Confession: Road atlanta close calls

626suzuki

Anybody know what a good I time is at RA. I wasnt the fastest guy in B but I cant tell you how many times I almost hit someone thats parked in the turns.

jasonhise

626suzuki;47747 wrote: Anybody know what a good I time is at RA. I wasnt the fastest guy in B but I cant tell you how many times I almost hit someone thats parked in the turns.
I was running 1:47's when able to get through the traffic and around 1:50 when I was held up some, I was in the "B" group Friday and Saturday. I'd be willing to say I dipped a little lower, but I stopped running my lap timer the last two sessions on Saturday.

snikwad

626suzuki;47747 wrote: Anybody know what a good I time is at RA. I wasnt the fastest guy in B but I cant tell you how many times I almost hit someone thats parked in the turns.
i did a couple 1.48s when i had some good laps, but i was far from the fastest in the group. but def wasnt the slowest.
On the laps i did those times i didnt get passed, and passed quite a few guys.

626suzuki

The best I could get on an almost clean lap was a 1:55. I just feel there is really no way to see what you can do if you keep having to wait on someone else. I also need a little advise on how close is to close when passing on the brakes (B class) ? I can really get a run on some people there but in the straights if we are an even match I'm S**T out of luck.:doh:

1ghiaman

Seems like the B pace was high 40's and up. I group was low to mid 40's and A in the 30's. How the hell maladin runs 25's....I have no idea. :adore:

snikwad

1ghiaman;47878 wrote: Seems like the B pace was high 40's and up. I group was low to mid 40's and A in the 30's. How the hell maladin runs 25's....I have no idea. :adore:
i asked this on saturday.... i just cant comprehend where or how those guys make that kind of time.

Cliff#11

1ghiaman;47878 wrote: Seems like the B pace was high 40's and up. I group was low to mid 40's and A in the 30's. How the hell maladin runs 25's....I have no idea. :adore:
Same thing at VIR North.. I did a cornerspeed event on Monday/Tuesday after a WERA weekend. I was impressed watching them run mid 1:30's, low 1:40's:popcorn:. And then I seen Robert Jensen run 3 lap's that were in the 1:27's. I was at T4 and It looked like he was on a hinge coming around there. Then I seen him coming down the "Roller Coaster" and my jaw just fell out:wow:! Top AMA guys are running 1:23's-1:24's. That's just amazing to me.

lindr6

:doh:I had problems keeping the front down on Saturday started to play with suspension later in the day not soon enough. Sunday got it right the first time didn't feel to many bumps. Thanks to the CR on the Blue r1 hook me up with better lines. I started running 1:53s and I may gone faster but what I thought was my fastest session my lap timer didn't start:doh:
I caught a cramp on my left leg at turn 10a last session on Sunday while :wow: on the brakes chasing the 3 Cr's who help me all weekend. Just wasn't the way to end the weekend. Thanks all the CR it was still fun.

Folly1

626suzuki;47864 wrote: The best I could get on an almost clean lap was a 1:55. I just feel there is really no way to see what you can do if you keep having to wait on someone else. I also need a little advise on how close is to close when passing on the brakes (B class) ? I can really get a run on some people there but in the straights if we are an even match I'm S**T out of luck.:doh:
I am not an expert on this, but the better way to pass is back off a bit before the turn, giving yourself room to take the turn faster and you will pass them on the exit of the turn. Since you are coming out of the turn faster, you will carry that advantage a good distance down the straight. You will not stay ahead of a 1000 at RA, tho at most tracks you will. It is bad form for them to re-pass you on the straights, esp. if you pass them several times on the exits.

IMHO, "B" group is too un-predictable to do a lot of passing on the brakes, unless there is NO DOUBT that you are going to get by them well ahead of their turn in ( and that can vary alot. )

jasonhise

Folly1;47900 wrote: I am not an expert on this, but the better way to pass is back off a bit before the turn, giving yourself room to take the turn faster and you will pass them on the exit of the turn. Since you are coming out of the turn faster, you will carry that advantage a good distance down the straight. You will not stay ahead of a 1000 at RA, tho at most tracks you will. It is bad form for them to re-pass you on the straights, esp. if you pass them several times on the exits.

IMHO, "B" group is too un-predictable to do a lot of passing on the brakes, unless there is NO DOUBT that you are going to get by them well ahead of their turn in ( and that can vary alot. )
That's exactly what Dave Pullen told me to do, set up the passes better and it worked. I was able to stay in front of the bigger bikes on the back straight when I was riding the ZX-6RR, staying in front of them with the GSXR1K was easy, but I was still using the passing set-up skills Dave spoke of. Thanks once again Dave.:adore:

Teamck16

:agree:Couldnt agree more I was coming into ?8? and almost clipped a red FZ6 because he cut over. I slipped inside about 6 inches from him and as waiting for a control rider to come and bless me out, never happened, guess they saw the situation. No hard feelings to anyone though. I actually got a bump to I sunday- it was awsome!

1ghiaman

Folly1;47900 wrote: I am not an expert on this, but the better way to pass is back off a bit before the turn, giving yourself room to take the turn faster and you will pass them on the exit of the turn. Since you are coming out of the turn faster, you will carry that advantage a good distance down the straight.
When I ride as a CR I always try and ride within the rules of the class. I set up most of my passing of slower riders like this. Turn 5 at Road Atlanta is a perfect example, hang back and make a run to pass them on the exit over the hill. I hate to go deep on the brakes like in 10A for fear of somone following me too close and not being able to stop. If I do pass on the brakes I make sure it's WAY before the turn in point.

626suzuki

Teamck16;47914 wrote: :agree:Couldnt agree more I was coming into ?8? and almost clipped a red FZ6 because he cut over. I slipped inside about 6 inches from him and as waiting for a control rider to come and bless me out, never happened, guess they saw the situation. No hard feelings to anyone though. I actually got a bump to I sunday- it was awsome!
Congrats on the bump. This was my first time at RA and man I love that track.I have to admit I still like barber a little better. I also wanted to get a feel for the nesba crowd and I feel more of a challenge riding with this group. Thanks for the feed back.:D

Teamck16;47914 wrote: :agree:Couldnt agree more I was coming into ?8? and almost clipped a red FZ6 because he cut over. I slipped inside about 6 inches from him and as waiting for a control rider to come and bless me out, never happened, guess they saw the situation. No hard feelings to anyone though. I actually got a bump to I sunday- it was awsome!
Well, there's only 1 red FZ6 in B group so i guess that was me :doh: For that matter, there's only 1 red FZ6 in all of NESBA probablly ;) It was probablly because i screwed up turn 7, I had trouble with that one all day.

Anyways, grats on your bump. Hopefully there's less roadblocks in the I group ^^

lbsaxman

Control Rider
those times seem a little quick

i was running 1:45's in I and didnt have any problems getting around everyone ... it would seem if there were low o:40's in I they would have blow by me ...

snikwad

All I know is that dude with the full white daines leathers on what looked like a gixxer 1k. That mawfuka was moving ALL DAY. I can't tell you how many times he passed me.

meanstrk

Control Rider
My closest call was Saturday when someone on a green Kawi 1K come by me on the back straight so close I actually jumped a little. Other than that, I cut the inside of T12 too tight one time and found out there is a nice little dip in the painted area that threw my front end all wonky.

I had a great weekend running this place for the first time, even though I just was not feeling the front end all weekend and was not happy with how it was turning in. The forks are going out today to Cogent Dynamics for an Ohlins upgrade and new springs though so that should help. I think I will shim the rear a tad to help the turn in as well.

Best lap of the weekend for me was a 1:44.05. I never really got T3 right all weekend and felt all crossed up in T7 and T12 as well. I actually lost a bit of confidence in myself and the bike just due to the lack of feel. Guess we'll see how she does at CMP next month with the new fork set up.......

Teamck16

tomwilliford;48046 wrote: Well, there's only 1 red FZ6 in B group so i guess that was me :doh: For that matter, there's only 1 red FZ6 in all of NESBA probablly ;) It was probablly because i screwed up turn 7, I had trouble with that one all day.

Anyways, grats on your bump. Hopefully there's less roadblocks in the I group ^^
No hard feelings- At least your out there, getting better everytime you go. Im just glad that it didnt end either of our days!

snikwad

meanstrk;48171 wrote: My closest call was Saturday when someone on a green Kawi 1K come by me on the back straight so close I actually jumped a little. Other than that, I cut the inside of T12 too tight one time and found out there is a nice little dip in the painted area that threw my front end all wonky.

I had a great weekend running this place for the first time, even though I just was not feeling the front end all weekend and was not happy with how it was turning in. The forks are going out today to Cogent Dynamics for an Ohlins upgrade and new springs though so that should help. I think I will shim the rear a tad to help the turn in as well.

Best lap of the weekend for me was a 1:44.05. I never really got T3 right all weekend and felt all crossed up in T7 and T12 as well. I actually lost a bit of confidence in myself and the bike just due to the lack of feel. Guess we'll see how she does at CMP next month with the new fork set up.......
i felt the same way. dont know if its the mods or what, but my bike felt foreign to me all weekend. never really felt as good as it did last season.
but new track, and 1st TD of the season, who knows.

the bump on T12 made me nervous, but i found that if i got on the gas early i didnt feel it as much.
T3, yeah, i think i got that right maybe once, all weekend, and T5 intimidated me most of the weekend because its so bumpy. T7 i felt i never got right also.