Your Pit / Paddock / weekend setup

Lean.In.

Ive searched all over for this. I want to see pics of your pit / paddock / weekend setup when you go to a trackday. I am personally less interested in big campers and stuff like that but post it up anyway if you want. What Im after is a setup that invovles your vehicle, trailer (enclosed or not), gazebo, chairs, tables, where you sleep, change, rest, etc etc. The reason I say Im less interested in camper setups is (1) all of the above mentioned happens inside that camper...so...ok. (2) I want to see how those without campers are creative to be comfortable over a hot weekend at the track.

QUESTIONS:

How large, generally, is the area you are allowed to use for your personal space?

Assuming most people use a 10 x 10 gazebo, can the footprint of your area be 10' wide by however long (within reason of course)? Like, if I wanted to use a 10' x 15' gazebo, would that be ok?

I personally have a truck and an open utility trailer. I want to put a cap on the back of the truck, but if I can use a 10 x 15 portable gazebo, I can leave my bike and stuff in there and just sleep in it as well, change there, eat and chill, etc.

Lets see them!

AU_R1

Lean.In.;171346 wrote: How large, generally, is the area you are allowed to use for your personal space?
Well I suppose this depends on how early you arrive, where you are, and how greedy you want to be. 10x15 will be fine. I just set up my pop-up, back my truck up to it, and that's my space. Just remember to be considerate of other people that are already set up, (i.e. allow them space to get their bike in and out or be prepared to let them roll through your space). Also, don't stick your loud a$$ generator on the other side of your trailer right next to my camp because you don't want to have to listen to it all day. Unfortunately this does happen occasionally and is extremely inconsiderate imo. That crap makes me want to go klepto on some ignition wires. :banghead:

Lean.In.

let me quash something real quick...Im not asking all this to see how many tracts of land I can bulldoze when I decide to set up...ha. And I realize how important consideration of other people who are close by is. I figured if a 10x10 is ok, a 10x15 should be fine too, Id just like to see how other people set there "pit" up.

AU, where do you sleep?

AU_R1

I used to sleep in my truck tent. It's an awesome tent that fits right in the bed of your truck. That worked fine until the little monster you see in my avatar showed up. I need to pick up a small toy hauler this year so my little minion can chill in the A/C.

Places like Road A and Barber have way more than enough room. Hell, we could all have sweet Raptor Fifth Wheel Toy Haulers, F-350s, two pop-ups, and there'd still be plenty of room. VIR South, not so much.

Bonus points if you bring a bulldozer.

IMG_2107.jpg

I couldn't find anything more recent, but I keep it pretty simple still, just added green outdoor carpet.

j_fuggin_t

it all depends on how many ppl you have in your group etc.. we have sometimes up to 10 ppl w/ us during a given track weekend, so obviously we take up some space, usually 3 ez-ups & one camper for one of the guys, i personally stay at a hotel most times because i like having a nice a/c to come back to along w/ a decent bed lol.

here is a small day at BHF:

blackhawkj.jpg

noobinacan

minimalist is good...quick to setup/easy to break-down and light to travel on.
Make a checklist, and keep adding to it as you need stuff.
I don't pack by checklist anymore, but run down it before leaving to makes sure its all there.

Lean.In.

good pics, thats what Im looking for.

J Fug, you have your group keep an eye on all your stuff while you are at the hotel? Im assuming you dont pack up everyday....

noob, Im making up my list now...first season and all...want to get it right.

Here is what Im wanting:
http://www.amazon.com/10x15-Wall-Canopy-Party-Gazebo/dp/B003Z94EUK/ref=pd_sbs_ol_4

plenty of room for the bike, a table, fan, chairs, tools, etc, and a cot or two for sleeping inside. It has walls, I could make shades out of tarps or something for the windows for privacy. waterproof canopy.

dbakerpa

My setup is the same except I keep a 5 x 8 carpet to put the bike on. Its soft on the knees. I also use it in the garage when I get home. Use heavy carpet with tight pile so it doesnt stick to hot tires.
Below is my trackday checkoff list.
By the way I have a 7 x 12 I sleep in with AC and an RV window I installed. You can always set up next to someone the night before and have them watch your stuff. Especially NESBA -your stuff is safer with the guys at the track than at the Hotel.
Track Day Preparation Guide

Bike Gas Cans (2)
Keys to your bike
Trailer or Ramp
Sleeping bag
Tie Downs
Blow up mattress & Pump
Locks- Trailer
Pillows
Front and rear stands
Mountain Bike
Lap timer - If you have one
Tarp
Free standing canopy
Tire Warmers
Shop Fan
Generator - If Necessary
Bungees
Service manual
Power Strip
RedlineWater Wetter
Hand Cleaner
Distilled Water
Shop Towels
Chain lube
Chain Cleaner
Axel Grease
Aspirin/Advil/Excedrin
Brake Cleaner
Toiletries
Oil Wallet
Brake Fluid
Extra $$
Gas - 5 to 10 Gallons
Camera
Funnel
Chairs
Misc Screwdrivers
Folding Table/s
Allen (Hex Head) wrenches/sockets
Change of clothes
Torque wrench Sunglasses
Allen (Hex Head) wrenches/sockets
Contacts
Torx Sockets (Star Headed Sockets)
Wet Ones towelettes
Safety Wire
Hand sanitizer
Wire Cutters Chap Stick
Safety Wire Pliers
Riding Forms
Wrenches
Zip Ties
Food
Duct Tape
Fruits
Lock Tite
Lite Fare
Rubber Mallet
Energy Drinks
Hammer
Electrolyte Replacement
Extension cord/s
Air gauge
Water
Electrical tape
Garbage bags
Battery Tender
Paper Plates
Wire brush
Plastic Utensils
Small diameter rope/String
Cooler
Double Face Tape
Ice
Air Tank
Paper towels
Flashlight/s
Hanging or Free Standing Light
Cordless Drill
Gear
Drill Bits
Leathers -One or Two Piece
Valve Stem Tool
Riding Boots
Gauntlet Riding Gloves
Back Protector - If required
Chest Protector - If required
Under garments-Undersuit
Cloth Towels - Large & Small
Windex
Helmet
Boot Socks
Shaded/Clear Helmet Visors
Rain Gear

Lean.In.

Id love an enclosed trailer, but thats out of the budget this year considering all the other stuff I need to get first. Thanks in advance for the list.

You too noob!

j_fuggin_t

Lean.In.;171364 wrote: good pics, thats what Im looking for.

J Fug, you have your group keep an eye on all your stuff while you are at the hotel? Im assuming you dont pack up everyday....
i usually just pull the tent down, throw my bike back in the trailer & leave it at the track, i have insane bad luck w/ ez-ups, in fact the one that the bike is under was destroyed the next day at "hurricane blackhawk" LOL my generator and stuff is usually just secured down. i've never really NOT trusted the folks at the track w/ my stuff, soneone usually has nicer stuff etc.. but i'd like to think i can trust the ppl i risk my body w/ on the weekends, but my buddy that has the rv stays at the track typically and the dalmation in the picture is his dog, he hears everything LOL

greeny

if you ever think you're taking up too much space... just ask "wwradd" - what would randy and dean do? :D

lplonske

the canopy u linked to seems like a good deal, maybe too good. i shopped around quite a bit and found a 10x15 from dicks sporting goods for about 350 shipped, it had 6 support posts instead of four. no walls tho...

Lean.In.

Yeah it wasn't that expensive. Ill def check out Dicks sporting goods then for that one bc if there is that big a gap in the price there may be quality issues. I'd love to have the walls though.

slowpoke

lplonske;171404 wrote: the canopy u linked to seems like a good deal, maybe too good. i shopped around quite a bit and found a 10x15 from dicks sporting goods for about 350 shipped, it had 6 support posts instead of four. no walls tho...
:agree:

there are canopy threads on here w/ opinions varying kind of like tires, but that one will probably get unanimous agreement as crappy.

i've gone through 4 canopies in 50+ events so I'm not one to recommend a canopy. My latest one "ez-up brand" seems good, but it's now guaranteed to break next time out.

keep in mind we get plenty of windy days so be sure to bring extra tie downs to secure canopy and then hope it doesn't twist like an expensive pretzel.

....and that bulldozer line - LMAO!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
So, since we can't attach pictures, how are you guys embedding them? I assume you've got them hosted somewhere, then can click insert image and enter the URL? I don't have photos hosted anywhere, so I'll just have to describe....

I have a 7x14 dual axle enclosed trailer. I don't camp at the track in either the trailer or a tent, since I don't have A/C. I just don't sleep well, so I get a nearby hotel, or at tracks like VIR or NJMP, I try to stay in the on-site rooms.

I have a carpet I put down on the trailer floor to stand on when I'm changing. The enclosed trailer makes it easier for a gal to get dressed! :) I also have a small step-stool by the side door to get in and out easier.

I have a 10'x10' canopy, and some of those chairs that fold up like the ones in twisted's picture. I also have a table like twisted, it's great to sit the helmet, gloves, etc. on, and for fixing lunch! I have a cooler on wheels that I use on one corner of the canopy. I make sure my canopy is tied on all 4 corners, as I've seen too many of them "take flight". I set mine up next to my trailer, so I can tie it to the trailer on two sides, then use a cooler and the grill or similar on the other two corners. I sit in the shade and leave the bike in the sun, as that's my "poor man's tire warmers", LOL!

At night, I drop the canopy down, but leave it out, making sure it's tied to stuff. I roll the bike back into the enclosed trailer and lock it up for the night.

If I had a generator, I'd add a fan to the set up. Otherwise, it works fine!

If I think I'm going to need to swap brake pads or anything, I bring one of those vinyl padded mats that I got from Summit Racing, and maybe one of those low shop stools on wheels.

dbaker's list looks great, I can't think of anything to add except for sunscreen and a hat. Getting sunburn on your face and neck is no fun. Most helmet visors don't block UV light. And maybe a small wastebasket. Sometimes the garbage cans aren't that close to your pit. Also, I'll bring a small propane grill if a bunch of us are grilling dinner at the track.

If you've forgotten something, or need a tool you don't have, ask your pit neighbor. Everyone's really helpful and someone is bound to have that tool or other item you need.

I also keep an extra set of brake pads on hand, and some common fasteners. Other extras are good to have, too, like pegs, clip ons, levers, etc.

Oh, and beer. I like a nice cold one at the end of a fun day! I always have extras to share, too!

dbakerpa

+1 on the grill. I forgot that because I keep that and the microwave in the trailer. I also bring a computer with a few CDs with the favorite movies or tv shows.
As for the canopies I keep heavy duty tent spikes and a crow bar to remove them in the tool box.