Confession: Road atlanta close calls

7-FITTY

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAD A CLOSE CALL LAST WEEKEND AND WOULD LIKE TO SHARE HERE IS MINE: GOING INTO T-5 SOMEONE IN FRONT OF ME MISSED A SHIFT OR SOMETHING I LOCKED THE FRONT CROSSED UP THE BIKE RAN OUT TO THE CURB BUT MANAGED TO KEEP IT ON RUBBER--AND I ALSO CLIPPED THE CURB AT T-12 EXPERIENCE A LATERAL SLIDE WHEN BOTH WHEELS TOUCHED BACK DOWN THANKS MY KNEE WAS PLANTED WHAT SAVED ME THERE :wow:

snikwad

Damn. That's some crazy stuff.
Well on saturday morning I felt the front wheel do a slight push going into T3 chicane, while tipping in to go right. I blame incorrect pressure and cold tire for that one.
Then a few sessions later I went thru T5 and was off the line, maybe enough to squeeze 2 bike between myself and the curb, and I hit a bump, that made the bike do a double gallop, I was bouncing in the seat and scared as hell, but she stayed planted, I later asked that one CR with the european accent about that and he said, stay inside the apex and I won't hit it, sure enough I never felt it again.
Then on sunday I felt a small 2 wheel drift while tipping into the Left hand downhil turn after T3.

That's it for me, between that bump in T5, the slip in T3 and my bike feeling totally foreign to me, I had a hard time being confident enough to go fast all weekend. Still, I learned a lot and still had fun, and most important, I came home in 1pc, me and my bike and both my partners.

aowens2

I put her in the grass coming up the hill into turn 2, made it all the way to the wall and layed down just in time to rest on the haybail. I chose the haybail because that wall just didn't look like where I wanted to be. Got that ass back up and on the track like it was goin outta style, Took it back in and scraped all the dirt off and was good to go next session balls to tha wall.

I will say this, ROAD ATLANTA DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH RUN OFF ROOM FOR BIKES. Fun as hell track though.

maverick1970

I had a couple close calls. 1st was on the first session Sunday before the track had warmed up. My front tire did a slight push coming out of turn 10b and almost caused me to low side, and 2nd I later had an issue with my left grips losing the retention bolts. Other than that, it was a very successful day for me...

Mr.DJ

snikwad;47288 wrote: ......, I later asked that one CR with the european accent about that and he said, stay inside the apex and I won't hit it, sure enough I never felt it again.

LOL - That would be "Croc Hunter" Plimmer :D #361 R1

PITZER

Well there was this guy on a Blue GSXR 750 #207 that stuffed me going into T-4 and stood me up. So I chased him down and was going to return the favor in 10A...when I went into the brake zone, I went deep to get the position, when I grabbed the brakes the lever when to the bar and I didn't slow down.:dunno: The millisecond it took to pump the brake I missed the turn in point then locked the front. I checkup to keep from T-Boning him, collect things and made the corner.

Sorry to #31 Blue GSXR that was behind me.

#207 Floyd, I owe you one and Barber is coming up....:flipoff:

justariot66

Geez you guys are sliding the front and t-boning, pitzer getting someone back at 10A! WOW next time I get meatballed for stupidity I got all your names and numbers!

Anyway all kidding aside I cant wait to ride, Barber cant get here fast enough.
Never been there but so looking forward to it.

Dave #66

stow

PITZER;47360 wrote: Well there was this guy on a Blue GSXR 750 #207 that stuffed me going into T-4 and stood me up. So I chased him down and was going to return the favor in 10A...when I went into the brake zone, I went deep to get the position, when I grabbed the brakes the lever when to the bar and I didn't slow down.:dunno: The millisecond it took to pump the brake I missed the turn in point then locked the front. I checkup to keep from T-Boning him, collect things and made the corner.

The blue gixxer was steph1000.

I seem to recall Floyd trying to collect a few people in the A group in 10A. He got all sideways with one guy in front of him and another coming around the outside. It was fun to watch. I was like oh this isn't going to be pretty, but everyone held it together and continued on.

My big pucker moment was when I was trying to keep steph1000 behind me. I entered turn one a little hot and both front and rear tires were sliding. The whole bike was drifting. It was kind of cool but the guy in front of me ran wide and slowed up and our paths started to intersect. I couldn't do anything but wait. My bike finally hooked up and I was able to pick the bike up before we became one. I don't know who the other rider was but he had grey leathers with something flapping on them and he was wearing the black and yellow AGV Rossi Gothic Helmet. steph100 proceeded to pass me and leave me all alone for the rest of the session.

Oh and i took a ride down the old pit road for old times sake. Thanks Dave. I was so close to catching you, but it wasn't going to happen in turn 12.

All in all it was a blast.

Bearsfirehawk

I had no close calls, just one high side coming outta Turn 10B up the hill. First lap of the afternoon session on Sunday. Unfortunately the sides of the tires werent up to temp. Kinda sucked.

steph1000

PITZER;47360 wrote: Well there was this guy on a Blue GSXR 750 #207 that stuffed me going into T-4 and stood me up. So I chased him down and was going to return the favor in 10A...when I went into the brake zone, I went deep to get the position, when I grabbed the brakes the lever when to the bar and I didn't slow down.:dunno: The millisecond it took to pump the brake I missed the turn in point then locked the front. I checkup to keep from T-Boning him, collect things and made the corner.

hehehe...that was my close call for me ! i was right behind you when you lost your brake pad or something like that...never braked so hard in my life...im surprised you still made that turn most people would have ran straight,good job on making that turn:)

steph1000

stow;47507 wrote: The blue gixxer was steph1000.

I seem to recall Floyd trying to collect a few people in the A group in 10A. He got all sideways with one guy in front of him and another coming around the outside. It was fun to watch. I was like oh this isn't going to be pretty, but everyone held it together and continued on.

My big pucker moment was when I was trying to keep steph1000 behind me. I entered turn one a little hot and both front and rear tires were sliding. The whole bike was drifting. It was kind of cool but the guy in front of me ran wide and slowed up and our paths started to intersect. I couldn't do anything but wait. My bike finally hooked up and I was able to pick the bike up before we became one. I don't know who the other rider was but he had grey leathers with something flapping on them and he was wearing the black and yellow AGV Rossi Gothic Helmet. steph100 proceeded to pass me and leave me all alone for the rest of the session.

Oh and i took a ride down the old pit road for old times sake. Thanks Dave. I was so close to catching you, but it wasn't going to happen in turn 12.
All in all it was a blast.
definately fun to watch you slide the whole bike...i wanna try that too it looks cool!!!:D..thanks to good feedback from derek the tire guy by sunday afternnon i was running a steady 1m37s pace and a few high 36s...too bad we wont make it to that track again cause i loved it..oh well once is better than never...:rolleyes:

Cliff#11

went over the hill alittle hot and came into t12 fast and started banging gears down.. and a little green light caught my eye.. let the clutch out and was in 1st gear going fast into the turn with no room left so.. I think "hey, I'll just pull in the cluch.. Roll half way through bang it up twice and let it out.. Big mistake.. I'm the proud own of the 8 foot skid mark in turn 12 that threw me into a highside and nearly off the bike.. after it settles down and a few tank slaps.. I look up and a control rider is looking back at me from the straight throwing his hands in the air cheering at me like I just hit a walk-off home run in game 7 of the world series. I learned 2 things.. 1. that fork tubes look really funny upside down, and. 2) letting the clutch out while banked over in a turn causes bike instability! :doh:

I wish I knew who the CR was.. I talked to him in the pit area but he still had his helmet on.. He was spanish maybe? not sure.

jasonhise

Cliff#11;47643 wrote: went over the hill alittle hot and came into t12 fast and started banging gears down.. and a little green light caught my eye.. let the clutch out and was in 1st gear going fast into the turn with no room left so.. I think "hey, I'll just pull in the cluch.. Roll half way through bang it up twice and let it out.. Big mistake.. I'm the proud own of the 8 foot skid mark in turn 12 that threw me into a highside and nearly off the bike.. after it settles down and a few tank slaps.. I look up and a control rider is looking back at me from the straight throwing his hands in the air cheering at me like I just hit a walk-off home run in game 7 of the world series. I learned 2 things.. 1. that fork tubes look really funny upside down, and. 2) letting the clutch out while banked over in a turn causes bike instability! :doh:

I wish I knew who the CR was.. I talked to him in the pit area but he still had his helmet on.. He was spanish maybe? not sure.
I was wondering when you were going to fess up to that, nice save though...:adore:

snikwad

man, that whole weekend was a blast. our started off really badly, but besides losing the water pump in our truck, 550+ miles from home, in a strnage town, it was a wicked weekend. the drive back was uggghhhhh awful tho, that alone may keep us away fro a while

wolfchimneyrock

my close call was on friday afternoon ... checkered flag lap, coming up to turn 10A I start to apply brakes and all of a sudden the front end goes and I slide on my back for what seems like forever ... I got home and found my rotors were cooked blue and my pads were toast ... moral of the story: replace pads often :doh:

Thanks DJ and Derek and Jeff for helping me out

aronhalt

Amazing how time seems to slow down for the fast guys! If this had happened to me, it would have went something like this:

"Well there was this guy on a Blue GSXR 750 #207 that stuffed me going into T-4.....next thing I know is that my rear end is hot and I notice that I need to clean my chain guard as my bike passes me.":doh:

Good stories guys. Can't wait to get on the track in the Mid West.