Got any riding quirks?

boxertwin

Gorecki;157926 wrote: Just thought this could be an amusing topic. What ritual/weird/OCD types of things do people do for ride prep or while riding.

Anyone else?
I always have to fully seat my gloves between my fingers and adjust the seams just before roll out. Doesn't matter if it's on the street or track, if my gloves aren't "just so", it drives me nuts.

The best pre- ride routine ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWY67PRLGSA&feature=related

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
slow_honda;157972 wrote: Yeah if Steve ain't first in line we call in the medics. Something must be wrong if he's late :D
That's how I know it's 7 am, I see Steve heading over. Then I know it's time to get my ass in gear. Who needs a clock? :D

bmart;157946 wrote: I feel strongly about torque wrenches on any bike before I ride it. I've seen too many guys lose parts while riding because they used the German method...
Was ist das? Kraut bashing??? Nicht gut, nicht gut.

bmart

Control Rider
Ha ha! I've got two of my best riding buddies on to torque wrenches now. It is amazing what you find...when you check! It also gives me a good reason to give the bike a once-over for anything out of the ordinary.

I've seen and heard of all sorts of "torque-free" incidents on the track. I remember when a guy on an R1 at a NESBA track day lost his oil drain bolt and ALL of his oil coming out of the last turn onto a straight. I saw another guy lose a caliper. From my memory, it was the guy at NHIS, my old track, that lost his brake pads (forgot the retaining pin clip) and lost his life going into the bowl, turn six. An unnecessary tragedy for sure!

I never, ever want to be "that guy" who got hurt for no reason and shut down the track for everyone.

No real rituals for me, but I have managed to carry a street habit or two into my track time. I periodically cancel the directionals...just in case I left one on. lol

Be safe all, and keep up those rituals!

stkr

boxertwin;157984 wrote: I always have to fully seat my gloves between my fingers and adjust the seams just before roll out. Doesn't matter if it's on the street or track, if my gloves aren't "just so", it drives me nuts.
You're wierd! :poorguy:

Oh, wait! I do the same thing, except I always put on my left glove first. The left glove first thing isn't a deal breaker, but it still bugs me like it's bad luck or something.

thundertwini

Fastguy;157978 wrote: I like to wear boxer briefs. They allow me to be as agile as a cat on my trusted track steed when contorting myself into the necessary go-fast positions. :cool:

Regular boxers prohibit me from being as flexible. :eek:
you wear underwear? :dunno:

Southerly

Normal routine. Before I start up the bike I give my nuts a good twist by hand to make sure they are tight (not those ones, the ones on the bike, such as brake callipers, wheels, and foot pegs).
Start the bike and finish putting on the gear, putting on the helmet, and then taking it off because I forgot the ear plugs and mouth guard.
Put the helmet on, and then take it off again, because I forgot to clean off the bugs on the visor from the last session.
Put helmet on and ride down to pit out.
Sitting on the grid, I do have a routine I always go through to check that my equipment is snug. I check each boot, the straps on the gloves, zipper and velcro on the suit, and my helmet strap. I also tap my chest to make sure I didn't forget the chest protector. If I look like I a patting myself down, that is what I am doing.

I like going to tech early too. Helps me relax.

I pray. I pray all riders and staff are safe. If any incidents occur they cost the people involved the least amount to learn from the mistake. I pray for my fellow riders and myself that we have a safe fun day the somehow glorifies God as his children play.

BZ

trailmug

bmart;157946 wrote: I feel strongly about torque wrenches on any bike before I ride it. I've seen too many guys lose parts while riding because they used the German method...
Reminds me of seeing someone put on every bolt with an electric impact wrench. Yikes!

noobinacan

trailmug;158099 wrote: Reminds me of seeing someone put on every bolt with an electric impact wrench. Yikes!
lol
I do use a drill to put on bolts, its set to torque setting 1. which is pertty low.
then hand tighten to spec.
with quickness you can do stuff :p

PJZOCC624

I do the North-South-West-East with my right hand before leaving my paddock, and I sound my barbaric yawlp as I pass the track Marshall...

BigBird

Bubba Zanetti;158083 wrote: I pray. I pray all riders and staff are safe. If any incidents occur they cost the people involved the least amount to learn from the mistake. I pray for my fellow riders and myself that we have a safe fun day
I do the same before my first session

Bubba Zanetti;158102 wrote:
There is no better safety wire than cross threaded bolts :D

BZ
That's my new signature :D