Yamaha Champions school

andykurz

**I have not taken the school**

I think the problem is that it is hard to give objective data on what the class does for people. They have taught a range of people, including people that have never ridden on a race track, people that race AMA, people that are young, old, naturally talented, not, etc. It's such a range that they can't say something like "SHAVE 2 SECONDS OFF YOUR SUMMIT MAIN TIME OR YOUR MONEY BACK!!", though it may be true. The outcome is different for different people, and not always immediate.

The only thing that I can say, having not taken the class, is that everyone who does take it come out singing praises. That goes for people who took the class in the rain too! Yes, it is expensive. It's a small group renting the whole facility for two days, so there certainly are high fixed costs there too.

You are right, it is a very big chunk of change. I am having the same issue, but really want to try to get it in the budget as soon as possible.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
If it helps, the YCRS folks have been a very good partner and have extended very generous offers/discounts to N2 members.

For me personally, I've done the school 3 times and.... the return has been invaluable. When people state, "you have to go slow to go fast...", it's really about learning the fundamentals and letting the speed come. Speed is a product/outcome, not a goal. Being able to do it with greater consistency, greater level of comfort, riding well within your limits, lap, after lap, after lap is how you win races (if that's what you're in it for).

John, from our chat, I understand that you are a recent WERA expert and you've seen immediately how the game has changed. I always say, you're swimming with a faster school of fish, so you're naturally going to go faster. But understanding what's happening as speed increases and margin for error decreases sharply, it's the skills that YCRS teaches that will help you in the end. All the seat time in the world without a plan and just repeating the same mistakes over and over will accomplish nothing, if not leave someone tired and burned out from hitting that proverbial learning wall. Teaching skills to navigate the unexpected, the variability, yet also focusing on "why things happen" when you do "this". These guys are not just teaching a program, they are great teachers. I will always state that what impresses me most is the fact that the team can bring -even novice riders- to an "ah ha moment" in very short order. It's because it's simple, easily explained practices -not voodoo- instilled in riders of all levels that gives their students what they need to succeed.

As for me, I'm old and crusty and I can still run some fairly decent lap times. I'd say my times dropped an average of 2-3 seconds per racetrack -and- I'm doing it comfortably. I'm now 50 and have crashed ONCE in the last 10 years. Like you, I was once doing :19s at Summit and STRUGGLING. Now, I crack up when I'm riding with someone only to find that I was running 2-3 seconds faster, but swear I was going slower. I can only liken it to swinging a golf club. You can struggle and try to mash that ball... but then you get to the point where it feels like you didn't even hit the ball at all -AND- it sails off farther and straighter than you've ever hit it before.

Lastly, I would encourage people to not think you're done when you graduate from the school. What you've done is place some new found knowledge and tools in your chest. You continue to use and apply them and the results come over time (and not much time).

Hope this helps.

Rob ..

glen521

Control Rider
I totally agree- big chunk of change. I also agree - the N2 / YCRS SED dates are a great idea, more economical for the " taste " but most still did not take advantage of it. Due to the small amount of riders, Nick and the crew did not hold back and took over for the 2 days. This allowed me to take the school again , but on my own bike this time....highlighted deficiencies in my own bike. Hopefully we will see you at the next SED day.

The Avidmoto

In August, I took the YCRS One Day Clinic and it gave me more confidence that I could've imagined. Nick Ienatsch coerced me into a two up ride and he just braked and braked and then he trailbraked and trailbraked and trailbraked until I was sure his was going to lose the front. Needless to say that we did not crash but it showed me that I do not have to be afraid of trailbraking (sometimes all the way to the apex) unlike another well known riding school that wants you to get all you braking done while straight up and down. Nick was loose, composed, fearless and oozed confidence in his abilities. I don't have a lap timer so I do not know how much faster that I have become but I know that I am now safer, have more confidence and make much better decisions. But, I did get bumped to the advanced group with the org that I ride with during the first session of the morning while I thought I was just warming up! For obvious reasons, I plan on taking the YCRS full school in 2015 as early as I can!