Calling all NESBA Members!!!

andykurz

Kruizen;289909 wrote:
4. Dont schedule 2 track days for the same weekend that are less than 5hrs drive apart. You seem to be diluting the membership base between these events.
Excellent points all around, best I've seen yet. The above is especially true in the Mid-Atlantic. This year we had the addition of NYST as well as other organizations having some success at the reworked Pocono. Proximity is a huge draw, at least for me.

Executing on Kruizen's points will go a LONG way.

Lastly, I've been watching this thread for awhile and thought I would add: try to be positive here people (many are). This club is not "going down the tubes" and although there were a few issues this year, it has otherwise been a FANTASTIC season! Let's not lose the forest for the trees!

bpolunin

First, I just want to say that I am probably one of the newest members with NESBA, and it is HJ fault for bringing me to Barber in August ;). It was my first track day ever and I enjoyed it very much. I must say, I am hooked and looking for a dedicated track bike now. I love how organized NESBA event was and all the help offered by CR's, organizers, and riders around the paddock.
HJ, I agree with you 100% on the merchandising department. I think it would be that extra revenue for NESBA that even if an event doesn't fill up, they would not feel it as much. Besides, who would not want a NESBA T-Shirt or a hat to show off to their friends. An idea for a T-Shirt (you can make one design per year) is NESBA logo in front, and calender of events on back :). Like HJ said, walking billboard.

As for the Ellite membership, I don't think it needs to be scrapped, but even though I love the idea to be able to cancel right before the event due to weather or other reasons, I do think that needs to be scaled back. Maybe no cancellations 7 days out before the event.

But my real issue I think is NESBA simply does not do any kind of advertising to draw in more crowd. At least I have not seen NESBA name anywhere and I go to lots of motorcycle events. The program to bring 2 people and you ride for free is awesome, and I think is doable, but obviously not to every event. Being a VP of a riding club, and have access to many riders, I think it will be fairly easy for me to bring some new people, but many won't be able to.
But, again, if it wasn't for HJ, I probably would not even know about NESBA. Maybe spend a little more effort on SE optimization so you come up more on the top on google and other searches. For example, if I search "Southeast motorcycle track time" on google, NESBA doesn't even come up until page 13. No one looks thru 13 pages of search results.
Also start getting a booth setup at different bike events and specially bike shows that draw huge crowds.

Anyway, just a few points I wanted to bring up.

bpolunin

One more point I wanted to make was, since NESBA has Yamaha alliance, which is awesome, since Yamaha gives $350 credits towards track time with NESBA, how many of those people actually book track time? Maybe have some kind of program of committee that actually calls on those people. Just call some of those people and "remind" them of the credit and tell them all about NESBA and "a day at the track" and see if you can get them signed up. I'm sure there is a HUGE database of people that have this credit and never used it.

Nesba

bpolunin;289930 wrote: First, I just want to say that I am probably one of the newest members with NESBA, and it is HJ fault for bringing me to Barber in August ;). It was my first track day ever and I enjoyed it very much. I must say, I am hooked and looking for a dedicated track bike now. I love how organized NESBA event was and all the help offered by CR's, organizers, and riders around the paddock.
HJ, I agree with you 100% on the merchandising department. I think it would be that extra revenue for NESBA that even if an event doesn't fill up, they would not feel it as much. Besides, who would not want a NESBA T-Shirt or a hat to show off to their friends. An idea for a T-Shirt (you can make one design per year) is NESBA logo in front, and calender of events on back :). Like HJ said, walking billboard.

As for the Ellite membership, I don't think it needs to be scrapped, but even though I love the idea to be able to cancel right before the event due to weather or other reasons, I do think that needs to be scaled back. Maybe no cancellations 7 days out before the event.

But my real issue I think is NESBA simply does not do any kind of advertising to draw in more crowd. At least I have not seen NESBA name anywhere and I go to lots of motorcycle events. The program to bring 2 people and you ride for free is awesome, and I think is doable, but obviously not to every event. Being a VP of a riding club, and have access to many riders, I think it will be fairly easy for me to bring some new people, but many won't be able to.
But, again, if it wasn't for HJ, I probably would not even know about NESBA. Maybe spend a little more effort on SE optimization so you come up more on the top on google and other searches. For example, if I search "Southeast motorcycle track time" on google, NESBA doesn't even come up until page 13. No one looks thru 13 pages of search results.
Also start getting a booth setup at different bike events and specially bike shows that draw huge crowds.

Anyway, just a few points I wanted to bring up.
Are you well versed in SE optimization?

Nesba

bpolunin;289933 wrote: One more point I wanted to make was, since NESBA has Yamaha alliance, which is awesome, since Yamaha gives $350 credits towards track time with NESBA, how many of those people actually book track time? Maybe have some kind of program of committee that actually calls on those people. Just call some of those people and "remind" them of the credit and tell them all about NESBA and "a day at the track" and see if you can get them signed up. I'm sure there is a HUGE database of people that have this credit and never used it.
Yes we have a huge db with access to all Yamaha sales. Woudl you be interested in leading that charge to start calling people?

Emails are not really collected at the dealer level so snail mail or call is the only option. Snail mail is really expensive so that is not an option.

CBRtist

Ruhe52;289881 wrote: Perhaps its hanging out with your unicorns and rainbows? :D
I have since connected with my unicorn, and yes, it was lack of communication on unicorn's part. ;)

USMC_10;289918 wrote: I really thing we should formalize this somehow and present it to Bob for a decision. I'm not sure these posts are sufficient.
:agree: Ding ding ding!!! While the forum is great to toss around ideas and loosely brainstorm, it results in problems stated, but short on solution... or concentrating on fixing the immediate problem instead of the overhaul to fix the bigger problems. The overall "solution" seems to be to put countless (good) suggestions in a thread and then look to Bob to see what action he is going to take on the 14728343988 suggestions. A little overwhelming for one person no?

Reminds me of an excellent saying "Many hands make lighter work." At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am going to go back to what I suggested. Member Based Volunteer Committees. The premise? You want to make a difference in a certain area, you help by adding yourself to a committee and thinking of projects/solutions. It will enhance NESBA from a social aspect and members will feel less frustrated knowing that they can actively contribute to fixing a problem. Then instead of 14728343988 points getting thrown at one person... a group meets, throws out which ideas are going to fly, which are not, and THEN present the short list to Bob.

Kruizen;289926 wrote:
Would be happy to help in whatever way I can. You have my contact info.
Instead of contacting Bob or waiting for Bob to contact us, why don't we:

1) Exchange contact info amongst each other
2) Set up a forum where we can communicate (maybe a closed FaceBook group? Other suggestions?)
3) Brainstorm what committees need to be formed (marketing/advertising, new member services, etc.)
4) Start inviting people and promoting sign ups to said committees
5) Keep Bob in the loop and of course defer to him for approval

When this ^ happens, then Bob (and company) are able to focus on internal issues and how to improve in areas that are affecting the Club. I'M SURE there are wonderful things on the table to be considered internally that are GREAT, CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS, but Bob probably hasn't the time to seriously consider them and execute. :)

Kruizen;289909 wrote:

5. I don't really know why the regions are so polarized? We are all NESBA. Ive heard "I only ride x region" -don't know a fix for this.
I don't feel like they are SO polarized, but I do think that some segregation due to some regions requiring more TLC (*cough* MA).

I've been an "official" member for a year BUT I've been exclusively attending NESBA track events for years with my husband. It's a family affair now so I have a vested interest. I'm friendly to all and friends with few but the friends I've made are diverse. I've seen and heard a lot, people coming and going (some I want back), NESBA at it's best, NESBA at its not-so-best, bad days and good days, pride and egos, scandals...accidents...and death. Through it all, it's still here but there's always room for improvement and increasing NESBA pride and morale.

If anyone is interested in helping me try this out (along with my silent partner), you can PM me or email me: wendy (at) beherd (dot) com OR I can set up a forum to join. This project has been pre-approved by Bob (I believe?).

Til then, back to my unicorns and rainbows while 14728343988 posts start telling me why this won't work.

bpolunin

Bob, I would not say I am an expert. I do design websites and do make them SEO friendly and light SEO, but I am no expert an it. This is a field that is on it's own and takes lots of work to get good results.
I do see your website is designed by Square2marketing.com. They should be doing SEO for you on ongoing bases. That is what they do, marketing the websites. They use HubSpot to know what key words work and which don't and which once to add to the site and Meta tags. Looking at your Meta Tags on the site, I don't see much of key words there. All I see is "racetrack, race track, rider, riders, riding, sportbike, sportbikers". That is not enough in my opinion. Anyway, Square2marketing.com should be able to help since you are already paying for their services. Use them... I can definitely help in light optimization if needed. At least it can't be worst then it already is ;).

Nesba;289934 wrote: Are you well versed in SE optimization?

bpolunin

Bob,
I would not be opposed to helping out leading the "telemarketing" group, but it would definitely need to be a group. I will be honest, I don't have much time between work, family with 2 small kids, and all other hobbies I am into. So if we can get a group of 6+ people, maybe 2-3 from different regions, that would be ideal. Break up the list into those regions, and call on people within 100-150 miles of the next event.
And I will be honest, as I said, I am VERY new to track and would not really know how to "advertise" track riding. But all that can be discussed. Come up with key words and phrases and such.

Anyway, I'll send you my contact info in PM, and we can go from there.
Or as CBRtist stated, maybe we should just create a Member Based Volunteer Committees, put together the different committees needed, members sign up to whatever committee they are interested in helping with, and go from there.

Nesba;289935 wrote: Yes we have a huge db with access to all Yamaha sales. Woudl you be interested in leading that charge to start calling people?

Emails are not really collected at the dealer level so snail mail or call is the only option. Snail mail is really expensive so that is not an option.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Wendy, 99% of the suggestions I posted are simply admin functions that are 2 late for this year.

It's too bad that nesba is headquartered in PA. I would have applied for bob o old job. I can spin my wheels all day, but without a direction from Bob as to what he needs/wants assistance with I don't like wasting time. It looks like he does want someone with search engine optimization to help, I only have experience with click ads(google/bing) but those need a budget set. So without a budget or him saying this is what I need-who can do this?

Committees are good, but said committe has no authority, budget, etc. I still hold firm that a majority of the recent unrest is poor planning/communication, change of season pms, etc. but as I said earlier I don't know the financial health of nesba. Maybe it really is going down hill and needs a major membership drive, or just limit he number of track days next year so turn out is maximized.

CBRtist

Kruizen;289947 wrote: Wendy, 99% of the suggestions I posted are simply admin functions that are 2 late for this year.

It's too bad that nesba is headquartered in PA. I would have applied for bob o old job. I can spin my wheels all day, but without a direction from Bob as to what he needs/wants assistance with I don't like wasting time. It looks like he does want someone with search engine optimization to help, I only have experience with click ads(google/bing) but those need a budget set. So without a budget or him saying this is what I need-who can do this?

Committees are good, but said committe has no authority, budget, etc. I still hold firm that a majority of the recent unrest is poor planning/communication, change of season pms, etc. but as I said earlier I don't know the financial health of nesba. Maybe it really is going down hill and needs a major membership drive, or just limit he number of track days next year so turn out is maximized.
I don't disagree with you. Only Bob can answer the internal questions. Only he (and company) can fix internal issues. Fabulous, wonderful suggestions might be brought to him HOW to best go about this, but at the end of the day, it's his call.

It's like the saying "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." All I'm trying to do is try to make a difference in a small area instead of attacking all the issues (half of which we have no control over) as a whole... or worse yet, doing N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

It sounds like, from what Bob is repeatedly posting, that he is prepared to support/authorize/communicate in whatever capacity for what is being presented but he needs to be presented with a PLAN. Maybe once that happens, then budget requests could be considered. Chicken. Egg.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
All I know is that I want to make NESBA swag easier for everyone to get. Trying to formulate a plan to make this possible before shooting the idea over to Bob. If anyone wants to help me organize this, I'll be glad to work with you.

motorkas

Ruhe52;289731 wrote: Or we could just sign up for events and not wuss out when it rains so the event can take place.
Kill Elite membership and go back to it being earned not bought I think I paid about $3500 for my first elite membership by riding the required amount of days that now gets sold for $200. Either go back to go forward or make the price something realistic. For the privilege of signing up late and bailing last min the value is waaaaay more than $200.

Seriously the enthusiasm here is great but butts on bikes at the track is a way easier solution then no need for a cancellation policy.
I really like the idea of Elite membership being earned as well - would be a great compromise and fit right in with the NESBA ethos of everything being the result of hard work and earned. . .people can still get the benefits of the program, but they have to work for it.....always a fan of that!!!!!!!

From a business standpoint, maybe having an option of a "one time Elite buy program" could be advantageous, for both new and established members alike. For example, you only get one time to "buy" the elite membership - it's up to the member to chose when to exercise this option - it could be that they did 20 days in 2011 but in 2012 they had twins, and could only do 6 days but now that the twins are older, they can do their 20 days again in 2013 and they exercise it then. Or it could be a first time member who buys it for their first year - but after that - they can't buy it again - has to be 12 days or more moving forward - the initial discounted "buy in" accelerates their ability to do 12 days immediately, having it tied to the 12 days moving forward assures butts at the tracks in the future and it benefits the old guard as well in case "life happens" to a season. . .(could also throw in a provision that if you do 5 years in a row (or total) of "earning" Elite, that you reset your option to "buy Elite". . .). . .just spit balling out loud:)

According to your post above I have plenty of funds. Why work?
One of my all time favorite quotes "very few people realize how difficult it is to make something look easy. . ."

keep making it look easy brother. . .;)