Calling all NESBA Members!!!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't know enough people interested in the track to bring two new members to every event. That's a great program, but it's not going to sustain your events. I'm thinking the reason it wasn't taken advantage of is just that: most of us would be hard-pressed to bring one new member to one event per year. There's no way the majority of us can bring two new people to every event attended.

I don't even know of any bike nights near me that attract quality sportbike riders who would be interested in the track.

I agree with RADAR's comments.

It's really hard to say why there's been such a low turnout this year. Rainy summer? Economy? I think other clubs are also having the same problem.

z064life

HondaGalToo;289630 wrote: I don't know enough people interested in the track to bring two new members to every event. That's a great program, but it's not going to sustain your events. I'm thinking the reason it wasn't taken advantage of is just that: most of us would be hard-pressed to bring one new member to one event per year. There's no way the majority of us can bring two new people to every event attended.

I agree with RADAR's comments.

It's really hard to say why there's been such a low turnout this year. Rainy summer? Economy? I think other clubs are also having the same problem.
i got got 8 new members since barber last year :D I love that program

But you are right in that I don't bring 2 new members to every event..and my circle is getting smaller to pull in new ones as well.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
z064life;289631 wrote: i got got 8 new members since barber last year :D I love that program

But you are right in that I don't bring 2 new members to every event..and my circle is getting smaller to pull in new ones as well.
You're in the minority. I don't know that many people. I'm thinking I'm in the majority. Glad it worked for you. Believe me, if I could find the people, I'd take advantage.

z064life

HondaGalToo;289633 wrote: You're in the minority. I don't know that many people. I'm thinking I'm in the majority. Glad it worked for you. Believe me, if I could find the people, I'd take advantage.
Judy, you are right...and it wasn't "free" I got new members because I am heavily invested in equipment to bring them (5 bike trailer + tow vehicle)...my tow vehicle is starting to decline and new ones are 50k+. I can guarantee I'm in the minority that can take advantage only because I don't see many that have the ability to bring many extra bikes with them to the track which makes it harder to convince someone to go. With my friends it is...get your bike to my place (or somewhere on the way). I'll do the rest.

Most don't mind the $200-$250 for all food, drinks, hotel (or camping), gas for the entire weekend. With nothing for them to have to worry about (just bike and gear).

Nesba;289625 wrote: I know exactly what it takes, more people. Again its real simple, it truly is.

We have created a program to reward everyone who brings people to us and very few take advantage of it.

Bring two you ride for free...NO ONE else does this. If every member went to a bike night and sold this program 1/3 of the full event would be free riders and 2/3 would be paying riders. That 2/3 pays for the event.

This club is what the members make of it. This is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT we have so many advantages at our fingertips. We have very low margins needed to pay expenses. The more people we get to our events the lower the prices can be.

If you want to get more involved PLEASE do it...i will be more than willing to help you. You DO NOT have to be a CR to help. The more you give the more you get.
Bob,

While I wholly agree that in your business it take a certain number of people to make a successful event, it also takes diversity within that business to keep the books in the black during challenging times like these. I have dedicated many years to very detailed research focusing on trends in different industries. Those businesses that have diverse models that include revenues from related services/sales are the strongest and most enduring models out there.

I have inquired several times about taking on merchandising for NESBA. Merchandising can provide a steady stream of income and cash flow throughout the entire year. Internet sales can expand the NESBA name and related products to a global level. Business contracts can be written to assure both sides of success and limit liabilities. I am willing to entirely fund and manage this venture to help both NESBA and myself. I am approaching retirement and would like to continue the direction I've taken with my later years, and can devote time, energy, infrastructure, and funds to make this happen.

You said to come not just with a problem but with a solution. This won't cure the lack of participation, but it will create revenue, expand advertising, and bring more attention to NESBA and what NESBA provides. That advertising alone will create more interest and potentially more participants. Every t-shirt is a mobile billboard, every bumper sticker a moving banner, every potential customer is a potential tracker, I know you see that.

HJ

Nesba

hurricanejohn;289636 wrote: Bob,

While I wholly agree that in your business it take a certain number of people to make a successful event, it also takes diversity within that business to keep the books in the black during challenging times like these. I have dedicated many years to very detailed research focusing on trends in different industries. Those businesses that have diverse models that include revenues from related services/sales are the strongest and most enduring models out there.

I have inquired several times about taking on merchandising for NESBA. Merchandising can provide a steady stream of income and cash flow throughout the entire year. Internet sales can expand the NESBA name and related products to a global level. Business contracts can be written to assure both sides of success and limit liabilities. I am willing to entirely fund and manage this venture to help both NESBA and myself. I am approaching retirement and would like to continue the direction I've taken with my later years, and can devote time, energy, infrastructure, and funds to make this happen.

You said to come not just with a problem but with a solution. This won't cure the lack of participation, but it will create revenue, expand advertising, and bring more attention to NESBA and what NESBA provides. That advertising alone will create more interest and potentially more participants. Every t-shirt is a mobile billboard, every bumper sticker a moving banner, every potential customer is a potential tracker, I know you see that.

HJ
Lets do it!

Call me any time to discuss

Nesba

HondaGalToo;289633 wrote: You're in the minority. I don't know that many people. I'm thinking I'm in the majority. Glad it worked for you. Believe me, if I could find the people, I'd take advantage.
I dont think he is the minority. There are bike nights and clubs all over the place, it just takes a little digging...simple google search would do it. For instance, search for "bike nights near somerset nj" tons and tons of people near somerset that could provide you with a unlimited supply of free track time.

One of the issues are we(NESBA) tries to get people off the street and on the track, but after we do that we leave the street. We lose those connections we had while we were on the street.

It is not that hard to find people who are like minded, i just cant go to every sportbike event or bike night or ride that happens. But if i give you the tools to help sell the product with some incentive and a benefit for you all it takes is a little leg work on your end to get free track time. As soon as you turn them on to the track inform them that you rode for free because they showed up at the track and they will market the program for NESBA.

You believe in track riding and doing this in a safe environment, this is why you started JUST LIKE ME!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Nesba;289639 wrote: I dont think he is the minority. There are bike nights and clubs all over the place, it just takes a little digging...simple google search would do it. For instance, search for "bike nights near nj" tons and tons of people near warren that could provide you with a unlimited supply of free track time.

One of the issues are we(NESBA) tries to get people off the street and on the track, but after we do that we leave the street. We lose those connections we had while we were on the street.

It is not that hard to find people who are like minded, i just cant go to every sportbike event or bike night or ride that happens. But if i give you the tools to help sell the product with some incentive and a benefit for you all it takes is a little leg work on your end to get free track time. As soon as you turn them on to the track inform them that you rode for free because they showed up at the track and they will market the program for NESBA.

You believe in track riding and doing this in a safe environment, this is why you started JUST LIKE ME!
He admitted he's in the minority, and he has a way to help those new folks get to the track, he can transport them. I can't do that, unfortunately. I'll keep at it, but sometimes it's a hard sell when they've got the bike, but no appropriate gear and transportation.

Nesba

HondaGalToo;289647 wrote: He admitted he's in the minority, and he has a way to help those new folks get to the track, he can transport them. I can't do that, unfortunately. I'll keep at it, but sometimes it's a hard sell when they've got the bike, but no appropriate gear and transportation.

Again sounds like opportunity to me not a road block. Rental gear is at the track and you can ride your bike there if you want.

You and i both know, as soon as they get the taste of the track they wont want to go back.

If they are waiver tell them we have an intro program two session for free then if they sign up you get a credit in your account.

NESBA has the tools for you guys to help sell.

HondaGalToo;289647 wrote: He admitted he's in the minority, and he has a way to help those new folks get to the track, he can transport them. I can't do that, unfortunately. I'll keep at it, but sometimes it's a hard sell when they've got the bike, but no appropriate gear and transportation.
I was born and raised in a farming community. Instead of every farm buying costly equipment that mostly sat around rusting after the crops were harvested, several farms entered into a cooperative agreement. Everybody would fund a portion of the cost of the high dollar least used equipment, two or three farms would store the stuff, and every farm that had contributed to the purchase had equal use time when needed. That required some planting schedule changes so that every plot of cotton or soybeans didn't require harvesting at the same exact time, and it took a little time to sort out service/repair costs and such, but it served us well for many years.

Individually we all have a certain amount of $$ that we can spend - collectively we all have greater buying power. If we did a fundraiser (not necessarily through NESBA) and earmarked those funds to do something like z064life has done, it could benefit NESBA and grow the family as well.

Just a thought.........

HJ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
hurricanejohn;289655 wrote: I was born and raised in a farming community. Instead of every farm buying costly equipment that mostly sat around rusting after the crops were harvested, several farms entered into a cooperative agreement. Everybody would fund a portion of the cost of the high dollar least used equipment, two or three farms would store the stuff, and every farm that had contributed to the purchase had equal use time when needed. That required some planting schedule changes so that every plot of cotton or soybeans didn't require harvesting at the same exact time, and it took a little time to sort out service/repair costs and such, but it served us well for many years.

Individually we all have a certain amount of $$ that we can spend - collectively we all have greater buying power. If we did a fundraiser (not necessarily through NESBA) and earmarked those funds to do something like z064life has done, it could benefit NESBA and grow the family as well.

Just a thought.........

HJ
Not sure what you're suggesting? That some folks chip in and buy a big trailer for transportation of new riders to nesba events? Or nesba buys some thru fundraisers that can be used as transport?

HondaGalToo;289657 wrote: Not sure what you're suggesting? That some folks chip in and buy a big trailer for transportation of new riders to nesba events? Or nesba buys some thru fundraisers that can be used as transport?
Just throwing out ideas and thinking out loud Judy - that's all. I can't afford a $10,000 rig to sit around all year and only take me to a few events - very few people other than Ruhe can:eek:. But if that rig is beneficial to 20 people, and those 20 agree to buy that rig either out of pocket or through fundraising, then that $10,000 cost to me now is only $500. If that same group agrees to throw in $20 per month to support that purchase, then that's another $400 per month for insurance and maintenence. There are plenty of trucks that we already own spread out from Richmond to New Orleans that can pull the asset. We'd have to give a little time and a little more effort to make it work, but nothing worth having comes without a little skin in the game;)

Just trying to show how we collectively can overcome many obstacles that we might face individually.

We've raised over $60,000 in two years for airfence. I don't think anybody expected that but collectively we all did it. I don't think anything is impossible for this org and it's members.

HJ

Ruhe52

Would this group purchase be by the same people that don't sign up because of a late fee?

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

Ruhe52;289662 wrote: Would this group purchase be by the same people that don't sign up because of a late fee?
Ah, there you are. I was wondering when you would jump back in. Aren't you supposed to be working?

HJ

Ruhe52;289667 wrote: According to your post above I have plenty of funds. Why work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I see your point - I heard somebody tell a good friend of mine one day that he can't hide money. However, as to the substance of the thread, I noticed a couple of events back that you brought Chuck's stuff to the track because he was having issues with his ride. I'm sure you would have prefered to come as you normally do, but you didn't. You reached out and helped a friend in need, and it came at a cost (I know you won't admit it but it did). You also sacrificed so that NESBA and all of us could have tire/suspension service at the event, which otherwise might not have been available.

If we collectively can carry on what you did (and do) for your friends, for NESBA, and for us, what can't we do?

Just sayin'.......

HJ

willhf1011

Ruhe52;289587 wrote:
There is a standard our members expect at an event and as far as I have seen when we run an event you get that product.

I'm relatively new to the organization, but I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've attended two NESBA events and they've been run spectacularly. It's how the events that dont get run are handled that has been the target of complaints

That said, as a newcomer without any real stake in the organization yet, I was really disappointed with the way the cancelled events have been handled so far. I was signed up for both JC and Summit and was really looking forward to riding them. I'm not here to complain about the fact that they were cancelled, because I understand that it needs to be financially sensible for NESBA to run the day. I'm unhappy with lack of communication and established procedure regarding the cancellations.

Less than a week before JC, a thread popped up on the forum saying it was cancelled. Shortly after, an email stating that more riders were needed for Main and SED's to keep those events open. The email made sense, and was a great idea, but a weeks notice for a weekday is really hard. At this point, there should have been an established procedure regarding lack of attendance for an event. Maybe something to this effect:

-If attendance is looking short for an event at the 15 day (late signup for regular members), send out an email to the individuals signed up for the event letting them know that. Very much like what was done for Main (though not for JC) except with more time. If I had known 2 weeks in advance I think I could have twisted some arms and made some deals to get more people out, but less than a week was really hard. It must have been known 2 weeks out that attendance was looking bad, why not let us know then? I understand that a lot of Elite members wait until the last minute to sign up, but the organization has a history of events that they can look at trending numbers (for example at the 2 week mark) and make educated assumptions about numbers.

-If an event is cancelled, make sure the email goes out to everyone. I understand computer errors happen, but there needs to be a system of checks in place to make sure that the information doesn't fall through the cracks. As was mentioned if Bob hadn't sent that email about JC on Friday, someone who doesn't religiously check the forum might not have known the event was cancelled at all. While it's rare that someone wouldn't either: a)Check the forum at some point in the week leading up or b)Know someone who does who might let them know...if it happens once it is totally unacceptable. That wouldn't be an "oops" moment to have a paid member
drive all the way to the track expecting to ride because nobody confirmed whether the auto email system worked right. If there is even a hint that someone didn't get the email, it should be looked at immediately, or just resent, 2 emails is better than none.

-This one is hard, and maybe unrealistic, but there needs to be a "All Systems Go" point for a track day. This wondering and hoping up until 12 hours before you would be leaving for the event is just silly. I know in the case of Main it was either that or have it cancelled earlier, but if earlier notice were given that attendance was low, and earlier deadline for the decision could've been made. It'd be great if there could be a point where if an event hasn't been cancelled XX days before its date, you can be assured that it's not going to get cancelled out from under you for anything less than an emergency
. Obviously things can always come up, and that needs to be accounted for, but If I'm planning on riding on Sunday and haven't been contacted to tell me it's cancelled, or in danger of being cancelled by Thursday (the case with anyone not on the forum for JC) it's not unreasonable for me to assume that it's going to happen and plan my whole weekend around it.

There has also been a lot of discussion of (and remarks towards those discussing) late fees. I really wanted to ride this past weekend. I'm a student and work weekends and planned both of those aspects of my life around being at summit this past weekend.

When JC was cancelled, and Main was looking like it was going to be as well, I asked about the potential of signing up for NCBIKE and having the late fee waived. This curiosity was echoed by more than one other member. The question was repeatedly asked, and continued to be ignored. An answer one way or another would be appropriate.

At this point, it isn't about the cost of the late fee, its the principal and the idea behind it. I understand the need for it, and the way it is currently implemented is very appropriate. However, when an event that I have already paid for gets cancelled with such short notice and I ask to give you that money right back to ride another event that is already a go, I think waiving the late fee is very reasonable.

The late fee exists as an incentive/fine to help NESBA plan accordingly for an event. In the case of this past weekend, someone who had signed up for the cancelled events on time and still wanted to ride, would be penalized by this system, which doesn't make sense to me. If it doesn't seem reasonable to the powers that be, then tell us that you won't do that, just don't ignore the question. Again, in terms of established policy so people know what to expect:

-If an event is cancelled within the 15 day late fee period, offer to waive the late fee for any events that are also already within that 15 day window. Don't waive late fees for the season, but if you cancel and I would still like to ride/give you my money for that or the following weekend, don't penalize me for that. (read "me" as any non-elite member). As I said, it's the principal, not the dollars.

The common theme here is communication, most of us were really in the dark about what was going on with this summit fiasco. A lot of people offered to pay more to keep the day going and that was also not addressed.

I understand that everyone is busy, but it isn't fair to suggest that the time wasted by all of us trying to make plans for the track day/adjusting weekend plans/wondering whether the day will be cancelled/waiting to see if our questions will be answered is any less valuable than someone taking the time to address those things.

I hope no one is offended by this. I'm not attacking anyone or trying to complain for no reason. I really enjoy riding with NESBA and plan to continue to do so. I'm hoping to get at least 2 more days in this year and will likely buy an elite membership for next year because I plan to do more than just 4. My thoughts above are suggestions or ideas on how I feel the organization that I am a part of could be improved. I can work on improving on my end - signing up for more days, further in advance etc - I'm just throwing out ideas on how NESBA itself can be improved.

Also, I think NESBA swag would be awesome, I would love to buy some shirts, hoodies, stickers, etc.

CBRtist

I'm having déjà vu. Didn't we do all this before? :confused:

You know... the thread with the great ideas. Defensiveness getting thrown around. People volunteering and offering time. Some people busting their ass to make concrete things happen to just hit a wall :banghead:

There's tons more, but debating it on the forum openly never leads to anything constructive. Better to have a more intimate discussion with those who really want to help, make a difference and come with a "to do" list.

It has to be an organized effort. I had suggested volunteer committees. If they were permitted and trusted to function, it could do a World of good.

Until then I'm just going to ride dreaming of unicorns, rainbows and the skies opening up and showering money down... because that always works. Right? :)

Nesba

CBRtist;289678 wrote: I'm having déjà vu. Didn't we do all this before? :confused:

You know... the thread with the great ideas. Defensiveness getting thrown around. People volunteering and offering time. Some people busting their ass to make concrete things happen to just hit a wall :banghead:

There's tons more, but debating it on the forum openly never leads to anything constructive. Better to have a more intimate discussion with those who really want to help, make a difference and come with a "to do" list.

It has to be an organized effort. I had suggested volunteer committees. If they were permitted and trusted to function, it could do a World of good.

Until then I'm just going to ride dreaming of unicorns, rainbows and the skies opening up and showering money down... because that always works. Right? :)
All for it...lets get it started. No walls lets go!