How come no liter bikes?

LUCKEDUCK

I love my R1 it does take some throttle control tho!! Haha !!but it feels sooo good when you make a hard pull out of a turn onto the straight!!hehehe

trickyricky

I've always had smaller bikes for the track as I find it more challenging to get the turns just right and is more rewarding to me to show a wheel to someone that has 400cc on me :D Also, cheaper to run as smaller bikes can be easier on tires, brakes, chains, etc.

But I've had mostly liter bikes on the streets mainly because they get me out of trouble quicker, don't ask me how I got to that reasoning, maybe years of living overseas...

wally

IMO, 600's are way more forgiving. If you are new to the track day scene on a 1000 you better be a student of the sport. Read, watch CR's, ask questions, work on one or two things at a time, each lap for me is a learning experience. If you are killing people down the straights on your liter bike and backing everyone up in the corners take a step back. I love my 1000! It really is more about rider skill at our level than size of the bike. The big bikes are just gunna bite you a lot faster. There's my 2cents.

NickMcCoy

LUCKEDUCK;118179 wrote: I love my R1 it does take some throttle control tho!! Haha !!but it feels sooo good when you make a hard pull out of a turn onto the straight!!hehehe
I think it feels better to pass a 1000 on a 600.

I have nothing against 1000's, I love them for the street and they can be fine for the track up to a certain point. But if you're trying to work on your skills and become a fast rider, a 600 or smaller is the way to go.

alocker

I pass 600's all the time on my 1000. I have also been passed by just as many 600's. Either way, there is always someone faster than you.

For my 250lbs, I find the 1000 fine. Just as long as you don't rely solely on the power to pass. My main focus of development is always corner speed.

BlueMax

Have to say I have a blast with my 750. Never saw the need for a liter bike until BMW came out with there 1000RR. More of a lust thing then a need thing.

Trent1098S

Hell my redline is 10.7k... I get smoked by all the other liter bikes. I pull them in, shift and fall back.. pull them in more.. shift and fall back more.. It's got better since I switch to GP shift, but still nothing like riding the gixxer 1k. That thing pulls way harder than the 1098.

I gotta ride my 1098 more like a 600, try to time it to catch people on corner exit and get a head start on the gas, or make passes on the brakes. The downside is the torque is so heavy down low that there's a real fine line between driving it out and stepping out the rear.

Very unique bike to ride. Got me in to all sorts of bad habits I'm trying to fix this year. :)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Trent1098S;118437 wrote: Hell my redline is 10.7k... I get smoked by all the other liter bikes. I pull them in, shift and fall back.. pull them in more.. shift and fall back more.. It's got better since I switch to GP shift, but still nothing like riding the gixxer 1k. That thing pulls way harder than the 1098.

I gotta ride my 1098 more like a 600, try to time it to catch people on corner exit and get a head start on the gas, or make passes on the brakes. The downside is the torque is so heavy down low that there's a real fine line between driving it out and stepping out the rear.

Very unique bike to ride. Got me in to all sorts of bad habits I'm trying to fix this year. :)
Trent,
I rode a 1098S last season and loved it...+1 on the rear tire slipping out on you and the gsxr 1K being a fast machine...sounds scary but it's fun...:)

RandyO

600 might use less tires, less brakes, less gas but there is a certain satisfaction of powering the front tire off the ground at 125mph and then slinging some big azz heavy bike in to T1 ahead of bike turning 18,000 rpm and not having to upshift of downshift :)

I bet I got at least 150lbs on every bike out there but I can run mid pack pretty good..

If I was concerned with being the fastest guy out there? I would work out, ride a tricked out 600, go to riding school, and race... I am just having fun with what I have to work with and that is what track days are all about IMHO.. Having fun and going to work the next morning... (sore maybe but in one piece)

RandyO

vinny337;118676 wrote: Trent,
I rode a 1098S last season and loved it...+1 on the rear tire slipping out on you and the gsxr 1K being a fast machine...sounds scary but it's fun...:)
A freind I rode with at Barber a couple weeks ago has a new 1098S fast yes, easy to ride? no.. that bike reacted to every input (good or bad) Am guessing that the nature of a true racebike is that it reacts to every input... (thank god my does not.. :) )

Hitman954

RandyO;118958 wrote:

If I was concerned with being the fastest guy out there? I would work out, ride a tricked out 600, go to riding school, and race... I am just having fun with what I have to work with and that is what track days are all about IMHO.. Having fun and going to work the next morning... (sore maybe but in one piece)
:agree: I hate this thread, I have a 1KRR and love it, came off a 954RR and loved it, rode a 600 loved it, rode a DRZ400sm loved it, rode a 125TTR on the ice, what a fricken scream! My point is I like to ride, you want me to ride a 600, buy me one til then Ill ride mine and love it cause I'm riding and thats what I love to do.

rk97

GSXR1000#78;116276 wrote: most pro's run very close lap times on their 600's vs when they ride their 1000.
I think that depends heavily on the track.

I was watching world superbike a couple weeks ago, and they said, "just to let you know how much faster the superbikes are than the 600's, that first lap (from a standing start) was faster than the lap record on a 600 for this track."

Generally I agree with what you're saying - control riders on R6's would turn faster laps than me on an R1, but with a track that favors acceleration heavily enough, or where there's enough straight-away to max out the 600, the liter bikes start becoming very useful.

Thankfully I don't have (local) access to any such tracks, or i might want a thousand.

Atletic7

JRA;115858 wrote: 1000's teach you how to brake early and get on the gas late. 600's teach you the other way around.:D

Plus all the other stuff that's been mentioned.
Nicely said!:agree:
All I will ever need is 600cc. I have more fun. I went from Hayabusa 1300cc to Literbike, I've used 750 last Dec. and now I'm riding 600 with better lap times. :D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
RandyO;118961 wrote: A freind I rode with at Barber a couple weeks ago has a new 1098S fast yes, easy to ride? no.. that bike reacted to every input (good or bad) Am guessing that the nature of a true racebike is that it reacts to every input... (thank god my does not.. :) )
+1 Randy, I use to have a busa I loved that bike, although I never rode mine at the track I still had a lot of fun...:cool:

Domenic

Randy, you need to ride my 04 999 duc. It's like having less power than the current 600cc machines but lots more weight than current 1000cc machines. Talk about fun. It is like wrestling a bull and my poor skills really can't make a difference. Rode the BMWs1000rr for 2 days in Las Vegas. True 1000cc power with 600cc handling. It is a totally different world between 2004 and 2010.