Woodcraft or Chickenhawk?

Drtbkrdude

Looking for any input/experience others have had with dual temp tire warmers.
I had the Suzukas dual temp, lasted 5 years.
I like the side curtians on the Woodcraft and they are 200 cheaper than Woodcraft.
What means must I use to justify one over the other?
Of course there is probably a thread on this matter. If so, please point me in the right direction!

j_fuggin_t

i don't think you can go wrong with either one, they both have great customer service and thats what counts

1up5down

Control Rider
My apologies as I'm unclear what version/model of the warmers you are looking for feedback on as Woodcraft and CH offer three different versions/models.

My experience is that Woodcraft and CH offer high quality products and really great customer service as well. I had the highest level Woodcraft warmers/bakers a few years back and unfortunately had several problems with them. The great thing was that Woodcraft took great care of me each and every time. Meaning they worked to make it right, by standing behind the product.

Unfortunately, the problems became too much of a liability (not having warmers when I needed them) and I moved over to CH digital (the highest version/model). I've had good experiences with CH digital warmers for over 3 years now. That is not to say I haven't had issues with the product (not all things are going to work 100% of the time), I have, but they also stand behind their product. In my experinece, the difference is that I've had fewer issues (time without warmers) with CH than I did with Woodcraft.

I'm sure there are others that may have had a different experience. The bottom line is that both company's offer quality products, excellent customer service and support the sport by being actively involved in the sport.

So, you really can't lose. Find the product that fits your needs best and go with it.

Just my .02 for ya!

Allen

Drtbkrdude

Thanks, guys!
FYI...
I am looking at the CH Pole Position compared to the Woodcraft dual temp.
Yeah, CH is three temps and they now offer the neoprene jacketing to reduce wind flow through the wheels.
Gotta be careful which one I choose. I found a set for 539 as opposed to 569 but the cheaper pair didn't look as if they had the new neoprene liner!
When in doubt, spend more than can be justified, after all I'm not taking it with me!
Who is our sponsor now? Are Kneedraggers and NESBA Store still consolidated? :dunno:
NESBA store is blank when I select it to see current offers.

sobottka

the chickenhawks are great but I've never owned a set. I have had woodcraft warmers for the last 5 years but not without problems along the way. however, woodcraft has replaced my warmers at no charge to me ...about 4 times in 5 years. keep in mind their warranty is for 1 year!!! its this kind of customer service (along with the rest of their product line-up) that makes me a customer for life. plus they have assured me that the problems i had with previous versions of their warmers has been solved on the current ones.

some guy #2

Wouldn't you say warmers crapping our every year regardless of free replacements is not a very good testament to their quality?

ekraft84

The Chicken Hawk warmers are the best ones out there and available today. Not just the quality and durability, but also in how hot the warmer actually gets compared to other brands.

We've been using the middle-of-the-line ones, with 3 temps and they work great. In the summer, the "hot" setting is almost too hot and we drop down to medium - that's how well they work. Chicken Hawk also now has the side curtains, which is an added feature for keeping the heat in on those cool mornings.

Edit: as a disclaimer, I am sponsored by them, but only after seeing how well they worked on the competition's bikes did I really start taking a look at how important good and reliable tire warmers are. They are made in the USA to boot, which is a big bonus to me.

j_fuggin_t

ekraft84;240327 wrote:
We've been using the middle-of-the-line ones, with 3 temps and they work great. In the summer, the "hot" setting is almost too hot and we drop down to medium - that's how well they work.
+1 on that!! i have the single temps and damn they get hot, like damn near burn your hand hot in the summer

Fastguy

Why do guys seem surprised that they can get 5 years out of a set of quality warmers?

Is it a quality issue or user fault that you hear warmers burning out after 3 to 5 seasons?

Hotbrakes

Woodcraft warmers have a built in safety, you must unplug them in order to remove them from the tire. They also have a "DING! Tires are done" light to indicate they are up to temp.

sobottka

some guy #2;240326 wrote: Wouldn't you say warmers crapping our every year regardless of free replacements is not a very good testament to their quality?
well nothing in this world is perfect, not even chickenhawk warmers. woodcraft did reveal that most of their customers who were having problems were getting their power from generators, not from electricity supplied trackside. in my case they suspect that the eco throttle setting i would use on my generator was the culprit. i no longer use the eco throttle setting when my warmers are in use and so far so good.

j_fuggin_t

sobottka;240512 wrote: well nothing in this world is perfect, not even chickenhawk warmers. woodcraft did reveal that most of their customers who were having problems were getting their power from generators, not from electricity supplied trackside. in my case they suspect that the eco throttle setting i would use on my generator was the culprit. i no longer use the eco throttle setting when my warmers are in use and so far so good.
So I shouldn't use that setting while running warmers?

ERB68

I must say, I really like the peace of mind I get from looking at the temp read out and knowing what temp they are at.

Vote for CH

I believe CH has even adopted some of the better woodcraft ideas like side skirts and circuit disconnect at the overlap on the blanket.

Drtbkrdude

Tire Warmers

Thanks for all the input, guys!
I ended up going through TJ at Wera and got the proline, ususlly $749 for $600.
Too much $ in my opinion, but the mid-level was $450 so what the Hell!
Cost becomes less of a matter when you're jones'n! :rolleyes:

geekmug

sobottka;240512 wrote: well nothing in this world is perfect, not even chickenhawk warmers. woodcraft did reveal that most of their customers who were having problems were getting their power from generators, not from electricity supplied trackside. in my case they suspect that the eco throttle setting i would use on my generator was the culprit. i no longer use the eco throttle setting when my warmers are in use and so far so good.
Hmm, I'd believe that non-inverted generators could hurt the warmers because you could get an over-voltage situation causing the warmers to getting hotter than they were intended. But your eco throttle generator is inverted, so the line voltage should be better regulated. The only problem with eco-throttle is that it could have an under-voltage condition if it's idling and a large load turns on (like an A/C), which could cause the motor to fail to start. However, under-voltage would just mean your warmers don't get up to full-temp as quickly (small amount of lag while the generator speeds up).

I just got a set of Woodcrafts for this year, and I'm gonna keep using the eco-throttle. I'll let you know if they break. :dunno:

some guy #2

Even with the ECO throttle doesn't the genny still get up to max output? I thought the ECO mode was like an auto throttle?

geekmug

some guy #2;240907 wrote: Even with the ECO throttle doesn't the genny still get up to max output? I thought the ECO mode was like an auto throttle?
Yah, it will, there is just a time lag where from it detecting the load and responding to it. For high in-rush devices (like an A/C's compressor) it can be a problem, but for a simple resistive load like a tire baker, I don't get how it could matter in the slightest.

I never contacted Woodcraft so I can't offer feedback there. I bought Chicken Hawks based on reputation and the personal service of their tech. He spent a lot of time with me on the telephone discussing tires and warmers. No pressure.

I felt I've made the right choice.