Got any riding quirks?

barry38

If I have a few minutes on the grid I'll rest on the tank and close my eyes and visualize the perfect lap, going through all the braking, shifting, throttle etc. If I don't have the time, I close my eyes, three deep breaths, open eyes, click into gear and go.

crewnutz

I take a nap before I go out for pretty much any race and in between sessions at trackdays if I can

I think I slept half the time I was at the TT... lol

noobinacan

crewnutz;158157 wrote: I take a nap before I go out for pretty much any race and in between sessions at trackdays if I can

I think I slept half the time I was at the TT... lol
^ that's exactly what I do too...HA
funny to read this thread and go "yeah...me too" ha

Does this mean, I'm about to be a TT legend like you ?
LOL

crewnutz

noobinacan;158159 wrote: ^ that's exactly what I do too...HA
funny to read this thread and go "yeah...me too" ha

Does this mean, I'm about to be a TT legend like you ?
LOL
hah, legend not so much

(just in my own mind, especially while napping) :D

frankenduc

When I raced I had the "left side" thing going. Put on the left side of all gear first. Left leg into leathers first left boot then right left glove then right. Carried over into everyday life and did it for almost two years after I quit racing.

BigBird;158143 wrote: I do the same before my first session

That's my new signature :D
Glad the statment is a hit LOL!

It came from my Father-in-law who flys airplanes as his hobby. He was showing me how to safety wire the VFR and I was having trouble getting a bolt started for some reason the bastard wanted to cross thread. Jay said : "As a wise ol airplane mechanic said to me, there is no better lock nut than a good cross thread"!

I laughed so hard I had to stand up and walk it off. I just modified the statment for this discussion. Running bolts in with an impact gun is a sure way to cross thread something. But the up side is they won't back out :p

BZ

Rydell

I slide into my turns, usually turn 1 from the straightaway. The Q2's like to screetch real loud - so the first time I took my girlfriend with me... she was talking to one of the flaggers trying to figure out who was screetching their tires in the first turn. So at the end of the day, she said some guy was sliding into T1 and making alot of noise. Yeah, that was me. Not sure, it's a happy medium. Kinda like a reference point. I know I'm going near my limit when i can do a controlled slide into T1.

I remember doing it a little even back when I was B, the CR's were kinda apprehensive about it. "Are you trying to slide or is there something going on with your rear tire?" I grew up riding in dirt since 5, raced for a couple years, probably where I get it from.

Anyway, it must've done some good cause I got the I bump my first day, and was riding in upper I by the end of the weekend :rtfm:

Gorecki

Rydell;158508 wrote: I grew up riding in dirt since 5, raced for a couple years, probably where I get it from.
Totally where you get it from! I've seen situations where suspension guys had to do setups for folks with the same riding style. If it ain't broke! :cool:

Rydell;158508 wrote: I slide into my turns, usually turn 1 from the straightaway. The Q2's like to screetch real loud - so the first time I took my girlfriend with me... she was talking to one of the flaggers trying to figure out who was screetching their tires in the first turn. So at the end of the day, she said some guy was sliding into T1 and making alot of noise. Yeah, that was me. Not sure, it's a happy medium. Kinda like a reference point. I know I'm going near my limit when i can do a controlled slide into T1.

I remember doing it a little even back when I was B, the CR's were kinda apprehensive about it. "Are you trying to slide or is there something going on with your rear tire?" I grew up riding in dirt since 5, raced for a couple years, probably where I get it from.

Anyway, it must've done some good cause I got the I bump my first day, and was riding in upper I by the end of the weekend :rtfm:
I wondered who that was with his leg sticking out and the bike real flat. ;)

MB3

After a few trips through the gravel traps I now quietly speak my family's names prior to each session. Wife, first born son, second son, to remind me that there are more important things than lap times and to bring myself and my bike home in one piece, and to simply have fun dammit. Oh, and the left glove always goes on first. If i mistakenly put the right one on first I start over.

DFlowe

bmart;158045 wrote: Ha ha! I've got two of my best riding buddies on to torque wrenches now. It is amazing what you find...when you check! It also gives me a good reason to give the bike a once-over for anything out of the ordinary.
I'm one of those two buddies you mention here and if I'm not mistaken, the other one is a Control Rider as well.

Thanks for being a "good influence" on all of us.

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks Big D! I like knowing that you are a bit safer out there...but I'm keeping that picture of you holding a torque wrench just in case!

MB3,

I really like that attitude. I find myself telling people all day that this is just "trackday" and it is supposed to be something fun to do with your friends and other like minded folks!

If a rider finds themself at their limit and scaring themselves, or scaring others...back it down and focus on something else, like form, breathing, body position, hitting every brake point and apex, etc.

I worry when I hear people at an event say things like "just like race practice" or "wanted some track time to get my best laptime." That sort of thinking is precisely why I do track days INSTEAD OF racing or attend race practice solely for track time. It is just some fun for me...

To relate to your comment, MB3, I always think of what I would say to someone's wife, mother, or kids if my poor judgement caused their loved one harm. It is one of those life changing things that you don't get a "do over" for!

Be safe all, and have FUN!

b

Gorecki

greeny;158731 wrote: i don't have any riding quirks. i'm just really quirky in general though. :D
Aren't we all too some greater or lesser degree? And truthfully thank goodness! If we weren't we would be ohhh…normal, boring, predictable… something like that. Seems like any human being who is interesting, has character, made a difference in this world is quirky. ;)