Did i see a NESBA A sticker?

TeamBeer

I really enjoyed the video, but that ain't real smart! I have ridden the gap quite a few times and you can always expect something unexpected. My 2nd run through there we came up on an oncoming 18 wheeler in our lane as we were going into a lefthander. Luckily we had a pull out on the right and had a place to go. I have ridden through with many people that can't hold their lane in the hairpins. Add all of that to no real runoff (unless you are lucky the way we were), dropoffs into the trees, rock walls and everything else that could happen and I decided to take it to the track. On the track you can actually concentrate on what you are doing and how you are doing it instead of all that other crap that could happen.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Then that would be Herpies, the Clap only comes back if you keep sleeping with the same dirty chick that gave it to you the first time HAHAHA

gixxercurt;165752 wrote: Nah, more like everytime I think it's gone BAM! there it is again.
As for the Video I dont condone this on the street, just cant...all it takes is him making a bus load of kids lose control and crash...He gets 15 counts of manslaughter...I'LL Pass:moon:

Geoff Doyer

Awesome video. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Hopefully next time we'll get to see a close up of him getting killed. Now that would be a real good time! :popcorn:

:wow: total gamble and Death wish in the makeing period :popcorn: Kinda was waiting for the front/rear tire to slide out on the paint stripe. Just like at the Jefferson circuit at summit i remeber the paint stripe there and my tire moveing around, if in fact they still have that stripe at that track.

Blinky

Pretty stupid I say of using some motorcycle skills IMO. I've seen semi trucks using both lanes around blind corners. As I think about it, about 90% of corners are blind up there. Is it really worth risking the life of another to just show off. I could care less about his but to the regular guy who is just strolling along admiring the beautiful route gets creamed head on or in the rear. Then goes sliding down the mountain where rescue workers are unable to get to him in time because he is bleeding out.

Keep the riding on the track and keep it leisure on the street.

bodell

Ok, here we go...

I watched this deals gap video thread develop on three message boards over the past couple weeks.

It has gone full circle over at WERA and the East Tennessee Rider forum, where it originated.

Here is my assessment of the video, it’s threads, and the posts within them from the "Big Picture" perspective.

Here is some background

The original poster (OP) at WERA was from the East Tennessee Rider's forum. This is a street rider forum, and the video went over well with them. They know the road, and many consider it a proving ground of sots. They often quote times when talking about running it.

The video was made by a company who sells photos of people dragging, or trying to drag, a knee at the dragon. (US129photos) Obviously the rider who made this was reciprocating exposure for sponsorship. This type of video attracts business from street riders who want gap photos, just as we buy from pics of you, and for all the same reasons.

The rider, Jared Barnes, definitely has skill and claims to be riding within 80% of his ability while holding 20% in reserve for dealing with mini vans, lane crossers, etc. Based on his record, and my opinion of the road and pace, I believe this. I submit his WERA record for you to form you own assessment.
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerprofile.asp?x=1098&rid=322024524572

The message from the video is, "Come out and get a sick photo from US129".
Is it working? I say yes. The people who detest the video are not going to Deals Gap and buying a photo any how.

The forums
like to argue about danger and risk. Call names, talk about what they used to do, still do, or would never do, etc.

My opinion
is that the video is documentation of an illegal activity and therefore is stupid. It is even more stupid to tie that to a business, and stupider yet to seek support for it in an organization like WERA.

I do not think the rider was a danger to himself or other people. He was well in control, and was at a pace that would allow him to react to any kind of PROBBIBLE
predicament.

But they are wrong anyway. Safe or not, the people who he passed did not sign on for being in his video, nor did he have the right to use a public street for any purpose other than travel. The video is a criminal confession. I don’t know why don’t the police pick him up for reckless endangerment?

bodell

rk97;165825 wrote: Prove it's him.
A detective would start by knocking on the door of us129 and contacting youtube for information on the video's uploader.

There will be plenty of people to testify once they feel the need to cover ass.

Blinky

Yes it would be nice to charge him but you will have to prove that it is in deed his actual bike and that it is him on the bike. The only way is to have some popos setting up at both ends to grab him when he stops. I'm pretty sure he won't stop since he will lose his motorcycle and go to jail. There are so many charges that you could stack up on him for just putting the bike on the street and might get hit with a felony too if the cop knows what he is doing.

rk97

all circumstantial evidence. You're talking criminal charges. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a higher standard of proof by design.

No way charges would stick without his face on camera. Just because it's his bike doesn't mean he's riding it.

bodell

rk97;165832 wrote: all circumstantial evidence. You're talking criminal charges. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a higher standard of proof by design.

No way charges would stick without his face on camera. Just because it's his bike doesn't mean he's riding it.
Untrue. I speak from experience. I was sentenced to 80 days in jail for a wheelie that was not on video. A witness is all that you need. The charge was reckless endangerment.

Please note that this was 15 years ago before you flame me...

rk97

were you wearing a full-face helmet with a dark tinted visor?

I'll say it again - prove it's him.

You're also expecting the police to go to an awful lot of trouble to ticket ONE guy who was speeding through Deal's Gap. They get hundreds or thousands a day, many of whom crash and provide irrefutable evidence that they failed to control their vehicle.

Why would the cops waste time and resources pursuing this one guy, when they have a much stronger case and a full work-load with the 10 others who will generate just as much revenue in fines?

slowpoke

i'm disappointed to see what appears to be a WERA expert promoting unsafe riding. As for the "A" sticker, it looks like that of another org (white w/ a red "A") not that it matters much.

RK - if my car was caught on camera committing a crime, wouldn't that be enough to charge me with that crime? personally, i don't care much what happens or doesn't happen to the guy. i just hate to see others emulating him and getting seriously hurt.

bodell

rk97;165838 wrote:
Why would the cops waste time and resources pursuing this one guy, when they have a much stronger case and a full work-load with the 10 others who will generate just as much revenue in fines?
That video has almost 10,000 views and many people watching the forums discussing it. It would be the most media significant ticket given on the Dragon ever. The cops could use the video as promotion just as much as us129photos.

By the way, a reckless endangerment ticket can carry up to 5 years in NC.
Also, not that it is related, but my witness openly admitted to not seeing my face. You must have never been on the wrong side of the courtroom for you to have such a naive view of our justice system.

I would be just as scared if I were one of the ones filming this. Have you ever heard of conspiracy?
They would all roll on each other in a second. I have seen it before. This would be short work for a Detective, and result in a plea deal before trial. Your "evidence" would never be needed.

Bottom line is this. Nobody is going to face a possible 5 year convection over a deal that does not carry time. Especially if you did it and your only defense is based on a bunch of people covering for you.