose to. why this is so difficult for you (meat) to understand is kinda funny.
I do believe that if your body (CG) is not off to the inside that you can react the riders force with either leg (such as more of a Larry Pegram style). I know many very skilled riders talk about weighting the outside peg. I am sure they would know if they are pressing on their outside peg or not. I have never understood this as a simple static freebody (showing the forces on the rider) would show that you must use your inside peg to react the load of the rider hanging off to the inside. As the rider's CG gets closer to the centerline of the bike, the rider would have the ability to weight the outer peg.

So, if the rider is moving his CG back toward the centerline of the bike on corner exit, then the rider can definitely push on the outer peg. But, I just don't understand how that could be possible at full lean on a neutral (at least not a positively cambered) turn, with the body fully to the inside of the bike.

Meat

Now I do fully understand why you can push on either peg of a motorcycle when it is straight up and have little impact on the bike, due to the gyroscopic effect. I am by no means talking about the motorcycle hear. Only the rider on the motorcycle.

Look, I am sure people should know if they are pushing on their outer peg or not. Freddie Spencer told me this as well, but I didn't want to press him to find out how. I didn't know if they were just pushing into the tank harder with their outside knee and outside peg, which would allow you to put less weight on the inside peg (remember, I stipulated from the beginning that the knees could not be touching the tank in the video). And if that is the case, then the tank is what is keeping the rider from rolling off the bike to the inside, not the peg. (for engineers: the outside peg and tank couple out the moment caused by the rider's CG being to the inside of the bike+rider resultant force).

Matt Gephart

You guys take this to a new level.

What I'm really going for is just to make sure that I'm not doing it wrong, which it sounds like I'm ok. Sure I like to stand the bike up when exiting while still leaned over so I can get the power to the ground, and I do weight the peg I'm leaning to most of the time.

I realize that watching moto gp might not be the best place to try to pick up tips because they are doing things which benefits a gp style and environment which might not directly apply to my tasks at hand. That being said, watching Lorenzo pick up his inside foot off the peg to shift positions while having a knee on the ground made me think that he is doing something that I'm not, but probably he is doing 1200 things I'm not and maybe I should bring it down a few before trying this one.

Feel free to keep arguing about it though!

-gep

Meat

Yea, I am so sick of this thread as well!!!

And yea MotoGP can be at very high lean angles and they may also keep from falling off the bike using their knee in the tank, like I do coming out of the esses at VIR-North (almost no weight on inside peg).