How come no liter bikes?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
phoenix;116068 wrote: the thing I find interesting/confusing is that I see quite a few people who ride a 600 on the track and then ride a 1000 around town. Hmm. But sometimes their 1000 is too pretty to risk crashing it on the track I guess.
In my case, it's laziness. A liter on the street is cool as I don't have to shift as much as I'm cruising around!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Morph;116077 wrote: Yea I heard of that guy. I heard he's taking a year off. But he may be around the demo program.
What year? You took last year off. :D Well, at least I didn't see you! Miss you, hope to see you around this year!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Trent1098S;116087 wrote:

Also it's a warning to other "noobs" that although you want to go fast, it takes a bit of patience and time to get there.

Yes, it is possible to throw caution to the wind, go fast, and if you are lucky the skill will catch up to you before you permanently damage your body.

The cost of going fast unprepared can be high. I'd rather steadily improve my skill - pushing just a little bit more each time, rather than trying to make leaps & bounds improvements - so that when I find my limits it'll be soft and subtle, instead of abrupt and painful.

It's relevant to this thread because, for all intents and purposes, literbikes WILL hurt you faster & harder than smaller bikes. Although you can get equally messed up and hurt on *anything*, it's easier to get in WAY the f*ck over your head with the extra horsepower.
Good post!!! :agree: Well-put! Great attitude!

Joe Vital

Morph;116077 wrote: Yea I heard of that guy. I heard he's taking a year off. But he may be around the demo program.
well if you see him, tell him next time he's at the track the beer is on him. just ask him not to bring the rusty spoon.

kawatippi

I had a ZX-10 and sold it. At 6'2" and over 200lbs a 600 does feel a little cramped sometimes but Barry is a big guy and he gets around the track pretty fast on a 600....shows me I have a whole lot more I can get out of me and my 600.

GSXR1000#78

How come no liter bikes?

Because most people take the easy road in life. LOL JK. Someone has to stick up for the liter riders.

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider
because passing a literbike coming out of a turn on a 6, and the other guy not being able to figure out how or why, is one of the finer things in life.

some guy #2

+1 to owning a liter bike!

I love hearing the 600's complain about me rocketing past them :)

I figure the quicker you get down the straights, the more time you have to park it and find the best line through the turn :D

Gorilla

Control Rider
Liter bikes are the cats pajamas. Being competitive on 1000 is much easier than a 600 when your 6'2" and weigh 205+. :D

Landshark

Control Rider
Getting it right on the big bike is more rewarding to me. The lil bike teaches me how much I suck on the big bike.

ERB68

Ok I'll address the gorilla in the room.

600 takes skill to ride fast. Anyone can wack the throttle open on 1000. :)

Matt H

Landshark;116175 wrote: Getting it right on the big bike is more rewarding to me. The lil bike teaches me how much I suck on the big bike.
:agree: If you can find the balls to do it, riding a big bike hard is SUWEEEET!! And yeah, they are more comfy for us >6-foot tall riders as others have mentioned. Yet, the 600's are fun for just sticking it anywhere.

Truth is, the list could go on an on, with pluses and minuses for all (believe me, I know as I have been a bike whore and ridden multiple manufacturers and years 1000's, 750's, 600's, and twins over the past two years. As a general rule or reason though for less 1000's, I would think that cost is the main one - cost to purchase is higher, and tire costs are higher.

(for good measure I'll throw out that i'm dying for Yamaha to build an R8! FZ-8 is out now, right? Now one can put some fuel on the fire of hope..... :D )

GSXR1000#78

ERB68;116191 wrote: Ok I'll address the gorilla in the room.

Just wacking the throttle open does not make you fast, most pro's run very close lap times on their 600's vs when they ride their 1000.

Does carrying higher corner speed in certain areas and keeping RPM's higher take more skill than taming a heavier, more powerful bike that is constantly trying to spit you off? If it took more skill would'nt the 600 class be the premier class in this sport?

dlockhart5x

because a 40hp 125 is all you need

found this gem floating around a 125 site
Michael Barnes on racing 125’s

To excel in racing, you first have to learn the basics. And what could be more basic than a 125cc Grand Prix bike? With a single cylinder pumping out a humble 40 horsepower, and a dry weight of just 160 pounds, 125s would seem the perfect beginner's bikes. But that doesn't mean that more experienced racers can't learn anything from them.
"You can learn riding skills on a 125 GP bike that you just can't get from any other machine," affirms Michael Barnes, who has an uncanny knack for hopping on a Honda RS125 and winning national races--indeed, Barnes won a WERA Formula III national the first time he rode one of the diminutive machines.
"The main thing that 125s can teach you," continues Barnes, "is how to squeeze every possibly bit of speed out of a motorcycle. It really teaches you how to soak every last bit of aerodynamics, jetting and gearing. gearing is really critical, because you need to be exiting every turn with optimum speed and rpm to get a good drive, or you'll loose precious seconds that just can't be made up on a straight. And since, on a 125, you're drive is almost solely based on your cornering speed--which is, in turn, based on your entrance speed--you will quickly learn how to tie all aspects of speed together. And that helps your overall riding, no matter what machine you compete on.

JRA

ERB68;116191 wrote: Ok I'll address the gorilla in the room.

It takes more skill to ride a 1000 fast. The best way to develop that skill needed to ride the 1000 fast is to start on a smaller bike and work your way up.

dlockhart5x;116283 wrote: found this gem floating around a 125 site
Michael Barnes on racing 125’s

To excel in racing, you first have to learn the basics. And what could be more basic than a 125cc Grand Prix bike? With a single cylinder pumping out a humble 40 horsepower, and a dry weight of just 160 pounds, 125s would seem the perfect beginner's bikes. But that doesn't mean that more experienced racers can't learn anything from them.
"You can learn riding skills on a 125 GP bike that you just can't get from any other machine," affirms Michael Barnes, who has an uncanny knack for hopping on a Honda RS125 and winning national races--indeed, Barnes won a WERA Formula III national the first time he rode one of the diminutive machines.
"The main thing that 125s can teach you," continues Barnes, "is how to squeeze every possibly bit of speed out of a motorcycle. It really teaches you how to soak every last bit of aerodynamics, jetting and gearing. gearing is really critical, because you need to be exiting every turn with optimum speed and rpm to get a good drive, or you'll loose precious seconds that just can't be made up on a straight. And since, on a 125, you're drive is almost solely based on your cornering speed--which is, in turn, based on your entrance speed--you will quickly learn how to tie all aspects of speed together. And that helps your overall riding, no matter what machine you compete on.
I'd love a 'smoker' but finding them is not easy and if they are in good condition they are not cheap.

If I was President I'd make sure the two-stroke ban was repealed!!!

I love watching the smoker owners beating up on much more powerful bikes.

Maybe someday I'll be blessed and have one in the stable.

BZ

late rider

Ignorant

Not knowing any better, I started my track experience on an R1 (hereinafter known as "It") that I bought sight unseen (except for some pictures) from a guy with a good reputation. 8 track days in the B group with no crashes but a few outside run offs. This is a humbling experience. Humble is good.

I remain trepidatious every time I take It out. I take good care of It and me. Maybe some day we'll learn to love each other. Right now I'm Its track bitch trying not to piss It off. There is some satisfaction in sitting next to It in the paddock when droolers walk by. Like sharing a table with a real beauty while she waits for her date. :D

ERB68

GSXR1000#78;116276 wrote: Just wacking the throttle open does not make you fast, most pro's run very close lap times on their 600's vs when they ride their 1000.

Does carrying higher corner speed in certain areas and keeping RPM's higher take more skill than taming a heavier, more powerful bike that is constantly trying to spit you off? If it took more skill would'nt the 600 class be the premier class in this sport?
JRA;116287 wrote:
It takes more skill to ride a 1000 fast. The best way to develop that skill needed to ride the 1000 fast is to start on a smaller bike and work your way up.
I was just shit stirring ;)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
some guy #2;116171 wrote: +1 to owning a liter bike!

I love hearing the 600's complain about me rocketing past them :)

I figure the quicker you get down the straights, the more time you have to park it and find the best line through the turn :D
:haha: +1 for the liter