Barber Info

JDog

stow;179688 wrote: I am pretty sure this is a Barber policy and not a NESBA policy. Barber is fairly strict with their rules and they are not likely to change.
Please see the last sentence of my original post. ;) I was afraid people would interpret my comments as a rant against NESBA; it's not, and I tried to make that clear. I'll try again... I understand NESBA is relaying Barber's rules and that we're lucky to even be there; just providing constructive, sensible feedback that would benefit all our members with no obvious detriment. Carry on, ride safe, and see you at Barber! :)

-J

stow

JDog;179699 wrote: Please see the last sentence of my original post. ;) I was afraid people would interpret my comments as a rant against NESBA; it's not, and I tried to make that clear. I'll try again... I understand NESBA is relaying Barber's rules and that we're lucky to even be there; just providing constructive, sensible feedback that would benefit all our members with no obvious detriment. Carry on, ride safe, and see you at Barber! :)

-J
I didn't take it as a rant against NESBA. Believe me I don't like the rule, and I am sure most NESBA members, CRs, and Directors don't like the rule. I was just relaying the fact that Barber is not going to budge on their rules. Some of them are pretty silly, but it is their sandbox.

I attended a California Superbike School event at Barber a couple of years ago and it was a logistic nightmare trying to get into that place. They wouldn't tell me when the gates would be open or when they would close the night before. They wouldn't let me camp in the pits in my RV. I also had to be out of the track by 6:00. This was all due to Barber management and not the Superbike School. NESBA has to pay Barber to allow us to stay in the pits and to allow us to enter and re-enter the track at will.

JRA

JDog;179699 wrote: Please see the last sentence of my original post. ;) I was afraid people would interpret my comments as a rant against NESBA; it's not, and I tried to make that clear. I'll try again... I understand NESBA is relaying Barber's rules and that we're lucky to even be there; just providing constructive, sensible feedback that would benefit all our members with no obvious detriment. Carry on, ride safe, and see you at Barber! :)

-J
It's Barber policy. We're lucky that even registered riders can get in after 9:00.

TeamBeer

So with this sillyness at Barber, if I am just riding Sunday will they let me in Saturday afternoon to setup my pit? I guess if they let spectators in, I should be ok.

JRA

TeamBeer;179840 wrote: So with this sillyness at Barber, if I am just riding Sunday will they let me in Saturday afternoon to setup my pit? I guess if they let spectators in, I should be ok.
If you are a registered rider you can get in. It doesn't matter what day you are registered for, you'll still be on the list.

This is not a new policy.

The bottom line is that if you have guests you need to be arrive during the time when they are allowed to sign in.

Lonewrench

stow;179689 wrote: Remember Westby is extremely fast and his bike as a lot more horsepower. So add up the horsepower acceleration and higher corner speeds and you get into the rev limiter fairly quick.
I would run 15-43 and call it love, If you want the best gear ratio,the best wheel base ect these are the numbers. It really doesnt have anything to do with the lap time. Its more about the over all set up of the gear box and wheel base. Just run it like I said with a 114 link chain. If running a 46-47 tooth sprocket were the way to go I think we would have done it.
This is just my opinion of course,my goal is to keep you guys on the track and doing laps, happy laps. Maybe sometime in the future we can all sit down and discuss what proper gearing is all about but to have the max fun with the best chance of improving your lap time and overall riding experience I will offer Dane Westby's R6 set up notes from the past three seasons to the S.E. Nesba guys. This WILL get you where you need to go.:rtfm:

speedfree

Lonewrench;179853 wrote: I would run 15-43 and call it love, If you want the best gear ratio,the best wheel base ect these are the numbers. It really doesnt have anything to do with the lap time. Its more about the over all set up of the gear box and wheel base. Just run it like I said with a 114 link chain. If running a 46-47 tooth sprocket were the way to go I think we would have done it.
This is just my opinion of course,my goal is to keep you guys on the track and doing laps, happy laps. Maybe sometime in the future we can all sit down and discuss what proper gearing is all about but to have the max fun with the best chance of improving your lap time and overall riding experience I will offer Dane Westby's R6 set up notes from the past three seasons to the S.E. Nesba guys. This WILL get you where you need to go.:rtfm:
:adore:Thanks a bunch, Chuck. Understand that I was in no way disputing the setup you suggested. I am new to this bike, and the Yamaha brand, so I have no idea the differences from one generation to the next.

My experience with gearing comes from racing shifter karts all over the Southeast, winning the series one year even! We always tried to gear for max power on the longest straight in sixth. It seems that since Barber doesn't have any long straights, the Pro guys are probably gearing to use all of fifth (or even only fourth), but never hit sixth, since that would make 1st and 2nd essentially unusable gears, and T5 is tight enough to be exactly a second gear corner if geared high enough.

I ride this bike on the street as well, and don't really want to depart too much from useful street gearing (maybe should have said that up front:eek:), so I'll probably gear it for getting off of T5 well enough and ride around the rest...I have a goal for laptimes, but I need to take my bike home in the same condition it arrived, so I don't really need a podium setup :D

/hijack

Matt

Lonewrench;179913 wrote: Right on man :) FYI Gearing notes for Current GSXR 600 and 1K 15-42 as well.
chain length?

I gotta find a smaller rear sprocket! bah, stock motor 600, i need some gear. i'm at 15/44 with stock chain length right now.

SeanAzzy

JRA;179410 wrote: There is a charge for the use of power. See one of the Barber attendants in the paddock to arrange for power when you arrive. There should be somebody there until at least 9:00 PM.
does anybody know how much it is for power for the weekend and if they have regular power hookups for tire warmers, fans, etc...not just rv/coach connections...thanks for any info

jcrich

SeanAzzy;180016 wrote: does anybody know how much it is for power for the weekend and if they have regular power hookups for tire warmers, fans, etc...not just rv/coach connections...thanks for any info
$25/day and they give you a box with 110 outlets.

dpullen

Lonewrench;179853 wrote: Maybe sometime in the future we can all sit down and discuss what proper gearing is all about but to have the max fun with the best chance of improving your lap time and overall riding experience I will offer Dane Westby's R6 set up notes from the past three seasons to the S.E. Nesba guys. This WILL get you where you need to go.:rtfm:
I would LOVE to have this discussion with you this weekend! I learned some surprising things last season about gearing that actually works well, and I suspect that I would be surprised even more after talking to you... :adore:

speedfree

dpullen;180069 wrote: I would LOVE to have this discussion with you this weekend! I learned some surprising things last season about gearing that actually works well, and I suspect that I would be surprised even more after talking to you... :adore:
...I would also like to get in on that session.

I took another look at the gearing you suggested, Chuck, and it's right between stock and my +2 rear, which makes me consider that by running the smaller diameter gears with the same chain length, what it' should do to chassis geometry is lengthen wheelbase by about 24mm(!!), and in so doing raise the rear ride height somewhat, which helps the bike transition. Longer & higher also add rear traction & help keep the front end on the ground, IIRC?

So that leads me to ask if you've got one of those fancy Vortex PTFE 43T sprockets in the trailer? :D I'd like to try both, just to see what it does to the bike's handling by making a single change.

TeamBeer

picture.php

sheepofblue

jcrich;180020 wrote: $25/day and they give you a box with 110 outlets.
Also if you want to be considerate; if all you need is 110 parking on the fence on tier one leaves the power poles on the second tier open for RV that need the 30/50AMP plugs that are unavailable on the fence (more important come the hot season).