Your Pit / Paddock / weekend setup

Kordyte

I operate out of the Minivan. I got a EZ-up for christmas, but other than that I just sleep in the minivan, and I fit my bike in the van with all the bodywork, tires, parts, gear, etc.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to get a generator in there too! Tire warmers are here for the first time.

My next vehicle will probably be this, although I might want to do the lettering in blue or black.
958966.jpg

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
HondaGalToo;171407 wrote: Oh, and beer. I like a nice cold one at the end of a fun day! I always have extras to share, too!
Now THAT's a LADY with taste and class!

I used to have a 6x14 enclosed utility trailer for my first 7 years of track days. It did a great job, too. It hauled my bikes and was a roof over my head for many track day weekends. Had an air mattress, then a cot from Bass Pro to sleep on in it with a BIG fan on me for the warm Summer nights, and the sleeping bag from HELL and a space heater to keep me somewhat warm on cold Oct/Nov nights at VIR and Barber.

In July of 2009 I treated myself to this:

http://www.rvoutletusa1.com/new_galleria.asp?pov=1370046

I've been doing 15 track days/year for the last three years now..so I figured I could justify the expense because I feel like I use it enough that it makes sense. My friends and I travel together and we have a decent place to sleep.

I have mount plates in the back for the Pit Bull TRS so we can fit three wide in the back without tie downs, and I have a Honda Eu3000i so we're relatively power independent (it's also pit neighbor friendly where noise is concerned).

ride_hard

DSC00014.jpg

The only thing I own in this pit is my bike and a pitbull stand, but this is how Team Chouffe pits. Besides, whats the point of owning stuff when your friends have everything already? :rtfm:

beac83

For me it depends on the paddock size, expected attendance (different for each track and date) and anticipated weather.

I have a 6x12 enclosed, and if it might rain, I try to set up one EZ-UP so that it's against the side of the trailer so I can cook and get stuff in and out the side door without getting wet. I'll also set up the second 10x10 EZ-UP (when there is room) if it seems like it will be wet, or if I have someone along with me (and there's enough space).

My ideal setup is to pull in so the trailer back is about 10-15 feet off the road (the actual travel path, not necessairly the pavement), and have two 10x10 EZ-UPs, one at the rear and to the right of the trailer, butted up against the second one which is alongside the right side of the trailer.

I use 5 gal buckets as hold-down weights, I just fill them with water from a shower or tap. Lighter to carry and compact to store. (Stole this idea from ButchF ::adore: )

I try to plan my pit for maximum protection from the sun as it travels across the sky, so if I can put my trailer on the south side of my pit, that's best, as it acts as a shade, especially in the spring and fall when the sun is further south.

If I'm camping, its either the tent or sleeping in the trailer, depending on how hot it is (hot=tent) If I chicken out and get a hotel or am at Putnam (no camping) I usually pack up the trailer and leave it. Again, depending one weather expected, I may leave the bike(s) under a EZ-UP and lower it to the lowest height and tie it to the bikes for overnight.

Not sure I have access to any pics. I'll check and post them if I can find them.

GarbageJedi

This will only be my 2nd year riding with nesba and the only track that I've been on with them is Barber. So my experience is limited. That being said Barber has plenty of room for a truck trailer and 10x10 pop up. Most of the time you can even allow yourself space equivalent to another pop up for maneuvering room. I used a hand me down ez up until it fell apart last year and purchased another one on sale at walmart for 69$ with walls for $29. My brother and I do most track days together so I usually try to set up for two riders. We sleep in the pop up(with the bikes most of the time). We have even done it in the rain (highly recommend a cot to get you off the ground when it rains). I take a cooler with eats and drinks, plastic folding table/workbench, and small gas camp stove/grill. My bike stuff in in a couple of plastic bins for storage and portability. I bring a big fan in the summer and a propane heater when its cold. I haul all this with a navigator pulling a 5x8 trailer with no problem. I try to stay frugal so that I can maximize my track time based on a limited budget. If you need electricity and you plan on using a generator try to find a quiet one. Unfortunately mine is not quiet, so I have elected to just buy power at the track ($25/day at Barber). Most people are even happy to split the cost and share. I hope to buy an enclosed trailer w/ ac and bunks one day, but until then this works fine for me. As for packing, I always pack from a list. I will save you from having to walk through the paddock begging to borrow a pair of boots or something :eek: (brother forgot his once). As for a specific list of items dbakerpa's list is pretty close give/take a few items to what I bring.

trickyricky

dbakerpa;171410 wrote: +1 on the grill. I forgot that because I keep that and the microwave in the trailer. I also bring a computer with a few CDs with the favorite movies or tv shows.
As for the canopies I keep heavy duty tent spikes and a crow bar to remove them in the tool box.
:adore: This is no lie! This man moves to the track! :agree:

Lean.In.

Good stuff guys and gals. Im gonna keep looking for a pop up then, since the consensus is the one I listed sucks.

HondaGal, these photos are hosted at a website like Photobucket.com (what I personally use). It codes the pic with a URL in brackets like---->

Keep the pics coming! Bulldozers welcome.....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Lean.In.;171446 wrote: HondaGal, these photos are hosted at a website like Photobucket.com (what I personally use). It codes the pic with a URL in brackets like---->

Thanks, yup, I got an intro to photobucket. Looks like I'll need to start using it. I don't have any pictures of my pit setup, though. Thought I did. Oh well.....

j_fuggin_t

ride_hard;171414 wrote:
DSC00014.jpg

The only thing I own in this pit is my bike and a pitbull stand, but this is how Team Chouffe pits. Besides, whats the point of owning stuff when your friends have everything already? :rtfm:
ah ha that slow man.. making a cameo ;)

mattf

For me it depends on the event and how many buddies are going. If its just a few of us, we huddle up under my EZ up....but we've had track days where we've had 10 or more bikes all pitted together.....we can take up some room that way. When we do? We bring the grill along for a little pit lane tail gating.

Randal03r1

Control Rider
greeny;171396 wrote: if you ever think you're taking up too much space... just ask "wwradd" - what would randy and dean do? :D
and your a jackass. Let the bidding begin on Jordan's sleeping quarters!! Do I hear $1.00?

On a side note I do believe we are easy to find when people need to borrow tire pressure gauges and generators. Its not a greedy thing at all, its wanting to be part of Nesba's family and teaching others to be complete wackos!

Its 22 and snowing in Cincy!!! huh, spring yet?

ERB68

ride_hard;171414 wrote:
DSC00014.jpg

Thanks Grant, I could find any good pics of how we roll.

For a day I'm alone or with just one other, I set up 2 10x10's one for the bikes one for us.
For side curtains, just grab some cheap tarps from the hardware store and some zip ties - DONE.

Our drinking team with a racing problem is a funny group. :D

ERB68

Randal03r1;171470 wrote: and your a jackass. Let the bidding begin on Jordan's sleeping quarters!! Do I hear $1.00?

On a side note I do believe we are easy to find when people need to borrow tire pressure gauges and generators. Its not a greedy thing at all, its wanting to be part of Nesba's family and teaching others to be complete wackos!

If it helps, we made Jordan pit with us and my Packers canopies :D
(he is a die hard bear fan)

j_fuggin_t

Randal03r1;171470 wrote: and your a jackass. Let the bidding begin on Jordan's sleeping quarters!! Do I hear $1.00?

i'll give ya $2 ANNND even bring some potato chips :D

PJZOCC624

AU_R1;171356 wrote: That worked fine until the little monster you see in my avatar showed up. I need to pick up a small toy hauler this year so my little minion can chill in the A/C.

This is the one I have. Great RV for the size and price. 1/2 ton towable and you can fit 2 bikes (using the PitBull TRS). This will be my 3rd season with it and I've had no problems. Only gripe is lack of storage.

http://keystone-outback.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=230RS

Lean.In, you'll be fine with a 10x20. The DICK's ones are garbage. I bought 3... THREE last summer. (They were like $80 each). I'm down to 1. :banghead:

seatec

i saw one of those outbacks at jennings last year. very nice and easy bike load up. Nice rig

tittys04

PJZOCC17;171492 wrote: This is the one I have. Great RV for the size and price. 1/2 ton towable and you can fit 2 bikes (using the PitBull TRS). This will be my 3rd season with it and I've had no problems. Only gripe is lack of storage.

http://keystone-outback.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=230RS

Lean.In, you'll be fine with a 10x20. The DICK's ones are garbage. I bought 3... THREE last summer. (They were like $80 each). I'm down to 1. :banghead:
fool me once... shame you you, fool me twice... well... you just shouldn't fool me, it's not nice.

:haha:

bugmn20

daddyfriedrich;171387 wrote: I just wanna know who's bringing drums and a bass. I have the guitar and the PA system.

I got the drums

HondaGalToo;171407 wrote:
So, since we can't attach pictures, how are you guys embedding them? I assume you've got them hosted somewhere, then can click insert image and enter the URL? I don't have photos hosted anywhere, so I'll just have to describe....
I have been wondering this same thing for quite some time. Thanks for answering it for me!

greeny

j_fuggin_t;171479 wrote: i'll give ya $2 ANNND even bring some potato chips :D
haha you're gonna have to do better than that. i forget tons of good stuff in that camper every weekend. i bet dean is rockin' my gore-tex shoes in the snow as we speak. :D

ERB68;171473 wrote:
If it helps, we made Jordan pit with us and my Packers canopies :D
(he is a die hard bear fan)
correction: NEXT to. very close to, but definitely not "with". haha